Search for content in message boards

DOWNING, William of Northumberland Co., Va ,1651

Replies: 2

DOWNING, William of Northumberland Co., Va ,1651

Richard N. Downing (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downing
I'm looking for ancestors & descendants of Capt. William Downing who sailed from Bristol, England in 1651 with his wife (name unknown) and two sons, William & John. They settled in the USA up the Chesapeake Bay in Northumberland County, Virginia in "Northern Neck" up the Great Wicomico River.
"Northern Neck" lying between the Potomac and the Rappahanock Rivers was the home of many famous families. George Washington, the Lees, the Balls, the Damerons and many other famous families during the Colonial Days.

William Vincent of Northumberland County was given land for bringing him to America.

"They" say he is either from England or Ireland, but the shipping records in the Custom House at Bristol were destroyed in the riot of 1831.

We have many "cousins" researching his descendants. They are all over, Texas, Oklahoma, Utah, Idaho, California, etc.

Capt. William left his land to his two older sons, William & John. John's decendants have the only male descendants that carried the Downing name to the present time. Capt. William had other children by his first wife and married a second time and had more children. It is John that I am descended from. His descendants migrated across the Chesapeake Bay to Oak Hall, Virginia in what is now the lower Del-Mar-Va Peninsula. They owned all the land where Oak Hall now stands. They founded the Downing Methodist Church South in 1792 which is still holding services and has many Downings in their cementery. The church bulletin describes how the Downings founded their church.

Later my ancestors migrated to Pitsville, Maryland then to Waltersville (now Bivalve), Maryland, then to Salisbury, Maryland, and then to Milford, Delaware where I am from.

Many of my "cousins" belong to "The Downing Family Historical Society of America" which has a great quarterly newsletter "The Downing Family Times". The DFHSA is open to all Downing clans in the USA and has a web site describing it with links to other Downing sites.

http://expage.com/page/downingfamilytimes

I have a list of "cousins" researching the Capt. William Downing line. We hope to pool our knowledge and someday break the barrier to the Captain's ancestors and home lands.

If you are interested e-mail me at:

rdowning@peganet.com

All "cousins" are welcome.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Richard N. Downing 9 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
kdown1938 9 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT 
DWoodard3495 24 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic