Search for content in message boards

Callie Bayward Dunagan

Replies: 8
Posted: 7 Dec 2012 9:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
My dad passed away in Sept. I am still getting family info ready for a book
I really cant remember if I sent you info or not. Let me know
Here is dads obit

Otis Ardway Dunagan, 83, of Corsicana, went home to be with his Savior Jesus Christ on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, at his home with his family by his side.

Otis was born Dec. 27, 1928, in Emmett, Texas, the 11th child of Callie Bayward and Audie Nora Dunagan. He moved to Corsicana at the age of 22 with his mother after the death of his father. At George's Grill, he met and fell in love with Oma Mae Qualls and they were married Sept. 1, 1954. Otis and Mae were married for 44 years until her death on March 21, 1999. They made their home in Corsicana and had six children. He was a loving son, husband, father and grandfather.

Otis loved Corsicana and all who lived there. He worked tirelessly with the Salvation Army, and helped establish the Eleventh Avenue Baptist Church in the early 1950s where he was the associate pastor and song leader until the time of his death. He and other like-minded, great men established the Corsicana Police Reserve, Corsicana Emergency Corps and the Navarro County Sheriff's Reserve. Otis loved God and was a Mason for over 50 years. He was a Master Mason and a member of both the Corsicana and Winkler Chapters. He was a past Worshipful Master of the Winkler Lodge and a recipient of the Golden Trowel Award. He was also a member of the Corsicana Chapter of the Eastern Star with Mae for many years before her death.

Otis dedicated his life to his church, his family and his community. He worked faithfully to make Corsicana a safer and better place to live. He was involved in law enforcement as a reserve police officer, reserve deputy sheriff and constable for over 50 years. In addition to police work, he responded to natural disasters and many personal tragedies as a member of the Corsicana Emergency Corps. He was also a member of many other civic organizations and charities over the years. Otis will truly be missed by all who knew and loved him.

Mr. Dunagan is preceded in death by his loving wife Oma Mae Dunagan, daughers Betty Brunton and Patricia Doss, son Billy Earl Jackson, his parents, 10 brothers and sisters and his grandson Joey Barnett.

Mr. Dunagan is survived by his daughter Debra Hardin of Corsicana; sons and daughters-in-law, Kenneth and Sandy Dunagan of Corsicana, and Paul and Gina Dunagan of Dallas; life companion Margarett Parsons; eleven grandchildren and many great-grandchildren.

The family will receive friends at Griffin-Roughton Funeral Home Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 from 5 to 8 p.m.

Services for Mr. Dunagan will be 10 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2012, at Griffin-Roughton Funeral Home with Reverend Rufus Nutt and Reverend Tony Stephens officiating. Graveside services will follow at the St. Elmo Cemetery in Winkler, Texas.

Pallbearers will be Phillip Barnett, Kenneth Anthony Dunagan, Callie Dunagan, Daniel Dunagan, Jason Brunton, Jeremy Doss, Eric Chapman and Elvis Anderson. Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Corsicana Emergency Corps and area Masons.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Corsicana Emergency Corps or the Eleventh Avenue Baptist Church.

Online guest book available www.griffin-roughton.com

Arrangements by Griffin-Roughton Funeral Home, Corsicana

Thank you for your help,

Debra J Hardin
Lakes Regional IDD/Local Authority
HCS Administrative Assistant/Research and Statistical Tech I
800 N Main, Suite N
Corsicana, Texas 75110
903-872-2491 ext 1818 Office
903-874-9149 Fax
903-229-8796 Cell
debrah@lrmhmrc.org