Search for content in message boards

The Johannis Duncan project-getting past the dead end. Help!!

Replies: 18

The Johannis Duncan project-getting past the dead end. Help!!

Posted: 20 Dec 2010 1:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Duncan
We all know that Johannis, didn't just drop from the sky, and I know over the years dozens of people have researched his origins, however I am determined that there must be some information somewhere in regards to his lineage.

I found a book called "Aberdeenshire Epitaphs" and in that book I found a section called "Henderson Epitaphs." In this book I found this:

"In 1449, John of Fyffe, collector of the King's rent in the shires of Aberdeen and Banff, accounted for thirty-six shillings of rent of the third part of Rothiebrisbane, which belonged to the widow of John Duncan."

I found this website: http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/scotnames101.shtml that says the Scottish Gaelic translation of Johannis is John.

Also, Rothiebrisbane, not Rothybrisbane as so many people have it listed. In the same book I found this:

"The lands of Little Rothie were conferred by Robert the Bruce upon Thomas Brisbane, and from this circumstance they became afterwords known as Rothiebrisbane."

The only reason I thought that might have any significance because when searching the net I also found this:

"Common tradition again previously bore that the name Robertson derived from the head of the clan in the days of King Robert the Bruce who having had certain signal services rewarded by that King with grant of lands on the upper waters of the Garry, adopted the King's cognomen as his family name. It seems well established, however, that the Gaelic name of the clan Donached, pronounced Donnachy and translated Duncan, was derived from an ancestor of that name, fourth of descent from Conan, son of Henry, last of the ancient Celtic Earls of Atholl.

Another writer says: "A few miles from the Barracks of Perthshire can still be traced a battlefield of Duncan of Atholl the first chief of the clan in the cause of his kinsman Robert the Bruce from whom came the name Robert to Duncan's heir founding the later surname of Robertson with the name Strauan. Nearby is Leam Donnach Reamber 'Duncan's leap across the Ericht' when scouting in disguise as a harper he was pursued from the enemy's camp. Near the Barracks shore is isle Rannoch where later McDougall of Lorne captured in his flight was imprisoned by Duncan.""

Then lastly, I found a book called "The history of Scotland from the house of Stuart." And I found Johannis' name in there from 1449, however it is either in Scottish Gaelic or Latin, neither which I know how to read. http://books.google.com/books?id=vNI_AAAAcAAJ&pg=PA484&a...

If anyone want to help me try and figure this stuff out, and see if we can find Johannis Duncan's origins, it would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
michelleinc 20 Dec 2010 8:58PM GMT 
ahamp2 13 Feb 2011 2:21AM GMT 
Tom Duncan 13 Feb 2011 4:00PM GMT 
ahamp2 16 Feb 2011 1:37AM GMT 
michelleinc 16 Feb 2011 2:53AM GMT 
michelleinc 16 Feb 2011 3:01AM GMT 
Debbie Albrit... 16 Feb 2011 5:24AM GMT 
michelleinc 16 Feb 2011 12:41PM GMT 
MargeStone60 3 Apr 2011 1:31PM GMT 
Wolfe327821 10 Sep 2013 8:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions