Search for content in message boards

Dunham, Martha Lewis, Hornell, NY

Replies: 19

Re: Father - David Dunham

Posted: 23 Apr 2013 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dunham
For Don Dunham, or his descendants: My name is Mary Catherine Dunham Szabo. Don, I just happened to be playing around online, trying to find out if I had any ancestors who served in the Civil War, and found your message of 13 years ago. I am the daughter of Richard Dunham, your father's brother, so we are first cousins! I can give you information about my part of the family if you want it. I an give you a little info about our aunt Katherine Dunham Bullock, but I lost track of that branch of the family after she died in, as I recall, 1974 or 1975.

Briefly, my father was an instructor and then assistant professor at Wayne University (now Wayne State University) in Detroit, MI, where he met and married my mother. In 1947 he joined the faculty at the University of Wyoming first as associate professor and then full professor and chairman of the Department of Speech and Drama. He retired in 1969 and moved to Denver, CO where he lived until his death in December 1988. Your info about Hawaii is incorrect; I don't think he was ever there.

I can give you lots more information about your Uncle Richard and our part of the family if you wish. I'd rather not have it online, though. While I am not active in family genealogy, one of my daughters-in-law is. She and my youngest son even named their youngest child Samuel Allen!

Do you have the books, "Ancestors of Jerry Crary and his wife Laura Antoinette Dunham" and "Ancestors and Descendants of Richard Dunham and his wife Laura Allen"? That's basically all the information I have. I didn't find any mention of anybody serving in the Civil War, so evidently we don't have Civil War ancestors, although we do have an ancestor who served in the American Revolution. Per my father, his Aunt Laura wanted to join the Daughters of the American Revolution, which was the motivation for the research. The second book mentioned above is online here: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/gdc/scd0001/2008/20080912001an...
If there's an online version of the other, I couldn't find it.

Just by chance, I decided to google "David Roy Dunham" and found your message from 13 years ago. If this reply gets through to you or your family, not only I but my children and grandchildren will be delighted to find more relatives! My father and mother were neither of them very close to their families, pretty much a "Christmas card" sort of relationship. I never was in close touch with any of my cousins, known or unknown, so have completely lost track. To the best of my knowledge, I never did meet, even as a child, any of your father's children from his first wife, so I can't help you there.

I have only a trial subscription to ancestry.com and don't plan to get a paid one, so hopefully they will send an alert and/or give you my email address if you respond after the trial is up (I think it's 2 weeks, which would be 5/7/2013).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
S Martinez 18 Nov 2002 12:14AM GMT 
Barbara_Roggo... 5 Jun 2012 7:47PM GMT 
marcatsz 24 Apr 2013 4:51AM GMT 
anvalee 18 Nov 2002 12:20AM GMT 
Nancy Wildman 18 Nov 2002 1:31PM GMT 
Davilia1 24 Oct 2011 9:53AM GMT 
marcatsz 13 May 2013 1:18AM GMT 
Gratia Mahony 19 Jun 2004 4:01PM GMT 
marcatsz 24 Apr 2013 9:09PM GMT 
marcatsz 24 Apr 2013 2:57AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions