Search for content in message boards

John Durrett circa 1690-1775 Virginia

Replies: 0

John Durrett circa 1690-1775 Virginia

Posted: 21 Apr 2014 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Durrett
Joy Durrett, wants to know how I arrived at a birth year & place for John Durrett of Spotsylvania.

King and Queen: created in 1691, from New Kent, county court records were lost in fires in 1828 and 1865. One plat book and three mid-nineteenth century Superior Court record books survive

King William: created in 1702, all county court records prior to 1885 (except for seventeen will books) were destroyed in a fire in that year (1885)

Spotsylvania: created in 1724 from King & Queen, King William, Essex. Records in good shape – a few books lost. 1st Spotsy Order Book -September 1724 is missing.

YES – Spotsy was created prior to Caroline. This is clearer if one looks at maps.

Caroline: created in 1728, most records prior to 1863 were destroyed during the Civil War. Some deeds and wills are recorded in extant Chancery Papers, and a considerable number of order books and loose papers survive. The first surviving order book begins 11 May 1732,

John Durrett, when Spotsylvania was created in 1724, lived on land that he already owned which had been in King & Queen.

More Durrett(s) were already landowners prior to 1724 & 1728 - formation of these two counties.

How I determined an approximate life span for John Durrett:

Started with the hard date of his death in 1775. His chronology shows he had to be quite elderly in 1775. Age 85 seemed reasonable & he had a son Richard of Albemarle, so John had to be born earlier than 1700 so I use “Circa” 1690. For Richard of Albemarle I use “Circa” 1710, making John 20 when Richard was born. This is reasonable, I think. But could go 10 years either way, thus the beauty of “Circa” or “cir”. If Richard of Albemarle was born in 1700, then John was older by 10 years - which I seriously doubt.

The average life span for all persons in the 1700's was around 35! Less than 20% of colonials had only 1 spouse. Death was the cause then (divorce today). If 1/2 of their children lived to adulthood, was considered VERY LUCKY.

Colonial women (should say girls) married young, some as young as 13. Colonial males rarely married that young, they were expected to have acquired the wherewithal to support a family.

Find a board about a specific topic