Search for content in message boards

When Easter Became Estes - Mississippi

Replies: 1

When Easter Became Estes - Mississippi

Posted: 30 Sep 2012 1:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
For whatever reason unknown to us "moderns", the Easter family changed its name beginning with the 1870 Census. What was known of them before ended with the 1860 Census.

Armed with a bare minimum of data and much searching, I was able to uncover this family by substituting different spellings of what the name of Easter could be interpretted as by the transcribers here at ancestry. I tried East and Ester and that latter one brought up a spelling I would never have arrived at on my own. Searching for Milly Ester the search hit on a Milly Estes and after seeking out the census page, I found all of her children known only by their initials.

We already knew the first and some middle names of Thomas & Milly Danner Easter's children. And we knew too the birth order of those kids. The following sequence of known data before 1870 is followed by what the 1870 census showed. Mother Milly (Estes), b. 1820 remained the same in 1870 in Tippah County, Mississippi where it was already recorded that she died.

Then came her children, (the 1870 census data is in parenthesis): Mary Jane, b. 1843 (M J b.1843); William, b. 1847 (W S b. 1846); Thomas, b. 1849 (T J b. 1849); Charles W., b. 1852 (C W b. 1851); James O., b. 1853 (J O b. 1854); Milly A., b. 1856 (M A b. 1856); and Robert A., b. 1858 (R A b. 1858). All too in the proper birth order.

Rediscovered then, I had finally found what had happened to our Easter/Danner families. From 1870 on, the Thomas Easter & Milly Danner Easter descendants were to be known by the last name of Estes. I wonder still how this came to be so. I wonder too if any of their descendants know or ever knew that the matriarch of thier little tribe was named Milly for her own grandmother, Amelia Stokes Getzen Danner, the mother of Milly Easter's father, John Getzen Danner, son of Thomas George Getzendanner of Maryland & South Carolina.

Perhaps I am the last to make this discovery, but I wonder who else may have known prior. Anyone?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
William M Dan... 30 Sep 2012 7:42PM GMT 
cafegirl888 5 Mar 2013 12:15AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic