Search for content in message boards

George & Friedrich Ehrhardt of Holstein, Russia (Volga Germans who immigrated to Canada and USA)

Replies: 0

George & Friedrich Ehrhardt of Holstein, Russia (Volga Germans who immigrated to Canada and USA)

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 6:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Erhardt, Erhart, Ehrhart, Ehrhard, Chrispens, Hoffman, Kell, Keller, Knaus, Martin, Quindt, Schneider, Spight
I am looking for information on the family of George Ehrhardt (b. 21 Jan 1860 in Holstein, Russia and d. 27 Jan 1937 in Portland, Oregon) and his brother Friedrich "Fritz" Ehrhardt (b. Jun 1856 in Holstein and d. 25 Oct 1923 in Los Angeles). They were Volga Germans who immigrated to Winnipeg, Canada from Russia with their families (Fritz/Fred between 1901-1903 and George in Nov 1906). I have information on the Ehrhardts who lived in Holstein from about 1800-1850 from church records, but given that George and Friedrich were born later, I trying to figure out which branch they are connected to and who their parents were.

George married Charlotte Schneider (b. 22 Feb 1858 in Rosenberg, Russia and d. 20 Jul 1935 in Portland, Oregon) in 1880 in Russia. They had six children (4 girls - Pauline, Amalia, Mary & Anna and 2 sons - Alex & David) born between 1882 and 1903 in the villages of Holstein, Unterdorf and possibly Oberdorf (based on the obituaries of the children). The whole family immigrated to Winnipeg, Canada in 1906 - George & Charlotte immigrated in Nov 1906 with Amalia, Mary, Anna and David (Pauline and Alex immigrated with their spouses and children a month earlier). Over the next few years, the family spread out and George's children ended up living in Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Nebraska, Alberta and British Columbia. Surnames of the daughter's spouses were Keller (Pauline), Knaus (Amalia), Kell (Mary) and Martin (Anna).

Friedrich married Amalia Spight (or Chrispens) in 1897 in Russia and had two sons (Friedrich b. 1898 and Alex b. 1899) and possibly a daughter. Amalia had another daughter (Amalia "Emily" b. 1883) from a previous marriage. Friedrich and Amalia Ehrhardt immigrated with their sons and daughter to Winnipeg between 1901 and 1903 and lived there until 1923. They moved to Los Angeles with their son Alex and his wife Molly Hoffman in May 1923, while their son Friedrich stayed behind in Winnipeg. Friedrich Sr. died in Los Angeles 5 months later and Amalia died there in 1941. Friedrich's step daughter Emily married George Quindt in Russia and lived in Winnipeg for several years before moving to Chicago and eventually to Florida.

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has information on this family or on any Ehrhardts from Holstein, Russia and would be happy to share what I have on the family and descendants.

Variations of the name Ehrhardt are often "Erhardt, Erhart, Ehrhart or Ehrhard".

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions