Search for content in message boards

Robert S. Eidson, Cobb County Georgia

Replies: 4

Robert S. Eidson, Cobb County Georgia

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Everyone.

Last year, I posted on these very message boards looking for information on John Robert Eidson and his wife Mary Catherine Harris who was my ancestors younger sister. This couple were married in Greene County Georgia and moved to Oglethorpe County Georgia where they died. They had a son named Robert Shelton Eidson who was born in 1839. In family information George sent me, he had Robert Shelton Eidson as being the same Robert S. Eidson who moved to Cobb County Georgia. I tried contacting George with email I used last and haven't reieved a resonse yet. George is not alone, everyone I have talked too about this family believes that the Robert S. Eidson of Cobb County is the son of John Robert Eidson of Oglethorpe County. HOwever, I don't believe this is so and I have proof.

Robert S. Eidson of Cobb County married his first wife Cynthia Elizabeth Steele on Dec 22, 1868 in Cobb County. Yet in the 1870 Oglethorpe County Census, we find a Robert S. Eidson living alone who is the correct age. So this can't be the Robert S. Eidson of Cobb County. This Robert S. Eidson of Oglethorpe County married Lorena Elizabeth Bowling in Oglethorpe County on April 29, 1872. This couple moved to Jackson County Georgia and are buried at the Commerce City Cemetery there. R. S. Eidson as he is listed on his tombstone was born on Nov 17, 1839 and died Nov 14, 1909. There is a military marker on the Grave of R. S. Eidson which says Co. K, 8th Georgia Reg. Inf. CSA. This company was from Oglethorpe County, and Robert Shelton Eidson had a brother named Joseph Eidson who also served in this company. I have checked the muster rolls of this company and a Robert S. Eidson is listed. It says:

Eidson, Robert S (or Edison)- private 1861. Discharged in
1861. Enlisted as a private in Co. K, 66th Regiment Ga. Inf. August
14, 1863. Surrendered, Greensboro, N. C. April 26, 1865.

So in conclusion, I do not believe that Eidson's of Cobb County Georgia are directly descended from those in Oglethorpe County. They may be related but are two separate lines. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Vance C. Harris
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
harrisbrewing 31 Mar 2011 9:00AM GMT 
eidson 2 Apr 2011 7:00PM GMT 
harrisbrewing 2 Apr 2011 7:15PM GMT 
eidson 2 Apr 2011 7:43PM GMT 
harrisbrewing 2 Apr 2011 7:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions