Search for content in message boards

Brightwell Rather Elder b. 1818 GA

Replies: 10

Brightwell Rather Elder b. 1818 GA

Robin Galloney (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2004 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elder, Littleberry?
I am a Brightwell Rather Elder descendant through my father's grandfather, George Bedford Elder of Mississippi. I am still trying to figure out who BR's parents were.

Apparently, many cousins think that Brightwell is the son of Littleberry Percy Elder of Harris Co GA and his first wife Penelope Waters, since both men appeared next door to each other in the 1840 Harris Co census. But I cannot find Littleberry prior to his marriage in 1812 or who his parents were. But apparently he was from VA, and Brightwell listed his father was from VA and his mother was from GA, so that would be a match w/Littleberry. Interestingly, my greatgrandfather George Elder's younger brother was named "Claude Littleberry Elder", so there must be a tie to him. I thought that researching a name like Littleberry would be rather easy, but I was quite mistaken - a Yahoo search of "Littleberry" came up with thousands of men w/the first name Littleberry! I did see one reference to a family of Littleberry daughters in Virginia in the early 1700's who married there and the author seemed to think that they named their sons after their surname.

One other very interesting link I found and would like input from cousins on is the man in Dinwiddie Co VA named "Brightwell Rather" who was born in 1767. Our Brightwell's parents HAD to have known him - that cannot be a common name for a little baby! (Although Littleberry fooled me!) He is noted to have conveyed property to his brother Jesse Rather in Dinwiddie, who also was conveyed property there in 1797 by an EDMUND ELDER! Could there be a connection? I need help!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Robin Galloney 17 Aug 2004 2:44AM GMT 
S.W. Russell 29 Dec 2004 3:36PM GMT 
ChanElder 19 Jun 2005 3:24AM GMT 
hgrc96 20 Jun 2005 4:50PM GMT 
Chandler Elder 20 Jun 2005 9:59PM GMT 
Robin Galloney 20 Jun 2005 11:18PM GMT 
ChanElder 27 Jun 2005 4:56AM GMT 
pelderva 4 May 2010 3:16PM GMT 
Chandler Elder 21 Jun 2005 3:43AM GMT 
hgrc96 24 Jun 2005 3:00AM GMT 
per page