Search for content in message boards

Thomas Henry Ewell from "Virginia"

Replies: 0

Thomas Henry Ewell from "Virginia"

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 9:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ewell
I'm trying to track down a Thomas Henry Ewell who, according to census information from his children, was born in "Virginia" (can't say whether it is Virginia or West Virginia at this point) abt 1801. He married one Abigail _______, who herself was from Pennsylvania. Thomas H. lived in Greene Co., PA for some time (most likely meeting and marrying Abigail while there) as he appears in the Dunkard, Green, PA 1830 and 1840 US Census there. All four of his children were born in PA, at least two have been confirmed as being born in Greene Co. (fair bet the others were as well). By 1850, the remainder of his family (Abigail and the four children) are living in Tyler Co., Virginia (now Tyler Co., WEST Virginia)--and there is no sign of Thomas.

The children were:
- Amos Ewell, b: 1829 PA, m: Sarah Starkey, d: 1919 TX
- Thomas H Ewell; b: 1830 PA, m: Drusilla Cornell, d: 1907 WV
- Sarah Jane Ewell; b: 1833 PA, m: Jeremiah Bullman..., d: 1898 WV
- John S Ewell; b: 1835 PA, m: Nancy Shriver, d: 1900 TX

Unfortunately, Thomas H. (Sr.) appears to have gone by "Henry" but used Thomas H. on several legal documents, so its not as easy tracking him.

In 1800, so far, I'm only (really) seeing the Accomack Co., VA Ewells (23 1800 VA census entries listed), but I have no idea how Thomas H. tracks back to any of them.

Any pointers or ideas would be immensely helpful. Also, if anyone has any idea why Thomas might had migrated from wherever he was in "Virginia" to Greene Co., PA, that would also be welcomed. He was the only Ewell (by name) listed in Greene Co. for at least 20 years, so I'm trying to figure out the draw.

Thanks.

-Alex Senkevitch

Find a board about a specific topic