Search for content in message boards

Friends Cove

Replies: 2

Friends Cove

Posted: 4 Jul 2006 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beltz, Metz, Diehl, Shoemaker
In 2003, I went searching for Friends Cove. It is in Bedford County, se. of Bedford, just to the ne. of Rainsburg, off of Rte. 326. It is actually in Colerain Twp. Today, there is no town of Friends Cove. I was told by a local gas station owner that it is the name that refers to the valley there along Rte. 326. The cemetery where Exline relatives are buried is behind 2 churches (referred to as the "Two Brick Churches Cemetery"). The older church is the Old Double Brick Church erected in 1833. The sign on the front says that it housed both the Lutheran and Reformed Congregations until 1886. The other church is a more contemporary church, The Friends Cove UCC Church. There is also another cemetery in the area called the Woods Cemetery, but I could find no Exlines as I walked through it. I have photos of graves of Eliz. Exline (Dec. 1, 1763 to June 12, 1831) and Philip H. Exline (Dec. 11, 1762 to Jan. 25, 1829) that were behind the Two Brick Churches. I also have pictures the graves of Andrew Belts, Julian Belts, Samuel Beltz, Maj. Henry Beltz, William Metz and his wife, all related by marriage to the Exlines. There are also Diehls, Shoemakers, and many other German names that come up when reading about the Exlines in that time period. There is a wonderful historical society at 242 E. John Street in Bedford, Pa. (history@bedford.net) that I encourage you to visit if you have time visiting that area.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Exline7173 4 Jul 2006 4:07PM GMT 
sihrman 27 May 2007 11:56PM GMT 
mmcclure1 22 Nov 2008 12:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions