Search for content in message boards

What became of Lord Fairfax's land?When?

Replies: 13

Re: What became of Lord Fairfax's land?When?

Posted: 28 Mar 2002 2:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Aug 2006 12:39PM GMT
After 10 Oct 1779 grants were issued by the Virginia state government and executed by the governor. Lord Fairfax first issued a land patent in Fairfax County in 1661 to Robert TURNEY. The last patent was issued in 1679 to Wm. DUDLEY. The sale or lease of land is how they became rich as the land was given to them by the crown of England and handed down in the families when a Lord died. A grant had to be cultivated and a house built within three years of the date of the grant to become seated. Many land that were not seated were returned to the proprietors. Catherine d/o Lord Thomas Culpeper m. Thomas 5th Lord of Fairfax in 1690. See
MITCHELL, Beth; Beginning at a White Oak, Patents and Northern Neck Grants of Fairfax Virginia; McGregor & Warner;1977,1979; Available from Fairfax County Virginia Publications Center 4100 Chain Bridge Road., Fairfax, Virginia 22030
DaveCall@aol.com
Fairfax,VA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ChrisNina 23 Aug 2003 12:06PM GMT 
Sharon Natoli 23 Aug 2003 4:50PM GMT 
doerschlag 13 Apr 2005 3:11PM GMT 
DaveCallarman 28 Mar 2002 9:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

  • Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions