Search for content in message boards

William Carr FARMER -- b. abt. 1804 VA

Replies: 6

Re: William Carr Farmer

Posted: 20 Mar 2007 12:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Farmer, Dudley, Parrish, Tucker, Carr, Abbot
Pat,
This is your other friend from Florissant, Jim Farmer. I want to correct something you said near the end of your 2nd post (the long one with all the wills on it) on March 11. There is one small item that I am surprised was not caught by Bob Farmer in his response to your post. And that it is that I and not Bob Farmer who is the descendant of George W. and Samuel B. Farmer. I believe George R. Farmer and Bob Farmer of Florissant are the same person and that the R. stands for Robert. Maybe if he is reading this post he can clear that up for us. And yes, he has done a lot of research. (Although, let add at this point that my dad’s name is Bob (b.1928 Kansas) also but he is not doing any research. He just turned 80 last Sept. But believe it or not Bob Farmer or George R. (descendant of Barnard) lives about 1 half mile from my dad, Bob Farmer (descendant of Matthew who was the brother of Barnard) Remember now, Bob has concluded through his research in Virginia and in St. Charles Co. Mo. that Matthew (b1759-1761 my gggg grandfather, father of Samuel B.(b1803) who was the father of George W.(b1832)) was the brother of Barnard and that both boys were the sons of Frederick Sr. (the son of John, who was the son of Henry). That makes Frederick Sr. my 5th great grandfather. I figure that Bob and I are 5th cousins once removed. And I think that is what you were trying to get at. So if you are also a descendant of John, the father of Frederick Sr., all three of us are related.

I have a point to make about how all of these people must have known and/or where related to each other. Please don’t get bogged down with the details.

Remember I wrote to you once and said that Annie H. Dudley who married my gg grandfather George W. grew up living next door to Bird Farmer. Annie’s father Peter (d. 1855) was from Ky and was the grandson of Ambrose Dudley the Revolutionary War vet turned Baptist pastor who was from Va. and moved to Lexington, Ky after the war in a mass move of a large group of Baptist called the “Traveling Church”. Peter would have been in his late teens or early 20s when he moved out to Mo. with his parents John and Nancy Patsy Parrish (who died in Palmyra, Marion Co. in 1831 the year after Peter’s marriage to Margaret Tucker). Peter’s wife was Margaret Tucker who was born in Va. and moved out to Mo. with her widowed mother, Clarissa Smith Tucker after John had died in Va. (I’m not sure about that last statement. Maybe John Tucker brought his family out to Lincoln Co. Mo). Anyway, George W. might have known that he was related to Bird Farmer and that is how he might have met his wife, Annie, the teenage girl neighbor of Bird. George W. about 13yrs older than Annie when they got married after the Civil war in 1865. George worked in the tobacco factory in Flint Hill (per 1860 Cuivre Township census – was listed at age 26 yrs with 3 other younger men all “tobacconist” ) about 3 miles south of the farms of the widow Margaret Dudley and her neighbor Bird Farmer. I have determined the location of Bird’s farm from his will and it was just north of the Lincoln and St. Charles Co. line. I have also determined the location of the farm of Samuel Farmer where George W. would have grown up on and found it is located only about 6 miles south of the farm of Bird. Also, we learned from Bob/George R. Farmer that Matthew Farmer (b. 1759/61) moved out to St. Charles Co. in about 1834/5 as an old man looking for a better life and must have moved out there with his son Samuel and his young family of Frances Carr Farmer and 3 young children and maybe other adults children of Matthew. (or maybe Samuel and the others were moving out to Mo. to buy cheap land per the 1820 Land Act – land was $2.50 to $5.00 per acre – and they took their elderly father with them.)
The point to all of this is that I believed that people in the great Westward movement of this country, for the most part, made the move with other families which would have been extended families members and former neighbors all from the same counties in Va. or nearby counties. Note that tobacco became a cash crop in west St. Charles Co. Family names such as Abbot, Carr, Farmer, Glass, Ragland, Tucker, Priddy, Parrish, Dudley, Parker should be used as clues to connect these communities and families. Also the middle names of the male descendants of English settlers in early Virginia should also be used as a clue. The surname of the mother or grandmother is used often as the middle name. Sometime it is used as a first name as in the case of my great grandfather Dudley farmer whose mother was Annie Dudley daughter of Peter Dudley and Margaret Tucker Dudley.

Therefore, back to William C. Farmer. (It is possible that the “C.” stands for Carr, the maiden name of his mother Frances.) We see the two Farmer brothers, sons of Samuel B. grandsons of Matthew, married girls who were neighbors to each other. If I got this right, Mary Abbot was the stepdaughter of Bird Farmer.

Also, note that rsnyder20041 said that William Carr Farmer died in 1903/4 in Gladewater, Tx . which is about 20 miles more or less from GRAYSON Co. Tx. where Samuel B. Farmer lived with the family of his 2nd youngest son Burk Farmer and wife Susie and four daughters per the 1880 census of Grayson Co. Tx. (6-PCT page 17). Here is another example of two brothers moving with their families out of state and bringing their elderly father with them.

Also I want to caution everyone that there were two Samuel Farmers in Mo. around the 1840s and 50s. My ggg grandfather went by Samuel B. He is Samuel B. in the 1830 Franklind Co. Va. census and in the 1850 Dist. 78 census of St. Charles Co. Mo (the 1850 census has him down as Samuel “D” and not “B”). and S. B Farmer in the 1840 census of the Cuivre township. (Although he is widowed Samuel with out the “B.” in the Curvre township census of Flint Hill in 1860 and also, I have three Land Patent documents that prove he bought property from the Gov. in 1838 and 1840 (all connected) in the Flint Hill area about 2 or 3 miles NW of the GM plant in Wentzvill in sect. 10 of township 47-N Range 1-E of the 5th PM MO St. Charles Co. While at the same time the other Samuel Farmer (with out a middle letter) bought property in Lincoln Co. from the Gov. in 1841 in sect.28 of township 50-N range 2-E No 5th PM MO Lincoln Co.

Jim Farmer,
Florissant – jgfarmer@juno.com

P.S. I am posting info and documents about the Mo. descendants of Matthew Farmer at a Yahoo Group web page. I just started it. I have a few docs on Samuel.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LouisFarmer/?yguid=230334625
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rsnyder20041 10 Mar 2007 2:13AM GMT 
patfarmer 11 Mar 2007 3:51AM GMT 
rsnyder20041 11 Mar 2007 3:15PM GMT 
patfarmer 11 Mar 2007 6:00PM GMT 
jgfarmer2 25 Mar 2007 8:45PM GMT 
jgfarmer2 27 Mar 2007 6:36PM GMT 
jgfarmer2 20 Mar 2007 6:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions