Search for content in message boards

farrar -Va.

Replies: 44

Re: John Farrar et al.

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello, just found your post and need to let you know of a correction to the tree. John Farrar of Goochland who married Mary Wadlow is definitely not the son of John Farrar of Albemarle Co. Just proved it out this week.

I descend from John Farrar, b. 1725-30 from Amherst Co., VA who married Elizabeth Lyon, daughter of John and Jean Lyon of Amherst. John Farrar with the Lyons and his brother Peter Farrar (both mentioned in the will of John Farrar of Albemarle, 1764) went to Caswell Co., NC taking their nephews William and Benjamin Jopling with them. These families stayed together in NC.

John Lyon d. Caswell Co. in 1784 and left his will mentioning his other children back in Amherst Co., VA as well as his daughter Elizabeth Farrar of Caswell Co., NC (my line). His son-in-law John Farrar was one of the executors of the will. John Lyon still owned property on Rich Cove off the Rockfish River in Amherst Co. and his children intermarried into the Samuel Bailey, Terisha Turner, and John Sorrel and Dawson families who all lived in the Rockfish area and were interactive with Richard and Thomas Farrar who were still in Amherst Co. The Lyons were also intermarried with the Thurmonds who were intermarried into the Joplings as well.

John Farrar of Person and Caswell Co., NC (my ancestor) d. 1799 in Chatham Co., NC and his brother Peter was executor of the will. Peter died in 1802. Their nephew Benjamin Jopling and his brother William were still living on the Flat River at Bushy Fork, Person Co., NC (carved out of Caswell Co) near their cousins there the Moores. John Farrar's daughter Jean Farrar married Abraham Moore who was from Albemarle Co., VA and they had moved south to NC with her parents. Abraham and Jean are my line. Their son William Moore, my 4th great grandfather, bought land from his cousin Benjamin Jopling in 1803 on Flat River and this original deed is still in our family in NC in an old trunk owned by William Moore's wife who saved everything from deeds to letters and Bible records, estate receipts, etc.

Back to John Farrar. . .I found a land record with his wife Elizabeth Lyon Farrar selling property on the Rockfish to a Mr. Jordan in 1773 and the land was mentioned as being part of large land patent by Col. Chiswell in 1739. The neighbors were the Smalls, Wrights, Lyons, and Josiah Jopling who was a nephew of Ralph Jopling, husband of Catherine Farrar, sister of Richard and Thomas Farrar who stayed in Amherst Co., and sister of John and Peter Farrar who moved to North Carolina with her sons William and Benjamin Jopling.

This correction is based on new proof found over the past few weeks and has been known and suspected by those of us in the North Carolina Farrar family for sometime simply based on the presence of the Joplings in our family as well as the fact we had the line traced as far as John Farrar of Rockfish region.

The Farrar line is provable to the immigrant Councillor William Farrar who came to Virginia in 1618. His parents were John Farrar of Croxton, Lincolnshire, England and his wife Cecily Kelke. The Farrars descend from the Lacy, Savile, Sootehill, Salvin of Yorkshire and through the Salvins descend from King William the Lion of Scotland. The Savile line goes back to King Robert II of France.

The Kelke line has more recent royalty. Cecily Kelke's grandparents Christopher Kelke and Isabel Girlington were both descendants of King Edward I of England and Christopher's lineage actually goes to Edward I's grandson Edward III, d. 1377 from whom all reigning monarchies in Europe descend today. Cecily Kelke's great-grandmother Elizabeth de la See, wife of Roger Kelke, was the daughter of Sir Martin de la See and his wife Elizabeth Wentworth, daughter of Sir Philip Wentworth of Nettlestead and Lady Mary Clifford, daughter of John Clifford, 7th Lord Clifford (descendant of King Edward I) and Lady Elizabeth Percy (great-great granddaughter of King Edward III). For more information, please email me at sriggan@hotmail.com So much information to share.

The vast majority of the royal lineages of the Farrar family in Virginia and England has been done by one of our Farrar cousins John Ravilious who is a member of the medieval genealogy discussion group I also belong to with many well-known royal genealogy experts.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BootsFarrar 7 Dec 2012 2:43AM GMT 
CarolMerrill6... 8 Dec 2012 2:32AM GMT 
BootsFarrar 8 Dec 2012 3:58AM GMT 
ECritzer7777 7 Mar 2013 1:13PM GMT 
ECritzer7777 9 Mar 2013 11:41AM GMT 
stephenriggan 11 Dec 2012 11:45PM GMT 
Gloria 28 Nov 2000 3:17AM GMT 
ALMIK 29 Nov 2000 3:36PM GMT 
sharanmason 29 Dec 2000 8:01PM GMT 
sharanmason 16 Aug 2000 4:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions