Search for content in message boards

James Monroe "Munn" Farris - TN

Replies: 19

Re: James Monroe "Munn" Farris - TN

Posted: 8 May 2012 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was in a hurry & made a mistake. I used to visit your grandfather Robert (Rob) & grandmother Harriet at their store. I said your father & mother but meant your grandfather & grandmother. Your grandparents used to treat us to a coke & a candy bar! A real treat in my childhood. My great uncle Rob Farris (your grandfather) is the brother of my grandmother Della Farris who married Sam Carmack, my grandfather. We also visited a brother of Rob Farris, Ray Farris & his wife Emily who lived in Timbo on part of his father's land. Ray lived on some of Robert Looney Farris & Mary Queen's land. Also used to visit Jim Farris the oldest brother who had bought part of his parent's land & the fun-loving, foot loose & fancy free brother, Orph Farris who was quite a character. My mother visited with the other brother Bill Farris who moved to Oklahoma and became a judge. Bill's wife told my mother that my grandmother Della wrote three letters back to Tennessee: to Sam Carmack's county to the sheriff, to the college he attended in Nashville, and to the pastor of his home church. Sam had come to Timbo as bookkeeper to a timber company cutting timber for Robert Looney Farris & Mary Queen. Great grandfather Robert Looney Farris owned over 1100 acres and was quite well off. This was sold through the years after his death in 1917. My mother & her mother Della went to visit Mary Queen Farris & just as they arrived Mary was leaving to go "pay the preacher" (she was a tither) and told them to make themselves at home that she would be back soon & she walked to the preacher's house & back. When Sam Carmack proposed to my grandmother, Della wanted to find out if he was the Christian man he seemed to be. The letters came back to Della confirming his Christian character & that he had no criminal record. Sam never knew this & none of the family new except Bill & Emily who found the letters after my great grandmother Mary Queen Farris died & told my mother after her parents were both dead.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hockeyblues20... 13 Jun 2011 2:50PM GMT 
timothybarlow 7 May 2012 9:40PM GMT 
timothybarlow 7 May 2012 9:42PM GMT 
timothybarlow 9 May 2012 1:21AM GMT 
sarahfarrisbl... 6 Nov 2011 2:56AM GMT 
timothybarlow 7 May 2012 3:09PM GMT 
Faris_1946 29 Apr 2009 5:38PM GMT 
mikeandtoni16... 29 Apr 2009 5:49PM GMT 
Faris_1946 30 Apr 2009 4:59AM GMT 
mikeandtoni16... 3 May 2009 11:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions