Search for content in message boards

FARWELL crested silver coffee-pot

Replies: 0

FARWELL crested silver coffee-pot

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: FARWELL THORNEWILL CLAY
My line starts with one Simon Farwell, d. 1545.

My father’s mother’s father’s mother’s father’s father’s mother was Jane Farwell (1700-1774).

I have quite an extensive Farwell Tree.

I visited the old Elizabethan (therefore E-shaped in plan) Manor House at Bishop's Hull (now a suburb of Taunton) some years ago - it had the family crest over the front door. But it was in a very bad state; when I visited a few years later, it was being converted into an old peoples' Home, and they had built a ghastly modern extension that completely covered the entire garden, save for a small courtyard. It
was heartbreaking... See Google Maps, enter 1.016681,-3.133631

You may (or may not) be interested to know that I have a piece of crested Farwell silver - a George II silver coffee pot by Francis Spilsbury, 1739. The handle (possibly by Harold Nicholson) and much of the decoration is Victorian. I think my grandmother’s sister spotted it about 1960 in an antique shop, and told Gran (then in Rhodesia) about it, and
Gran asked her to buy it for her.

I am just putting this into an Auction, on the 15th & 16th November at Charterhouse’s Long Street Salerooms, Sherborne, Dorset, DT9 3BS (tel +44 (0)1935 812277 www.charterhouse-auctions.co.uk), estimate is £500-800.

Find a board about a specific topic