Search for content in message boards

faught cherokee connection

Replies: 16

Re: Faught Cherokee Connection - John Harrison Faught

Posted: 8 Mar 2011 10:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Without knowing more about your Faught-kin, I can only give you some general info from my searches over the years.

Faught is an American variation of the German name Vogt.Plenty of Vogts came to America.
In one instance in Virginia in the 1730-40s,Orange and Augusta County,Virginia court clerks spelled Vogt as Vaught and Faught.This is the family I trace-back to. In another instance, a Faught-family, probably German---first settled in Northern Ireland and then,before the revolutionary war, immigrated to the Massachussets colony.

Many of the Virginia Faught/Vaughts migrated westward in the late 1700s and early 1800s. They settled in the new territories and states of Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama,and Kentucky.
At least one family settled near Pittsburg in a part of old Virginia that later became a part of Pennsylvania.
The Mass. family ended up in the part of that state that became Maine; and some probably migrated to Canada and westward along the Great lakes into Ohio and Indiana from there.

The bottom line is---Unless you know where your Faught -ancestors originated, you will be unable to trace- back to the first generation in America.
I have had good luck in tracing my line back from Henry J.and his father, John J. Faught of Tipton County, TN. to Samuel Faught,born in 1790 in Virginia[died in Giles County, TN. in 1857]. However,I have had trouble determining if Samuel's father was William--- or Gasper Faught.

I have found that:
The Christian County Missouri Faughts of the civil war period were closely related to the Giles County, TN. Faughts; and that many moved from there to Texas.
The Alabama Faughts of the pre-civil war period appear to have been related to the Giles and neighboring Lawrence County,TN.Faughts.
Arkansas and Mississippi Faught families of the civil war-period appeared to have came from Alabama,Tennessee and Kentucky.
A Gasper Faught and several other names appear in Shelby and Franklin County,Kentucky before the War of 1812. Soon thereafter, both Indiana and Ohio record Faught settlers.

I give you all of this info, hoping you can pick up a lead to either Virginia or Mass./Maine.Those seem to be the two points of origin for the Faughts in America. Good luck on your quest.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
robertfaught9... 9 May 2008 5:06PM GMT 
cacintx1 3 Aug 2008 8:12PM GMT 
robertfaught9... 7 Aug 2008 5:25PM GMT 
cacintx1 12 Aug 2008 4:03AM GMT 
Filosena 5 Mar 2011 4:21AM GMT 
robertfaught9... 8 Mar 2011 5:50PM GMT 
Filosena 8 Mar 2011 11:42PM GMT 
stevet157 7 Sep 2012 8:41PM GMT 
Filosena 7 Sep 2012 10:38PM GMT 
DoreneAcklin 9 Apr 2009 1:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions