Search for content in message boards

faught cherokee connection

Replies: 16

faught cherokee connection

Posted: 9 May 2008 11:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Feb 2014 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: fAUGHT
I am searching for the Faught family that moved from Virginia to Georgia between 1790- 1799.One son , Samuel Faught, born in Virginia in 1790 was my gg grandfather. Another son,Wiley Blount Faught, born in Georgia in 1799 was my gg uncle.They appear in Hickman County Tennessee in 1809, Limestone County Alabama in the 1820s and Giles County Tennessee in 1830.
In Georgia Cherokee records , I got a lead on a Faught family led by Nancy Faught that appears in the Cherokee Rolls that listed the Cherokees to be removed to Oklahoma.Nancy Faught, sons Wheeler and Eli, and daughter Margaret went west with the Goin Snake group in September 1838,under John Benge.Nancy's son Wheeler was hung in Oklahoma in 1846 for involvement in tribal warfare between two groups of Cherokees. Nancy and daughter Margaret appear in the 1851/52 Drennen Rolls ,which lists the New Echota, Georgia Treaty Group of Cherokees.
Nancy died and Margaret married George William Crouch.I found no record on Eli in Oklahoma.Note: a good source for the above is found on " Google" under "Dr. Emmett Starr, Cherokee Genealogist".
I am intrigued that there was a Faught family of Cherokees in Georgia soon after my Virginia - kin were there.When the Virginia - Faught family moved on into Tennessee,a son could have remained in Georgia with the Cherokees.

I am searching for the name of the father of my gg grandfather,Samuel. I hope a search of early Cherokee land records and of white men that married into the tribe will help identify the Faught that was the husband or father of Nancy, the Cherokee lady that went to Oklahoma on the Trail of Tears.

Should any one reading this have info on the father of Samuel and Wiley Blount Faught, I will appreciate the lead. Note: The two brothers, Samuel and Wiley B., and their mother Nancy died in Giles County, Tennessee. I do not think they have a Cherokee connection; but there is a possibility that a member of the family does.

1 February,2014 update to he original message: Please see my tree "Blucher Louis Faught" for the latest info on this subject and the results of my DNA test.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
robertfaught9... 9 May 2008 5:06PM GMT 
cacintx1 3 Aug 2008 8:12PM GMT 
robertfaught9... 7 Aug 2008 5:25PM GMT 
cacintx1 12 Aug 2008 4:03AM GMT 
Filosena 5 Mar 2011 4:21AM GMT 
robertfaught9... 8 Mar 2011 5:50PM GMT 
Filosena 8 Mar 2011 11:42PM GMT 
stevet157 7 Sep 2012 8:41PM GMT 
Filosena 7 Sep 2012 10:38PM GMT 
DoreneAcklin 9 Apr 2009 1:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions