Search for content in message boards

Faught Cherokee Connection

Replies: 8

Faught Cherokee Connection

Posted: 27 Sep 2012 2:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Nov 2012 9:54AM GMT
I am glad to see there are still posts concerning the Tennessee and Alabama Faught family's Connection to the Cherokee Tribe before the Trail of Tears.There are so many unanswered questions!
I am a descendant of Samuel [Blind Sam]Faught of Giles County ,TN. He was born in VA. in 1790. He married Nancy Dean in 1810 in Williamson County,TN. He and Nancy are buried in the Old Salem Cemetery in Giles County. I am the great grandson of John J. Faught of Giles County.He and wife Clara Hudson moved to Hardeman County, TN. in the 1830s.They died in Tipton County,TN. I am the grandson of Henry J. Faught, who died in Tipton County, TN. in 1909. I am the son of Blucher Louis Faught who died in Baton Rouge, LA. in 1953.
There is one way my Giles County ancestors could be connected to the Cherokees prior to the Trail of Tears.
That is through the marriage of Samuel Faught and Nancy Dean.If it can be proved that she was the daughter or grand daughter of Jessee Dean of the Wofford Settlement in Franklin County, GA.in the 1790s,and the Jessee Dean families in White/Warren and Williamson and Hickman County, TN., then,Nancy may have a Cherokee connection. Others I believe were in GA., TN. or the Cherokee Nation in the late 1790s-early 1800s were :
John Harrison Faught of Early Alabama. He is said to have married Nancy Manasco in TN. about 1805. Other Faughts of that period married Inmans.The Faught, Manasco and Inman families seem to have been together near Lookout Mountain in the Cherokee Nation as early as 1802-5,in White/Warren Counties, TN. in 1806, in Hickman County, TN. during the Creek War/ War of 1812-period. John Harrison, Samuel, Wiley Blount, William Faught, and several Manascos and Inmans, moved to AL. Some remained in AL., while, others moved back to Giles and Lawrence Counties TN. during the 1820s.

I believe the main connection with the Cherokees before the Trail of Tears in 1838 was through Gasper Faught/Fought/Vaught/Vogt while he and his family were in the Cherokee Nation.[ 1799-1805?] I have a record from 1805 that Gasper wished to remain in the Nation longer with his family.One can assume this family may have included Samuel[1790], Wiley Blount[1799], John Harrison,and possibly David,Isham, Moses and Levi.One or more of the children of this generation may have married Cherokees.----

Gasper Faught is certainly a candidate to be Samuel Faught [1790]s father----.However, there is still William, about the same age as Gasper, to figure-out!! Myself and some other researchers believe William was the husband of Nancy Blount Faught, and she was the mother of Samuel and Wiley Blount Faught. She died in Giles County, TN. in 1849.The three are buried in the Old Salem Cemetery in Giles County. I believe Wiley Blount Faught and Samuel, my great grandfather were brothers to John Harrison Faught.

Much-much more research on Gasper and William is required to figure-out how Gasper and William are connected to my family.
I have collected a good-bit of info on Cherokees listed as Faughts in Federal records and have researched the Cherokee named Charles Faught who's family went to Oklahoma in 1838 along the Trail of Tears.If anyone is interested,I will post some of it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
robertfaught9... 27 Sep 2012 8:22PM GMT 
tacanady 31 Dec 2012 2:19PM GMT 
SamFaught 8 Mar 2013 12:16AM GMT 
robertfaught9... 14 Mar 2013 8:10PM GMT 
wayne92396 14 Mar 2013 10:26AM GMT 
robertfaught9... 14 Mar 2013 7:59PM GMT 
marci54 3 Jul 2013 11:22PM GMT 
marci54 3 Jul 2013 11:14PM GMT 
robertfaught9... 9 Jul 2013 12:29AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic