Search for content in message boards

Christian Feather - Somerset Co, PA - Probate - 1799

Replies: 0

Christian Feather - Somerset Co, PA - Probate - 1799

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 10:24AM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 2 Sep 2012 5:50AM GMT
Surnames: Schneider, Snyder, Vatter, Vetter, Fetter, Fether, Feather, Wilson, Leech, Rhees, Espy
I came across the following in a library:

Somerset County Wills Index 1795-1900

and found entries for:

Feather, Christian - 1799, File 10
Snyder, Dewalt, 1828, File 33

I wrote to: Historical and Genealogical Society of Somerset County, PA, in 1997 for copies of documents in these probates.

They sent me what they had on Christian Feather.
They said Dewalt Snyder's file was not filmed, can't find, and presumed lost.

The copy I have is from a microfilm reader printer (white text on black background) and is very difficult to read. It appears there is no will, but was an intestate probate. Since I can't read it word for word, I'll try to extract what I can. In the meantime, don't hesitate to write or call the genealogy society and ask for a copy yourself. Maybe the technology is better after 15 years, or maybe they'll just have a better printer.

Document 1

Appears to be a folded probate cover or envelope. It appears to be about the size of a business envelope. Labelled Christian Feather, 1799, No 10

Document 2
Summary of accounting of:
Estate of Christian Feather
Administratrix: Mary Feather
Date of settlement: 09/07?/1802

Signature Mary Feather, admx
Signature Morgan Rhees (maybe court clerk or judge?)
Value of gross estate: $41.88
Paid to: Isaiah Espy $2.21
Paid for: stamp paper: $.50
"Cash paid" for xxx???: $2.00
"Cash paid" for Pasting?? and copy: $3.25
Allowed to the accountant: (ditto)

Net Estate: $33.9[?]

Document 3
(I believe certificate of inventory)
Date: 03/11/1799
Apparently took inventory: James & Thomas Wilson
Signed Certificate: John Leech
(It appears John Leech is an officer of the court certifying that James & Thomas Wilson are personally giving him the inventory)

Document 4
Estate Inventory
A listing of assets and values
Date: 03/11/1799
Signed by Thomas & James Wilson

Consisting of bed & bedding, "book debt" and kitchen utensils and etc.

The total of the inventory listing is L15.14.1, as compared to $41.88 in the summary. I don't know if there was a pound or pieces of eight conversion to dollars, or if there is something added to the 1799 inventory before the 1802 settlement.

Documents 5 and 6
This is some kind of document involving Mary Feather, Admx, Josiah Espy, James Wilson, and Jacob Schneider involving something. I can't quite make out what the nature of the document is.

It would appear that he died at some point before 03/11/1799, and his wife survived him past 1802. Unfortunately, I am not seeing any mention of Clarissa or Jacob, the asserted children of Christian Feather. (Christian and Jacob were listed together on the King of Prussia and Joseph and Maria are asserted to be buried in the small family cemetery on Dewalt Schneider's homestead - Clarissa (also sometimes given as Anna Clara) being the wife of Dewalt Schneider.

HOWEVER, there are a Thomas and a James Wilson in the list of witnesses of Jacob Feather's wedding, which corresponds to the two names that took Christian Feather's inventory. Those two names in these two documents gives some corroboration to the Jacob Feather who married Mary Connoly is the son of this Christian and they could very well be the Christian and Jacob Vatter listed on the King of Prussia in 1775.

MORGAN RHEES

It is assumed the Morgan Rhees above was some kind of a court clerk, or even a judge. Here is a biography of a man of a man of this name, who moved late in his life to Somerset County and may be this man (or a namesake within his family?). He led a rather colorful life.

http://www.pagenweb.org/~somerset/bios/Rhees_Morgan-John-b17...

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions