Search for content in message boards

My birth father

Replies: 1

My birth father

Posted: 24 Aug 2000 2:28PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2001 2:42PM GMT
My father, Clarence Sherman Fletcher, Birthdate June 1, 1928 in Carnegie, Oklahoma, abandoned my mother, brother and I in 1957 ( I was 2 years old). My mother remarried immediately in order to have help supporting her two children. My mother and step-father had one child in 1960. In 1965, tired of being without money for groceries due to my step-father's alcoholism, my mother filed for divorce. Because of my young age when they got married, I did not know he was not my biological father until he kidnapped my half-sister and I asked when I was going to see him again. I was told not to worry about seeing him again because he was not my father.

I began to ask about my biological father, but not until I was 18 years old did my mother give me any information leading to his identity. I wrote to his sister, Edith Baxter in Phoenix, AZ and was told that he had died in 1973(?). Edith suffered from nervous breakdowns and had very little memory of his earlier years. She said she remembered that he was married and had children older than my brother I and could not have been my father. In questioning my mother some more, I was told that my mother's marriage to Clarence was not a legal marriage. When he ran off with another woman that he had gotten pregnant, he told my mother that that a divorce was not necessary because the marriage certificate was never filed. It is possible that he had left a family behind before ours.

Edith had indicated that there was a brother named Doyle Fletcher who also lived in the Phoenix area and that I could write to him to gain more information. I did not pursue that at the time. I tried to get information though the Arizona State vital records, but was told that I could not get the information because I had been adopted by my mother's third husband and my original birth certificate with Clarence's name on it was sealed in the court system in Oregon. So at long last, Oregon just changed their law to unseal all adoption birth certificates and I now have a legal document indicating that Clarence Sherman Fletcher is my biological father. I still face the problem of not knowing his social security number to verify the exact identity in the vital records.

I would like to know why he died at the age of 45. What medical problems did he have, etc.

Jill R. Larson, C.P.M., A.P.P.
larsx4@gateway.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
momplay 24 Aug 2000 8:28PM GMT 
saxeline 24 Jul 2008 6:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions