Search for content in message boards

William Henry Fonda obituary - New York > Iowa

Replies: 0

William Henry Fonda obituary - New York > Iowa

Posted: 21 Jul 2004 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Fonda, Sheldon, Stacy
I found this in a scrapbook. I am not a relation.

"William Henry Fonda was born the 7th of a family of twelve children, born to William and Henrietta Fonda. He was born at Broad Albans (West Troy) New York, on December 8, 1829. He died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A.I. Stacy, on March 27, 1926, at the age of 96 years, 3 months, and 19 days.

His early days were spent in different parts of New York state. He attended Casnovia Seminary. During this time he was converted and united with the Congregational church of which he has always been a faithful member, but of late years has been prevented attendance by the infirmatives of age.

Following his work at the seminary he taught school at Wilmert, New York. In 1852 he came to Monona, Iowa, where he engaged in farming. It was there that he became acquainted with Julia Anna Sheldon, whom he married at Westfort, New York, on January 10, 1861.

They continued to live at Monona until the fall of 1865 when they moved to Stacyville (Iowa), near which place they lived and experienced the joys and hardships of the early pioneers.

To them were born seven children, of which only three survive - Mrs. Charles E. Bishop, of Syracuse, Indiana; Mrs. Asa I. Stacy, of Osage (Iowa); and Frank M. Fonda, of Chicago.

In 1864 they moved to Osage where in January, 1911, they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. In February of that year Mrs. Fonda died.

Since Mrs. Fonda's death, Mr. Fonda has made his home with his children."

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions