Lideral G. Ford

Replies: 142

Omar Grant letters to Selma Ford Peterson; Daniel, Amanda, Methodism

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 5:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: Ford Stratton Loveland
Dear Kaetchen,

Since in his 1970 letters Omar is talking about a “book” of Loveland history, I don’t think it’s any big loss that he tossed it. Maybe it was John Bigelow Loveland and George Loveland’s book _Genealogy of the Loveland Family in the United States of America_ (Fremont, OH: I.M. Keeler & Son, 1894) (now available online: http://archive.org/details/genealogyoflovel01love). That book does have a tiny paragraph about Alice and Daniel (Vol. 2, pp. 78 & 79) that confirms much that we already know about them (although Salena’s name is misspelled) (I think the superscripted numbers are generations):

ALICE A. LOVELAND8 (Seymour C.7) was b in Oxford Tp., Erie Co., O., Aug. 11, 1853, m at Fremont, O., Dec. 1, 1879, Daniel S. Ford, b in Liberty Tp., Union Co., O., Nov. 20, 1840. Farmer. Rep. Both M. E. Ch. He was a soldier in the Union Army. Enlisted in Co. C, 17th O. V. V. I. Dis. At the close of the war, at Louisville, Ky., July 16, 1865. Children Born in Allen Twp., Union Co., O.:
i. Flora Salela9 Ford, b Aug. 25, 1881.
ii. Harriet Arvilla Ford, b Dec. 16, 1882, d Sept. 21, 1890
iii. Birchard Hayes Ford, b March 7, 1884.
iv. Celia Elmo Ford, b March 6, 1889.
v. Earl Vivian Ford, b July 5, 1890.

Maybe Mom had turned up this same passage, excerpted somewhere, and wanted to see the text surrounding it. From that we might glean, for instance, some clues about why it was Alice who cared for Martha when she was sick (one of the questions I posed in the notes to Mom’s story). Mom’s own question to Omar about why Daniel married Alice in Fremont comes under the same umbrella as my own: How did Daniel and Alice meet? Was it through church? His obituary says that he gave his life to Christ at age 20 (in 1860), and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Recall that a mere 13 years earlier, his parents had been founding members of the Otterbein United Brethren Church adjacent to their property (still a United Brethren church when it effectively dissolved in 1876), so Daniel had, presumably, been going to church at least since he was seven. Maybe a Methodist evangelist came to town in 1860, and Daniel had a conversion experience something like our own a century later! This would be consistent with the guess that the “Asbery” in “Lewis Asbery Ford” could be in honor of Francis Asbury, one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Maybe Alice cared for Martha Stratton Ford as a ministry. Perhaps the awkwardness of Daniel’s farming so close to his father and not attending the same church contributed to his moving north and east. Was Alice’s family already Methodist in 1876, or were they still Congregationalists, like the 17th-C Lovelands? (There’s a searchable Google Books version of the Loveland book, but unfortunately most of the religious affiliations in it are abbreviated, so a search on “Congregationalist” yields a goose egg, and “Methodist” doesn’t even return Daniel and Amanda, who are “M. E.” I have some reading to do!

Claire
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cmariepeterso... 7 Mar 2013 12:34PM GMT 
KaetchenS 7 Mar 2013 5:58PM GMT 
KaetchenS 7 Mar 2013 8:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic