Search for content in message boards

Who was the Father of George Ford (and Grandfather of "Little Bill" Ford) - South Carolina

Replies: 2

Who was the Father of George Ford (and Grandfather of "Little Bill" Ford) - South Carolina

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 4:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Mar 2011 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Ford
I have traced by Ford family tree as far back as William M. "Little Bill" Ford, husband of Naomi Lupo and later an Elizabeth Butler. I am also fairly certain his father was a George Ford. The location of William's grave is Dillon County, SC (http://sciway3.net/proctor/dillon/cemeteries/BillFord_cem.ht...) so I presume that's the part of SC they lived. I don't know where George is.

I also found them mentioned in n "A History of Marion county, South Carolina, from its Earliest Times to the Present" by William W. Sellers. That book was published around the turn of the century.

Here are some pertinent excerpts:

"There was another old Ford, by name of George, who lived just below Tabernacle Church on the road leading from Bear Swamp to Allen's Bridge, on Little Pee Dee; he was related to those other Fords [Note: here he is referring to the earlier referenced Preserved Ford + sons - Preserved was known as "Zarv Ford"], at least collaterally; he was a very energetic man and accumulated some property; I never knew much of him; he was not a very old man when he died. I know that he left two sons, William and Nelson Ford, and know that he had three daughters, if no more, to wit."

[According to him, in 1830 Preserved Ford was around 75 or 80 years old and had 3 sons - Jesse, William, and Charles. Charles died young and never married].

Then a little bit farther down in the book:

"Of the sons of George Ford, William (familiarly called 'Little Bill Ford'), as now remembered, married, first, a Miss Lupo; he rased some family by her, the names and number not now known to the writer. "Little Bill Ford' has been dead some years, and perhaps his Butler Wife. Nelson Ford [his brother] lived to an advanced age, eighty or more, has not been dead many years; he was a most excellent man and worthy citizen.

The thing is, I just found an old written down tree someone sent my dad about 40 years ago. It was told to him by an old aunt in 1933. Zarv is at the top right above George.

There is also this 1829 will where he names more sons. I'd trust the will and family tree over the memories of a man not well aquainted with the family, I suppose.
(http://sciway3.net/proctor/marion/wills/FordPreserved1829.ht...)
If he had daughters could some of those be son-in-laws? I imagine not since it doesn't specify any different last names (like, who is "Jes Rawls and the Floyds mentioned?)

Here's the thing: my grandfather was named Zarvis. Everyone has always been mystified as to where this name came from! Some have speculated there was a mistake writing down the name Jarvis. But there has never been a Jarvis in the family?! And all the other siblings had "normal" and family names. Perhaps Great-grandpa was honoring his ancestor and it's been forgotten over the years?

Apparently with the original Zarv, the name "Preserved" was pronounced "per-zar-ved"?

Also, I think I've found that Preserved's father was a James (1715) and his father was Preserved (1685). That older Preserved was called "The Settler" and I *think* he was from England.

Also, I think that in the Marion book Seller's mixes up the two Preserveds (he calls "Zarv" the settler but that can't be right...)

So, is Preserved George's dad?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
suzannetf1 16 Mar 2011 10:36AM GMT 
ejgs235 18 Feb 2013 8:56PM GMT 
v_howard101 25 Apr 2013 12:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions