Search for content in message boards

John Waller Ford, son of Zachary Daniel Ford & Mary Polly Gordon.

Replies: 5

Re: John Waller Ford, son of Zachary Daniel Ford & Mary Polly Gordon.

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 5:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am very excited to hear from you. Your family is so interesting - I was so hoping someone would respond. I still don't have an original source confirming that John W. Ford is the son of Zachary & Polly. But, my theory is supported by this excerpt from the Smith County history by Dr. J. W. Bowen, written for publication in the Smith County Record (published by W. D. Gold) about 1886: “J.W. Roulstone sold [the Carthage Gazette] to John W. Ford, who had learned the printers’ trade in the office at Carthage, and he took it first to Sparta, and from thence to McMinnville, where he published a paper for many years. Ford was a brother of C. C. Ford of Snow Creek.” Snow Creek is the original name of Elmwood, Smith Co., TN. There are several references that identify John W. Ford as the purchaser of the Carthage Gazette, but Dr. Bowen adds the family connection. (Dr. Bowen was married to John W. Ford’s first cousin, Francis Gordon.) C.C. Ford is my ancestor.

I believe I found the obituary for Eliza Jennie in the Obituaries of Benton Co. by Barbara Easley, but I have to check on that.

ELLIS, Eliza J. FORD – Tuesday morning just as the rays of the morning sun lighted our beautiful city, the Angel of Death entered one of our most pleasant homes and carried away to the better Land the spirit of an aged wife and mother, leaving behind a devoted husband, a son and two daughters who deeply mourn her loss. Eliza J. Ford was born in McMinnville, Tenn. Nov. 25, 1821; her father was John W. Ford, for many years editor of the Democrat published at that place. On Dec. 8, 1846 Miss Ford was united in marriage with R.W. Ellis and for several years made their home in Chattanooga where she became a member of the Methodist church in which faith she lived a pious christian life. Mrs. Ellis was the mother of three children; Florence, now Mrs. Adams of Santa Anna, California, who has been a joint watcher for the past six months; Mary E., the wife of R.E. Brashear, of this city, who for sometime has made her home with her mother, lovingly caring for the patient invalid; and John H. Ellis, of Washington, her only son, who was prevented from attending his mother's dying bed by the dangerous illness of his young wife. Judge and Mrs. Ellis moved to our city from Neosho, Mo. in 1866, consequently she was well known and beloved by the old settlors here, but for several years she had been a patient sufferer from an incurable disease and unable to take part in the duties imposed by society, but she was a faithful wife, a loving mother, a true friend, a good neighbor and a Christian woman. The funeral services were conducted at the residence by Rev. W.T. Sullivan of the C.P. Church, after which the remains were interred in the Odd Fellows cemetery beside her father who died here at his daughter's home about 10 years since, aged 83 years. [Bentonville Sun 6/9/94] p. 160

I tried to attach the obit for John W Ford that was published in the Chattanooga paper, but it wont' work. I am having computer problems that are messing me up, but I will get more to you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PamFWright 8 Sep 2012 3:45PM GMT 
jbellis3 20 Jan 2013 7:57PM GMT 
PamFWright 21 Jan 2013 12:15AM GMT 
minustheink 21 Jan 2013 5:35PM GMT 
PamFWright 24 Jan 2013 1:41AM GMT 
PamFWright 24 Jan 2013 1:45AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic