Search for content in message boards

Looking for Proof that Benjamin Fordham (1743-c1810) married Mary Blackshear

Replies: 2

Looking for Proof that Benjamin Fordham (1743-c1810) married Mary Blackshear

Posted: 22 Aug 2009 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
It seems to be a well-established "fact" that Benjamin Fordham (1743-c1810) married Mary Blackshear, daughter of Alexander Blackshear and Agnes Stout. So far I've been unable to find any evidence to support this claim.

From what I can tell, the claim seems to be based on a bequest made in Alexander Blackshear's will to a granddaughter named Susanna Fordham. Benjamin Fordham had a daughter named Susanna, but I can find nothing else to link Benjamin Fordham to a Mary Blackshear. In fact, the evidence suggests otherwise.

1. Neither Alexander Blackshear, nor his wife Agnes, mention a daughter named Mary in their wills. However, Benjamin Fordham was clearly married and having children during the period when their wills were written (1785-1793). And, importantly, Alexander and Agnes both mention all the rest of their living children.

2. When Alexander Blackshear wrote his will in 1785, Benjamin Fordham had at least 9 children. Why would only one grandchild (age 6 at the time) be singled out for a bequest?

3. When Agnes Blackshear wrote her will in 1793 she seems to refer to this same Susanna Fordham as "Susanna McKenzie." Since Benjamin Fordham's daughter Susanna was born in 1779, she would have been married by the age of 14 to be this same individual. (Note: There is a Sep 1793 deed in Jones Co for Alexander McKenzie, Susanna McKenzie and James Harrison to Durant Hatch. After that the couple seems to disappear.)

4. Benjamin Fordham and his wife had 12 children, none of whom were given any of the common Blackshear names of Alexander, Agnes, etc.

Can anyone help me out? Any thoughts and ideas will be appreciated.
Pam

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pampearson1 22 Aug 2009 8:36PM GMT 
wendyd567 29 Oct 2010 5:45PM GMT 
pampearson1 1 Nov 2010 12:42AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions