Search for content in message boards

Ester Fugate of Hartford MD

Replies: 5

Re: Ester Fugate of Hartford MD

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 9:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DULANY, FUGATE
I don't know if you will get this as the messages are several years old but I am happy to see the registers posted. I have long thought that my Dennis DULANY must have been a grandchild of Thomas because apparently Thomas was about 70 yrs old when he was born. Possible, I know, but not understandable as he was apparently married to Sarah #2 for 30-35 years before this. Next, I can more readily accept the (I hope) occasional marriage of a 13 year old as one of my great aunts was 14 when she married my great uncle. I have a picture of close to that time and the group looks very adult. Children had to grow up very fast in those days especially on the farm. One of my grandmothers left a story of her hardship growing up on the farm and having to become "the man of the family" at age 13 when her young father died and left 6 young children. It was, of course, also common for cousins to marry (hopefully mostly 2nd and 3rd!)as the neighbor a few miles down the road might have been related or not and the only people one saw on occasion. They might go to jail during our time (luckily our children are not put in such dire straits) but this was the tough life in the Colonies and on the farm at the time. My grandmother remembered that her father only went to town twice a year in Indian Territory because it was just too difficult. First, he had to hitch a team of oxen to a wagon and travel down 'roads' that were really only trails left by the Indians, ford at least one river and took 2-3 days to get to town 30-40 miles away! We complain a lot these days but we don't have a clue! Also, the dates were usually written in history with a slash due to the fact that the calendars were changed so 13 might have been 14 (still jail bait today, of course). What an unimaginably hard, hard life... The trips to 'town' were mostly for certain staples to last 6 mos to a year as they had to grow everything they needed to survive, from food to cotton or other plants that could be used to weave and make their clothing or animals that provided meat, milk, hides for warmth and further clothing for the cold weather etc.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
olclarke 27 Aug 2009 9:23PM GMT 
mdfugate 28 Aug 2009 10:10PM GMT 
olclarke 29 Aug 2009 1:35AM GMT 
mdfugate 29 Aug 2009 7:41PM GMT 
mdfugate 29 Aug 2009 8:29PM GMT 
barbsfrmok 26 Sep 2012 3:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic