Search for content in message boards

Miles Fulbright - Galvanized Yankee

Replies: 0

Miles Fulbright - Galvanized Yankee

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 7:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: fulbright, devine, mattis, mathis, rowland
A question for someone that might be associated with these men. It is more out of curiosity than anything.

Lecil (Lesil) Devine -31st AL. CSA
James D. Rowland - MS CSA
Miles Fulbright - NC CSA

I am the great grandson of Lecil DeVine.

All three of these men were CSA prisoners that were held at Rock Island Barracks. All three later (Oct. 1864) swore an oath and joined the Galvanized Yankees - 3rd US Volunteers -for Frontier Service. All served in some capacity around Ft. Kearney, NE areas guarding stagecoach lines. All three mustered out around November 1865.

Interestingly, all three of these men "fell ill" during their service with the 3rd US Volunteers. Through pension documents and affadavits filed by Lecil Devine, I know the unit encountered a heavy blizzard in April 1865 on the plains. Many suffered exposure and there was "not even firewood with which to build a fire." This could explain the illness of the three (compounded by of years of CSA service/reduced rations at Rock Island in summer of 1864).

At the time of "mustering out" in Nov. 1865, all three of these men had a "stoppage of $2.90" from their pay for "damages to property of John Mattis and others".

I'm not sure if Mattis (could be Mathis) was a fellow Galvanized Yankee, a Union officer in command or a civilian in the Nebraska territory.

If nothing more than a "good family story", I'd like to find out what happened to cause the damage and require the pay stoppage.

Brian DeVine

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions