Search for content in message boards

Who is Capt. Matthew Fuller's Father?

Replies: 1

Who is Capt. Matthew Fuller's Father?

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 12:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fuller
I'm confused.

The New England Historical Society shows that Capt. Matthew Fuller (1603 - 1678) is the son of Edward Fuller. However, I also see a lot of information that Capt. Matt is the son of John Fuller (1578-1608), who was Edward's brother. Some point to a statement made by the Colony Governor that Samuel was the only son of Edward.

Now, if Matthew was born in 1603 (1605 in some citations), he would have only been 15 or 17 when the Mayflower sailed. If so, it seems more likely to me that he would have sailed with the rest of the family instead of waiting until he was almost 40 years old to join them in America. This makes it seem that he was more likely the son of John Fuller, and NOT Edward Fuller. It's been stated that he "probably" stayed behind to finish school, but then why would Samuel (who was 12 at the time) not stayed as well?

Something doesn't add up. Can anyone point me to a citation that shows one way or the other who Matthew's parents were? I've traced back to him, but want to go farther.

Thanks,

Jim
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KimberlyKenwi... 13 Jun 2012 6:17AM GMT 
jcfgreybeard 17 Oct 2012 11:23PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions