Search for content in message boards

Futrell from NC to Kentucky

Replies: 6

Martha FUTRAL / FUTRELL -- b. 1825 NC

Lynda Conner (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2003 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Marsh
I'm looking for the parents and family of my paternal gg grandmother, Martha Futral/Futrall/Futrell. I'm unsure of the surname spelling. Martha was born abt. 1825 in NC, county unknown. She married James Gray Marsh in Sept 1843 and died 1857, probably in NC. James was born in Chatham Co., NC, and per the 1850 census, they were living there with their children.

James' father, Gray Barbee Marsh, who died in 1835 in Walker Co., GA, was married to Julia Brooks of Chatham Co., NC. I have a copy of a letter written by a grandson(deceased) of a Thomas A. Futral that Julia married his grandfather, Thomas A. Futral Sr. Julia and Thomas may have lived in Walker County, GA early on but may have later moved to Randolph County, NC. James went to live with his grandfather, William H. Marsh in Chatham County after his mother remarried.

Supposedly Julia and Thomas Futral had the following children: Mary, Julia, Addie, Thomas A. Futral Jr, and possibly a daughter named Martha.....unknown dates of birth. Interestingly enough, James Gray later married a Martha Futral.

Sometime prior to the 1880 Census, James Marsh and his children had moved to Hardeman County, TN. Living nearby was a young family, Thomas Futrall, born 1841, in NC, and his wife Emma, born 1847 in NC. Children were Emma, John, Thomas, Lula and Alma. Thomas and his family moved from Hardeman County to Marianna, Arkansas by 1891. Thomas' son, John, later became the President of the University of Arkansas.

I would definitely appreciate any information to help me determine which Futral/Futrell family these folks came from. Thanks for any replies.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MikeGivens45 4 Jul 2002 1:15AM GMT 
ClaudiaGattsh... 7 Apr 2003 7:56PM GMT 
Lynda Conner 1 May 2003 8:06PM GMT 
LJHIGGINS 10 Jun 2003 3:07PM GMT 
Lynda Conner 16 Jun 2003 12:25PM GMT 
wendireneecox 5 Jan 2005 8:27PM GMT 
Fran Meyer 21 Sep 2005 5:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions