Gainer family of Henry and Montgomery Co. Tennessee

Replies: 0

Gainer family of Henry and Montgomery Co. Tennessee

Posted: 22 May 2011 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2011 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Gainer, Holmes, Rayburn, Raybourn
Hi,

I researching the family of my g-g-g-g-great grandfather John Gainer. I know that he lived in Montgomery county Tennessee as early as 1799. He had a wife named Sally and in his will from 1803 he mentions her and 4 children: John [S.], Jesse [C.], Samuel and Polly. Jesse C. and John S. both moved to Henry county Tennessee. John Gainer also had a brother named Benjamin, who married Rebecca Raybourn (widow of Thomas Raybourn).

In 1819 a Sally Gainer left a will in Montgomery county Tennessee. I'm not sure she is John Gainer's widow, because the children she named were different: James C. Gainer, Sally Gainer, William Gainer and Georganne Holmes. She also mentions a Simon Holmes who "brought property here." I wonder if Simon Holmes is her daughter Georgeanne's husband? Shortly after Sally's death, John Gainer's heirs met at her house to divide up his property (which in his will he lent to his widow for the remainder of her life)

I am most interested to learn about any parents of John and Benjamin Gainer, and where the family lived before moving to Mont. co. TN (I suspect it was North Carolina). I'd also be interested in anything that could help prove that the Sally Gainer who left a will in 1819 is John Gainer's wife.

Please contact me with any questions/answers. I'd love to find out anything more about this family and share with you what I have found.

-Madeline
(stimplev10@aol.com)

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions