Search for content in message boards

Found Tait Galloway

Replies: 20

Re: Found Tait Galloway / Thomas, relative of Matthew?

Posted: 19 Feb 2011 4:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2013 10:24PM GMT
Surnames: Gallaway, Galloway
In light of the below post (that the Tait who m/ Ann Gibson in 1797 in England could not be OUR Tait (presumed father of Matthew), and even if this were true, being at a standstill on the line, I am going back to the drawing board and looking for other clues into the Galloways. I'm hoping some other descendants will read and post here so I don't end up talking to myself. :)

I stumbled across (again?) the 1805 GA Land Lottery and there is, along with our Mathew Gallaway (1 draw) listed a Benjamin Gallaway with 1 draw. For the source I have located with that information there is no additional details listed such as whether the draw was successful or what county of residence or what county the draw was in.

I just found it today, but as yet, I have not found a Benjamin Gallaway in GA around 1805, and especially not in Wilkes or Oglethorpe Co, GA. It appears this Land Lottery was for land in Baldwin, Wayne, and Wilkinson Co, GA and I cannot find a Benjamin in those counties either. As such, I am inclined to believe his draw was not successful, but it seems he probably was already living in Georgia somewhere at the time, unless he moved on shortly after the (presumably) unsuccessful draw.

As those are the only 2 Gallaway men in / with ties to GA as far as I can tell as early as 1805, I think Benjamin is worthy of a closer look.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any Benjamins in Matthew's line, but neither were there any Taits, so that does not eliminate him as a possible close relative to Matthew.

Since I'm going back to the drawing board and researching all possible leads, I did find that the Matthew Gallaway book did reference Tait as Matthew's father. Any ideas or other sources on WHY we believe that is true, besides the fact that the author referenced it? I do not know her source for that information and as such, with nothing else to back it up, it makes me at least somewhat suspicious as to its accuracy.

I'd love to hear other researchers thoughts or sources on these issues.

poetmom at aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Briana5555 6 Apr 2011 8:05AM GMT 
smsitton 19 Apr 2011 4:39PM GMT 
Briana5555 21 Aug 2011 4:38AM GMT 
smsitton 20 Apr 2011 4:28AM GMT 
smsitton 20 Apr 2011 3:18PM GMT 
coriegalloway 4 Sep 2011 12:02AM GMT 
smsitton 4 Sep 2011 1:49AM GMT 
Briana5555 4 Sep 2011 1:53AM GMT 
Briana5555 31 Dec 2010 3:10AM GMT 
Briana5555 19 Feb 2011 11:14PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions