Search for content in message boards

Looking for Robert W. Galvin

Replies: 2

Re: Looking for Robert W. Galvin

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 12:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
I knew Bob Galvin, as he and his wife Hester were neighbors and friends of my parents at 4884 McArthur Blvd, in N.W. Washington, DC. In fact, they moved into our apartment when we moved away and lived there until their respective deaths. Hessy died first and Bob several years later, as I recall in about 1978 or 79. I set up the Mt. Vernon show and matted and framed his work for that show. I also sold a number of his paintings while I was a student at the University of Virginia, taking other painting in lieu of a commission. Bob worked in water-colors and wood-cut prints almost exclusively. I believe we was and orphan from Kentucky and went to Berea and for a time the Yale University School of Art until the Great Depression took away the funding for his scholarship. While at Yale, he assisted one of his professors on a mural in the library at the US Coast Guard Academy. He is in the painting as I was given to understand. For many years he was employed at the Army Map Service which is out McArthur across the Maryland line as a cartographer, and artist. He also created several type-face designs for IBM, back in the days of the typewriter. Both he and his wife liked to travel to Connecticut for vacations, where he would paint scenes along the coast. I believe that Hester was from the area and perhaps they met when he was at Yale. I never heard him say anything about his relations and seemed to have none. He was a fine artist and I have a number of his paintings and prints hanging on the walls of our home in Virginia.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Kathy Edwards Butler 19 Jul 2004 2:52PM GMT 
ccu141 24 Mar 2009 6:12PM GMT 
cbren2006 19 Jul 2012 7:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic