Replies: 12

Re: galvin/gallivan

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 7:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galvin, Denney, Bryant
Hello

Hoping you can help.

My husband's mother is a Galvin. The earliest Galvin I can find so far is:

Patrick Galvin who was born around 1836/1837 in Ireland (exact place unknown). His marriage certificate states that William Galvin is his father and he had deceased by then. He was a journeyman shoemaker - this would tell me that he learnt his trade at some point. He died in 1885 in Peckham, London.

He married Elizabeth Denney, bn 1842/43 in Cork, Ireland, at St George's Catholic church in Southwark, London on 17th Jun 1860. Her father is James Denney, too deceased by 1860. She died in 1901 in Camberwell.

They had nine known children. The eldest, William, was born before the marriage in 1859 and changed his name to Galvin after his parents marriage. All the children were born in the Southwark/Camberwell areas.

My husband is descended from one of these children, James, born in 1863, who married Eliza Bryant in 1887. I am also interested in his brother whose name is Cornelius (born 1873) which seems to be a much loved name among the Galvins.

It is highly likely that Patrick and Elizabeth came over to England during the famine crisis in the 1840's.

Do any of you have any information whatsoever on Patrick Galvin and Elizabeth Denney or their fathers? I would love a clue that would prompt me to visit Cork city & County to find them but without a townland/village name it is near impossible.

Thank you so much,

Jemima Buoy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
buoygenealogy 26 Apr 2012 1:39PM GMT 
tgalvin456 13 May 2012 12:24PM GMT 
ardenholme 13 May 2012 2:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic