Search for content in message boards

Galvin information Ireland, England, Australia, USA

Replies: 0

Galvin information Ireland, England, Australia, USA

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 8:59PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 14 Jan 2012 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: Galvin, Carpenter, Hogan, Gallagher, Casey, Kenny
The information I have is from typed papers left in my grandfather's (Thomas Alfred Galvin Sr. b 1896 Boston Ma) attic, written by his grandfather Peter John Galvin born 1854 Preston, Lancashire, England.

Background from those "attic" papers: Michael Galvin born 1800's Tipperary, Nenagh, Ireland and Mary McCarty lived (and their family lived for generations) in county Tipperary near Nenagh. Their son, John was a famer who left for Preston, Lancashire, England in the 1850's because of the famine. John and his wife Jane Casey Galvin had 5 sons, 4 were mentioned - 1) Michael who was the commissioned military and eventually bought a sheep farm in Australia and settled there. 2) James, was a military officer was last heard of when he left for Cyprus. 3) John Galvin Jr., was a Sargent major of regiment that took part in the Abyssinian War, last heard of living in Ashton under Lyne Lancashire England. 4)Peter John who arrived in Boston Massachusetts in 1871. I have more information from them that I will add in the near future.

I am a decendant of the fourth son - Peter John Galvin. Peter John Galvin came to Boston on the Cunard steamer Tripola June 22, 1871, met and married Maria Gallagher (her parents Luke Gallagher and Margaret Hart from Curraboy, County Roscommon). Peter John Galvin worked at the Somerset Club on Beacon St. Peter and wife Maria lived on Friend St. in Boston.

Peter John Galvin and Maria Gallagher Galvin had two daughters Agnes born November 13, 1880 and Winifred born July 12, 1885 and four sons Lucifer 1876, John born 1873, and Patrick Thomas 1874, William Francis born 1883.

Patrick Thomas changed his name around to Thomas Patrick and is referred to in all documents as Thomas Patrick. He was my great grandfather, married to Martha Jane Hogan from New Brunswick Canada. To make things a bit more confusing Patrick Thomas, AKA Thomas Patrick, was called "Bob" by my mother and siblings and we never knew heard him referred to by any other name. Bob (Patrick Thomas AKA Thomas Patrick) military enlistments documents from WWI indicate that he lived in NYC and worked at the Hotel Woodstock.

Bob and Martha had one son, Thomas Alfred Galvin born 1896 in Boston. Thomas Alfred Galvin was married to Ursula Carpenter, she died in 1918. Thomas Alfred and Ursula Carpenter Galvin had a daughter Anne Ursula Galvin Lopez and a son Thomas Alfred Galvin Jr. (Thomas Alfred Sr. was known as Alfred, his son Thomas Alfred Jr was known as Ted). After the death of Ursula Carpenter Galvin, her husband, my grandfather, gave their daughter Anne Ursula to her maternal grandparents to raise. Ted, (AKA Thomas Alfred Jr.) was given to Thomas Alfred Sr.'s parents, Bob and Martha Jane Galvin to raise. At some point, Thomas Alfred Sr. and Mabel Kenny met, but I don't know if they married. In 1924 they gave birth to my father, Robert John Galvin. He was given to Bob and Martha Galvin to raise. They lived in Hempstead Long Island New York at this time.
I will add to this in the near future.

Find a board about a specific topic