Search for content in message boards

Gumlaw and Gamelin

Replies: 10

Re: Phoebe (Martineau) Gamelin & Mathilde (Martineau) Bisson -Siblings?

Posted: 2 Jan 2010 1:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Oct 2013 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Martineau, Bisson/Besaw, Gamelin/Gumlaw
Phoebe Martineau appears in 1850 & 1860 federal censuses Schuyler Falls, NY w/her parents Joseph and Margaret Martineau (spelling var.) The Drouin Collection of Canadian vital records has a marriage record of a Joseph Lormier dit Martineau marrying a Marguerite Dusseault July 26, 1825, Yamaska, Quebec. (The record states that Joseph Lormier dit Martineau was the child (of adult age) of the late Pierre Lormier dit Martineau, cultivateur, and Catherine Vincent, of this parish of a part. Marguerite Dusseault was the child (of adult age) of Jean Baptiste Dusseault, cultivateur, and Marguerite Grenier, of the parish of St Francois of another part. Witnesses were Joseph Lambert, Paul Laroque beau frère of the groom, d’Antoine Robideau pere, at d’antoine Robidou fils annis de l’epouse qui avec le Epouse n’ont ?? signer.) There are two children, born to this couple in Yamaska, likely the only two born before their relocation to NY and having several other children - - Mathilde b. 1826 and Elizabeth b. 1828. My great great grandmother was Domitilde/Domitille/Mattie/etc. who married a Jerome Bisson in Plattsburgh in 1853 (his former marriage was to Marguerite Couture). Per Redford/Saranac census records, she was born Canada and abt. the same time as the Mathilde born Yamaska. She also was affiliated w/Canada, Plattsburgh and Redford/Saranac as was Phebe (Martineau) Gamelin/Gumlaw. Dom. Martineau was also a Godmother to one of Phebe's children, and several Bisson's were Godfathers to Phebe's children. I therefore presume that my Matilda is the same as Phebe's sister Matilda, but I haven't found any documentation that more solidly concludes that. Might you or anyone else be able to more concretely show that Matilda (Martineau) Bisson is the sibling of Phebe (Martineau) Gamelin? Thanks! [P.S. An elderly woman that stayed with my grandmother Mabel (Lapierre) Peets said that her father and my grandmother's father were cousins. The only way that could be true is both of their paternal grandmother's were sisters. My grandmother's grandmother was Matilda Martineau and Mabel's grandmother was Elizabeth Martineau - - Joseph Martineau and Marguerite Dusseault had two daughters by these names in Yamaska, so this makes another connection.]

10/3/13 update: My maternal grandmother's father's mother was Domitilde (Matilda/Mattie/Martha) (Martineau) Bisson. She was the sister of Phoebe (Martineau) Gamelin (wife of Frank Gamelin/Gumlaw). A newspaper ad for the estate of their mother, Margaret (Dussault) Martineau links them, as well as the oral history noted at the end of the posting above. That verified strong and plentiful circumstantial evidence.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sosscov 10 Jul 2007 5:30PM GMT 
LadyDale06 15 Apr 2009 7:27PM GMT 
baystatepam 2 Jan 2010 8:58PM GMT 
LadyDale06 4 Jan 2010 6:10PM GMT 
baystatepam 28 Jun 2010 9:12PM GMT 
baystatepam 28 Jun 2010 9:16PM GMT 
rdg77 28 Jun 2010 3:05AM GMT 
sosscov 7 Dec 2010 2:14AM GMT 
celt_rock 10 Jan 2011 3:51AM GMT 
sosscov 28 Jan 2011 8:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions