Search for content in message boards

Stephen Price Gano

Replies: 10

Re: Stephen Price Gano

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I have been looking into the possible parents of Stephen Price Gano. I have no proof, but I believe that Stephen’s parents were William Gano and Jane Price married 17 April 1814. (You can go to www.family search.com and see the marriage record.) Both William and Jane lived in Hunterdon, NJ and this fits with the census record that states that his mother and father were from New Jersey. William’s father was Stephen Gano and Mary’s last name, of course was Price. The census also states that he was born in Nov of 1815. This could have possible made him the first son of William. The name would be fitting for the first boy of the family. This is all speculation. The Gano Ganoe Ganow 1610 – 1790 book by Howard Lemaster does list a Stephen as a son of William but it puts his birth at c.1830, but also states above Williams children that the “order of birth not known.” Also the book has no information about Stephen other than it says that he “went to Ohio.” (If you would like I can send photos of the applicable pages.)

I hope that this at least gives you a starting point. If you haven’t already you might want to contact the Hunterdon Historical Society and/or the Buck County Historical Society for more information. You can find research fee info on their websites.

As for Stephen’s civil war information, your best bet is to submit a research request to the National Archives.
(https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=...)
Go to the “Order Reproduction” link and then click on “Military Service and Pension Records”. The fees here vary based on what you want. I have researched several Civil War Veterans using the National Archives and I have had great results. It is well worth the money.

Lastly, I would like to see the letters between Stephen and his wife. If you have transcripts or copies of them please e-mail me or contact me. Although your branch of the family (if William and Jane are Stephen’s parents) is a bit distant from my own it’s still fun to look through.

Let me know what you end up finding. I will keep my eyes open. If I find anything else I will be sure to let you know.

Kurt
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hansberry3503 17 Dec 2011 9:45PM GMT 
Kurt Gano 14 Mar 2012 7:23AM GMT 
hansberry3503 14 Mar 2012 1:33PM GMT 
Kurt Gano 14 Mar 2012 6:13PM GMT 
DianeWestL 6 Jun 2012 8:09PM GMT 
hansberry3503 9 Jun 2012 11:19PM GMT 
hansberry3503 1 Jan 2013 5:10PM GMT 
verdahansberr... 4 Aug 2012 12:26AM GMT 
verdahansberr... 31 Dec 2012 4:28AM GMT 
hansberry3503 1 Jan 2013 4:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions