Stubbs Gant(t) and other African-American Gantts of South Carolina and Georgia

Replies: 1

Stubbs Gant(t) and other African-American Gantts of South Carolina and Georgia

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Aug 2012 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Gant(t), Mitchell, Lockhart, Young, Hendrix, Dunbar, Rouse
Hello,

I am a direct descendant of Stubbs Gant, b. 1864. He married S. Jane Mitchell and had several children: Ila, Pearl, Reubin, Rufus, Resey or Reesy, Sidney, and Mazie/Mazaree/Missouri Gant. Some of these children may or may not have added a "T" at the end of Gant. Most of these children moved to New York City and Philadelphia in the 30's and 40's.

For this family, I am seeking any and all descendants. I am very interested in knowing who Stubbs parents were. It seems he was born in Georgia, but I know they originated in South Carolina, which is just a few miles or across the Ogeechee River which was close to where Stubbs was in Screven County, Georgia.

There are three women named Gant who are buried in Screven County: Lucy Gant, Ellen Gant, and Elease Gant. Elease may have been a child of Stubbs and S. Jane. Not sure how they are connected, but pretty certain they are.

Also, the Gants were related to the following families by marriage and/or blood: Mitchell, Lockhart, Young, Hendrix, Dunbar, Rouse.

Please message back or write if you can help. Thank you!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
missty7 14 Aug 2012 9:26PM GMT 
paforman57 6 Oct 2013 1:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic