Search for content in message boards

RE: WILLIAM M. GARRETSON

Replies: 16

Van der Hoff Quaker records in W.B. Fetter's book, Six Columbiana Co OH Pioneer Fam, Vol 5

Posted: 18 Jul 2010 2:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jul 2010 8:57AM GMT
Surnames: Garretson, Fetter
Hello Kay,

As I think you know, things have been quite busy this year in the POOLE DNA Project & Allied Families, with trying to help sort out our GARRETSON/GARRISON participants lines...

I am trying to find out if you have ever studied the author, W.B. Fetter's incredibly detailed and documented with original sources series...Six Columbiana County Ohio Pioneer Families, the books, have a wonderful section in Leech-Garretson, on "Jan Gerritsen Vanderhofe" (to use the page headings here)-- Importantly, I copied some pages from Volume 5, when I was up in Columbus, OH, Pub Lib, Grant Ave? was it, where the volumes from the former State Library of Ohio were transferred to (perhaps a few years ago now...the genealogy items all transferred to downtown, but the state library still exists...). It is R 929.309771 C726 F421s, if I am reading my notes correctly. On pg 331, there is a reference which may be important. It cites to footnote 18, but it doesn't appear that I copied the page with the footnotes...

This is the section about Quaker records of 1756: Wilmington Monthly Meeting (around New Castle DE area it seems) granting a 14 Oct 1756 certificate of removal to a Cornelius Garretson, born c1734 "who had already settled within the verge of West River Meeting, south of Annapolis, MD." (FN 18). Significant, further info is given here also..."he Descended from Parents who are friends...Left our Parts, being the Place of his Nativity when but a lad and went to Philadelphia, where he Dwelt for some years." [pg 331, source cited infra]

Has your tireless research group ever reviewed this incredible book and its cited, underlying sources, like this footnote eighteen? Please post the fn18 in a reply here when you or someone out there sees it...

If only everyone could learn to cite sources like author, Fetters! I wish I had read this book ten years ago...it spans far more than just Ohio on the complex Garretson VAN DER HOFF lineages. Its a must read for anyone working on this paper trail line and its Y-DNA patterns. An excellent reference for all of us.

Dee in Cincy
Dir.,POOLE DNA Project & Allied Families using lab, FTDNA
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nanvance2 9 Nov 2007 2:54AM GMT 
red1403 18 Jul 2010 8:33PM GMT 
red1403 19 Jul 2010 2:54AM GMT 
KayRobertson6... 20 Jul 2010 3:22AM GMT 
cgarretson52 15 May 2014 3:30AM GMT 
ElmoPike 9 Nov 2007 3:31AM GMT 
red1403 22 Sep 2008 12:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions