Recently the Garrison DNA Project received the results of an upgrade for an older kit. The 12 marker kit was upgraded to 37 markers with very good results. Kit number N88084 can now be placed in the yellow group with the descendants of Hendrik Garretson of New Castle DE and also the descendants of James Garrison & Hester Roberts.
The following is the lineage for this donor:
Kit # N88084
7. John “Jack” Garrison b. 1750-1760, d. July 3, 1853 Sumner Co TN, m. Catharine Gomer
6. William Garrison b. 1781-1790 North Carolina d. about 1831 m. Elizabeth Williams March 4, 1830 Sumner Co TN
5. Thomas Wilkinson Garrison b. December 22, 1830 Sumner Co TN, m. Sarah Ann Davis
4. William John Garrison b. September 28, 1851 d. April 15, 1885 m. Sarah Elizabeth Miller
3. Ezra Garrison b. 1880 d. 1945, m. Lula May Absher
2. Not disclosed
1. Living, not disclosed
This Garrison line migrated to Saline Co IL along with many related families including McMurtry, Trusty, Williams, & Forister shortly after the 1830 census.
There had been a long-held belief that old John “Jack” Garrison of Sumner Co TN had come from Orange Co NC along with several other Orange County families. This DNA evidence backs that up. Because this kit was upgraded to 37 markers, we now know that this participant is a perfect 37/37 match to one of the descendants of James & Hester Garrison and a genetic distance of just one from two descendants of Hendrik Garretson of New Castle DE and two descendants of James & Hester. Those matches are close enough to indicate a very close relationship. The results are posted on the Garrison DNA Project YDNA results page.
The lesson here is, if you or your participant tested fewer than 37 markers, it’s time for an upgrade. The large number of Garrison results in the database now make it more likely that you will find a close match. A 12 or 25 marker test may tell you who you are NOT related to but cannot confirm who you ARE related to. A 67 marker test may help further define the relationships.
Descendant of James Garrison of Carteret Co NC