Minneapolis Messenger, Ottawa County, Kansas, Apr. 13, 1944, page 1:
FATALLY BURNED WHEN CLOTHES CAUGHT FIRE
Norma Jolene Garst Fails to Survive Accident -- Burning Paper in Stove
Norma Jean, ten-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Garst, died at one o'clock Saturday afternoon, in Asbury hospital, Salina, the result of second degree burns sustained Wednesday, April 5, at the home of her parents, who live in the tenant-house on the F.E. Pierce farm west of Minneapolis. Mr. and Mrs. Garst are employed by Mr. Pierce on his farm. Norma Jolene was putting paper in the stove when her clothing caught on fire. Before the flames could be put out, they had spread until her entire body from her waist to her neck, was burned.
From the first, the seriousness of her condition was apparent, as the burns were of second degree. She was taken to Asbury hospital, where she lived only until Saturday afternoon, April 8.
Norma was born November 11, 1934. Burial was in the cemetery at Glasco.