Search for content in message boards

William Gatewood Allen (or) Gatewoods in Virginia 1790-1810

Replies: 2

William Gatewood Allen (or) Gatewoods in Virginia 1790-1810

Posted: 4 Feb 2007 1:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gatewood, Allen, Freeman
I am trying to follow a very sketchy lead to get us past a road-block on our Gatewood ancestors. It's odd that Freeman Gatewood and Stephen Gatewood (brothers) were born in York County, VA in the early 1800s, yet there is no evidence of any Gatewoods in that area at that time (that I can find -- someone please feel free to prove me wrong). I have two separate records of a marriage that took place in Henrico Co, NC between Elizabeth Freeman (daughter of Isham Freeman) and William Gatewood Allen in 1792. I can find nothing in the way of census records, birth records of children or anything else pertaining to this couple. I did find a few notices of an Isham Freeman purchasing land along the Beaver Dam Creek in Virginia (which is York County), but I'm not sure if it's Elizabeth's father. I also found York County tax records for a William Allen in 1800, but I can't tell if that's the same William Allen whose "middle name" is Gatewood and who married Elizabeth Freeman. Anyone with info regarding Henrico County, NC or York County, VA or any information on those people mentioned, please contact me. I'm trying to determine if that couple is in any way related to our missing Freeman/Stephen Gatewood ancestors (thinking that perhaps they changed their surname). Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mresearcher 4 Feb 2007 8:27PM GMT 
mresearcher 4 Feb 2007 8:56PM GMT 
MarvinGatewoo... 20 Apr 2007 10:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions