Search for content in message boards

Gay & Odell/Odle (various spellings) Iredell Co NC to Randolph Co & Montgomery Co. Ala

Replies: 0

Gay & Odell/Odle (various spellings) Iredell Co NC to Randolph Co & Montgomery Co. Ala

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 3:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GAY ODELL/ODLE(various spellings)
To Anna Hite,
I tried to repond to your posting as of a few days ago where in you mentioned Gays in Alabama. Apparently, my ISP and Att.net were not "speaking" to each other at the time because my e-mail to the e-mail address at the end of your message was returned.
I received your posting below to this Gay surname message board at rootsweb.com because I subscribe to the Gay surname e-mail list to which all postings to the Gay message board are transferred, sometimes called "gate-wayed." Apparently, I just never got around to posting my husband's Gay line to the message board.
It has been sometime since I worked on my husband's Gay family connections who were in Randolph County Alabama, before 1850. They came from Iredell County, North Carolina. That section of eastern Alabama was not settled to any extent until after the Indians left before 1840 or so. At least I think that was the year of the first census. The western sections of Alabama were settled much earlier. Various Gay relatives also migrated to several other counties in Alabama at later times.
My husband's Gays, I mentioned above, were from Iredell County, North Carolina, and were in Randolph County, Alabama, before 1850. Unfortunately there were some courthouse fires in Randolph County,Alabama, resulting in lost records. His paternal grandmother was Nancy Jane/Savannah Odell (Odle, etc.) b. c. 1857 Randolph County, North Carolina. Her parents were Joshua Odell and Martha Gay. The Odells (Odles, etc various spellings) were from Randolph County, North Carolina. The Odells stopped off in Georgia for a few years before moving on to Randolph County, Alabama. Two Randolph Counties in two different states.
These two families were particular difficult to trace. My father-in-law died in 1986 still without knowing who his maternal grandparents were. There were almost no family stories with any searchable information. I was only able to get a lead on them in about 1988 after the 1870 Alabama census index was published. When I finally saw a copy I looked for Alabama counties where both Odells and Gays were living. That is how I found them in Randolph County, Alabama.
By the 1880 Alabama census Savannah and her two younger brothers were living with their maternal Grandmother and a maiden aunt in Butler County, Alabama. Their names is shown as "Odom." Savannah Odell/Odle married Joseph Daniel Cates in 1887 in Lowndes/Bulter County, Alabama, and later moved to Lufkin, Angelina County, Texas, in c. 1889 about 35 miles south east of where we now live.
I am particularly interested in your DNA results and what kind of test you took with ancestry. I suggest you contact the volunteer Gay surname administrator on the Gay surname research project at http://www.familytreedna.com in Houston, Texas. I think that there is a way, maybe without charge, that the volunteer administrator, can compare your dna test results through ancestry.com with those from familytreedna. I am not entirely sure that there is a living male with the Gay last name in my husband's extended Gay branches who would be willing to pay for a Gay dna test for comparison. As I mentioned above it has been quite some time(several years) since I worked on this family.
Looking forward to hearing from you about any Gay connections in Alabama if you think there might have been a fit here somewhere. Thanks for including your e-mail so that I could contact you off the message board even if it was not successful.
Vivian Cates, S H 21 W, Alto, Texas 75925-5706
1-936-858-3801 http://www.myinu.net/vcates

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions