Search for content in message boards

Thomas Gay of GA

Replies: 29

Thomas Gay, Steve Gay, Jay Hugh Gay of Jackson county, Alabama

Posted: 13 May 2008 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GAY
Jay Hugh Gay's parents were Steven James "Steve" GAY and Lucy Massey. (Steven James Gay's parents were Thomas Gay and Martha Maxwell). I am not sure who Thomas Gay's parents were; he was born ca 1821-1822 in Georgia and was upward in age to have been a son of Joshua Gay and Sallie Brown, however I don't know if Joshua Gay married more than once.....

Jay Hugh Gay was only about eight or nine years old when his father Steve Gay died, and Jay Hugh Gay's grandfather Thomas Gay died about 10 years before Jay Hugh was born, so he did not know him.

However, Jay Hugh Gay and some of the other descendants of Joshua Gay applied to enroll in the Eastern Cherokee tribe in 1907 (all the applications were denied for lack of proof of Cherokee Indian descent). This is Jay Hugh Gay's application. He mixed up the names of his grandparents in the first part, but in the last part of the application indicates that Joshua Gay was his great-grandfather. Jay Hugh Gay also names his siblings in this application:

NOTES: Jay Hugh Gay applied for enrollment in the Eastern Cherokee tribe in 1907 and 1908 (application was denied). His name was spelled many different ways and the handwriting on some pages very difficult to read. He obviously mixed up his grandparents and great grandparents names in the application. Jay Hugh Gay's father Steve Gay died when Jay Hugh was about eight or nine years old. Jay Hugh Gay's grandfather Thomas Gay died about 10 years before Jay Hugh was born, so he would not remember him. Later in his application, Jay Hugh Gay indicates that Joshua GAY was his great-grandfather, but earlier in the application gave the name of Joshuaway Gay as his grandfather, when it should have been Thomas Gay.....

Transcription of Application to enroll in Eastern Cherokees
Guion Miller rolls, application of Jahue H. GAY (name also spelled as Jahieu and Jahiel H. GAY and other various spellings)
Note: Indexed in Guion Miller Rolls as Johnnie H. GAY)
Note: the handwriting is very difficult to read on some of the pages.

Application # 28558
Court of Claims, Eastern Cherokees
Residence: Stevenson, Jackson county, Alabama
Date of Application: July 8, 1907
Notes: Claimant failed to appear at examination scheduled at Scottsboro, Alabama as directed
Claim Disposition: Rejected

Special Commissioners of the Court of Claims, Washington, D.C.

Sirs, I hereby make application for such share as may be due me of the fund appropriated by the Act of Congress approved June 30, 1906 in favor of the Eastern Cherokees. The evidence of my identity is herewith subjoined.

Provide answers to all questions, which should be short but complete. If you cannot answer, so state.

1. State Full Name: Jahue H. GAY

2. Residence and Post Office: Stevenson, Alabama

3. County: Jackson

4. State: Alabama

5. How old are you? 22 years; born Sept. 8th, 1884

6. Where were you born: In Alabama

7. Are you married: No

8. Name and age of wife: None

9. To what tribe of Indians does he or she belong: None

10. Name all your children who were living May 28, 1906, giving their ages: NONE

11. Give names of your Father and Mother and your mother's name before marriage: Father's English Name: Steve GAY; Indian Name: BROWN; Mother's English Name: Louisie GAY; Indian Name: DANIEL; Maiden Name: Lousie MASSIE

12. Where were they born: Father: In Alabama; Mother: In Alabama

13. Where did they reside in 1851, if living at that time: Father: Not Born; Mother: Not Born

14. Date of death of your father and mother: Father: July 11th, 1894; Mother: Living

15. Were they enrolled for money, annuities, land or other benefits; if so, state when and where, and state what tribe of Indians: Don't Know

16. Name all your brothers and sisters, giving ages and residence if possible:

Alcie VEST, born 1877; living in Fabious, Alabama
Annie EDWARDS, born 1876; living in Anderson, Tennessee
Etna STEELE, born 1881; living in Stevenson, Alabama
Thomas GAY, born 1888; living in Fabious, Alabama
Margie M. GAY, born 1889; living in Fabious, Alabama
Mason GAY, born 1893; living in Fabious, Alabama

17. State English and Indian Names of your Grandparents on both Father's and Mother's side if possible: Father's Side: Joshuay ? GAY and Martha ? BROWN; Mother's Side: MASSIE & DANIEL

18. Where were they born: In Alabama.

19. Where did they reside in 1851 if living at that time: In Alabama.

20. Give names of all their children and residence if possible:

Mart GAY, living in Indian Territory
Hugh Gay, living in Indian Territory
Janie BURGESS, living in Indian Territory
Bettie UNDERWOOD, living in Oklahoma City
Jae or Fae or ?? MASSIE, living in Bridgeport, Alabama
Jennie PHILLIPS, living in Bridgeport, Alabama

21. Have you ever been enrolled for money, annuities, land or other benefits: No.

22. To assist in identification, claimant should give the full English and Indian names, is possible, of their parents and grandparents back to 1835: GAY, BOMAN, DANIEL, KEATH & BROWN

23. Remarks - - The applicant may give any additional facts which will assist in proving her claim:
It has always been told me by my parents that we was descendants of Cherokee Indians.

I solemnly swear that the foregoing statements made by me are true to the best of my knowledge and belief. Signature, JaHue H. GAY, this 8th day of July, 1907.

AFFIDAVIT

Personally appeared, James W. or H. HILL and C.T. BOGART, who being duly sworn on oath, depose and say that they are well acquainted with Jahue H. GAY who makes the foregoing application and statements and have known him for 14 years and 15 years, respectively, and know him to be the identical person he represents himself to be and that the statements made by him are true, to the best of their knowledge and belief, and that they have no interest in this claim. James W. or H. HILL, C.T. BOGART, this 8th day of July, 1907.

Letter from Special Commissioner, Washington, D.C.
To: Jahail ? H. GAY, Stevenson, Alabama

Sir, relative to your application for participation in the Eastern Cherokee Fund, kindly state why the names of your grandparents and other ancestors through whom you claim Cherokee descent and who were living in 1835 and 1851, do not appear on the Cherokee rolls of those dates.

Through which of your grandparents do you claim Cherokee descent? Was either of your parents or any of your ancestors ever held as a slave? If so, state whether they were owned by white people or Indians.

Give the names of your ancestors who ever lived with any Indian tribe, also the name of the tribe and state the time when each lived with such tribe, naming the county and state where they then lived, and what part, if any, they took in the tribal council. Very respectfully, Special Commissioner

Letter from Jahue H. GAY of Stevenson, Alabama
To: Special Commissioner

June 15, 1908

In reply to my appl. no. 28558, will say that I do not know why my ancestor's names does not appear on the rolls of 1835 and 1851 unless they were afraid they would have to go west with the tribe. I claim my Indian descent through my great-grandfather Joushuay GAY. None of my ancestors was slaves to anyone. My great-grandfather Joshuaway GAY lived among the Cherokee tribe in Alabama near the Tennessee River. I do not know what part he took with the tribe. Very respectfully, Jahue H. GAY

June 15, 1908
Tuscumbia, Alabama

Well here is proof that my great grandfather was part Indian and All Joe: a friend of mine by the name of HAZE, and ?? two of the oldest people in the country; one was a Shumake before she married and she married a Faride ?? You wrote that proof to ? make affidavit; you have all that from Mr. HAZE (must mean HAYES)....illegible. Jahue H. GAY
-----------

As a note, I have not heard of any Cherokee Indian ancestry in my Allen Gay family, and Joshua Gay was a brother of Allen Gay. It could be that if there was indeed Cherokee Indian ancestry in Joshua Gay's family, it was probably in his wife Sallie Brown's family.....that is just my guess.

Candace
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bonnie Gilbert 18 Jun 2000 11:33PM GMT 
kmoore359031 20 Aug 2002 9:17PM GMT 
Rhodene 20 Aug 2002 11:21PM GMT 
kristi 21 Aug 2002 3:26AM GMT 
LeeWatkins729 13 Oct 2002 7:58PM GMT 
KristiKEADLEB... 4 Dec 2002 4:05PM GMT 
Gravelle0157 14 May 2008 4:13AM GMT 
kristi moore 2 Dec 2002 3:35AM GMT 
RobertLGay79 5 Dec 2002 10:16PM GMT 
kristi moore 8 Dec 2002 1:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions