Search for content in message boards

Daniel Gibb - San Francisco during 1850s

Replies: 0

Daniel Gibb - San Francisco during 1850s

Posted: 4 Jul 2012 10:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gibb Forbes Knox Wedderspoon Johnstone
Greetings,
I am searching for more information about the genealogy of Daniel Gibb who operated a merchant business in San Francisco, California during the 1850s. I am researching the history of the New Idria Mine located in San Benito County, California.
Daniel Gibb, of “Daniel Gibb & Co.” along with his brother William Gibb purchased the original lease for the New Idria Quicksilver Mine, and after large capital investments, brought the mine into successful production in 1858. New Idria Quicksilver Mine quickly become the worlds fourth largest mercury mine in the world, and eventually became the largest producer in the world.
Here is what little I know about Daniel Gibb:
His office operated offices in San Francisco and Glasgow, Scotland, and also in association with “Watson, Thompson & Co.” (Glasgow) and “John Thompson, Watson & Co.” (Valparaiso).
Daniel was born in Scotland around 1820. He immigrated to San Francisco around 1849. Daniel visited home to marry Helen Walker Johnstone (daughter of Rev. Robert John Johnstone) on her 16th birthday (November 14, 1855) and returned to San Francisco. He later returned to retrieve his elderly mother, Sarah. Daniel and Helen (aka Ellen) had one son, Thomas Murray Gibb (born 1857). Daniel died (December 17, 1861) during a third trip to Glasgow, Scotland. His brother, William died in San Francisco a year later. A possible second child, Agnes, may have been born after his death. Following his death, Helen married Robert Knox. Following his death, his financial affairs fell into bankruptcy and his business taken over by decedents of James Alexander Forbes in San Francisco and Alexander Forbes in Scotland. Following death, his mother (assumed), Sarah seems to acquire the name “Wedderspoon,” perhaps a maiden name or a late-age marriage (doubtful).
The 30-year old Daniel appears to be quite wealthy and well educated suggesting a large inheritance or powerful business associations ... his sudden appearance and success in international trade suggests the latter.
I am hoping someone might share information about his Scotland family, education and possible relationships with the Forbes family.

Thank you,
Ray Iddings
Three Rocks Research

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions