Search for content in message boards

Gilliam Lines

Replies: 6

Re: Gilliam Lines

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 4:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Greetings!
I agree there has been considerable misinformation posted online and published regarding the Gilliams.

I have a website that has tried to bring some clarity to the Gilliam lines of Virginia and beyond, entitled the Gilliams of Virginia. On this website I have posted (for the most part) only primary source material with a few editorial remarks for clarification. See www.home.roadrunner.com/~gilliamsofva/index.html

Unfortunately, much of what you have just posted in my opinion, falls into the misinformation category.

Here are just a few examples (see my “Fact or Fiction?” on my website for more in depth explanations):

The name Devereaux was not used in the Gilliam family until after William Gilliam married Mary Jarratt the daughter of Devereaux Jarratt, Sr. This marriage likely occurred in the late 1740s, possibly in New Kent County, VA. Any other suggestion of earlier Devereaux Gilliams or William Devereaux Gilliams or Thomas Devereaux Gilliams is purely speculation and undocumented. It is highly unusual for anyone at that time to have a “middle” name.

The wife of John Gilliam, the Herald, is undocumented.

The wife of John Gilliam of Norfolk is undocumented. It has been suggested that his wife was a Miss Fountayn/Fountain as a Roger Fountayn oversaw John’s estate, but that is pure speculation. It could be equally possibly that Roger was a business partner or good neighbor. His estate makes no mention of a wife, only an unnamed son.

The surname of Margary who married John Gilliam is unknown. It has been assumed she was a Henshaw as John and Margary have a son named Hinchae, but again, this is undocumented. You stated John and Margary had six children. There are four and possibly five documented children: Elizabeth, John, Hinchae, Charles, and possibly, Margary.

Greg Gilliam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Anita Cashon 12 Jan 2011 7:07AM GMT 
gregilliam2 12 Jan 2011 11:11AM GMT 
Anita Cashon 12 Jan 2011 6:17PM GMT 
Anita Cashon 12 Jan 2011 6:59PM GMT 
Anita Cashon 13 Jan 2011 9:19PM GMT 
gregilliam2 13 Jan 2011 11:43PM GMT 
Anita Cashon 14 Jan 2011 12:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions