Search for content in message boards

Pronunciation of Aquilla Glover's name

Replies: 7

Re: Pronunciation of Aquilla Glover's name

Bill Rosenfeld (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2001 9:48AM GMT
To Dena Pence—

Thanks so much!! While a number of people have responded regarding the pronunciation of Glover (GLUH·ver) yours is the first response on the pronunciation of Aquilla (ah·KWIH·lah) by a person who actually knows some people by that first name. That pronunciation is in accord with those Aquillas of Roman origins and, in the one "l" incarnation, Aquila, is found in New Testament references: Acts 18, First Corinthians 16, Romans 16, Second Timothy 4. Several people, influenced by the Spanish look and feel of the word, but who didn't actually know any Aquillas, suggested the hard Q as in ah·KEE·lah; but it's highly doubtful that Aquilla Glover who migrated to California in the middle 1800s from the Eastern United States would have been given a Spanish name and much more likely that his name was selected from the Biblical references.

I'm sure I've told you much more than you wanted to know in expressing my gratitude to you; but this kind of research, for me, is one of the great kicks in doing audiobook readings.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bill Rosenfeld 20 Jul 2001 2:12PM GMT 
L. DeWitt 25 Jul 2001 4:21PM GMT 
DenaPence 3 Aug 2001 9:06PM GMT 
Bill Rosenfeld 4 Aug 2001 3:48PM GMT 
DenaPence 5 Aug 2001 8:27PM GMT 
ddickensmaybe... 31 Jan 2011 1:13PM GMT 
3grandkids 14 Nov 2012 2:36PM GMT 
3grandkids 14 Nov 2012 2:37PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic