Search for content in message boards

Mary Glover 1860s Blount County, AL

Replies: 0

Mary Glover 1860s Blount County, AL

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 1:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Glover, Williams
My ggggrandfather Dr. Joseph H. (Henry?) Williams was born in Blount County Alabama in November 1861. His father was Joseph H. Williams Sr., a Baptist Minister who went to Blount County from Georgia sometime between 1850 and 1860. Joesph's mother (named Mary Glover according to his death certificate) was rumored to be all or part native american. Joseph Sr., who was married to one Louisa Bagley, also of Georgia, had an affair with Joseph Jr's. mother and according to family history, she was a young lady (age 16?) of native american blood. He is also said to have attended a native american school for a time. Joseph doesn't appear in any census (including the 1865 Blount County Alabama State census that includes his father's family) until 1870 where he is living with his father in Arkansas. My theory is that he was living with his mother at the time. Louisa Bagley died around 1868 when the family was moving from Blount County to Arkansas. I think Joseph's dad then took possession of Joseph from his mother. Or maybe Joseph's mother died and his dad had to take him in resulting in the move (he was a Bapitist Minister at the time and I can only assume that didn't bode too well with his congregation, also he was no longer a minister following the move according to census records).

I've found some potential Mary Glovers who might fit the bill, but I am still trying to pinpoint which was Joesph's mother. I've been heavily rellying on the 1865 Blount County Alabama States Census to try and locate a Mary Glover who had a male child of Joseph's age. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions