Search for content in message boards

Glover family, Stone, England

Replies: 23

Re: Glover family, Stone, England

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 9:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Logorithm, just seen your post, it ia very interesting. But as you say it is very confusing, i think two generations have been mixed up, largely due to the fact that the Glovers seemed to call all their sons William Lawton and then the William's married women who were all called Annie or were known as annie!! I think i can clear a few things up- hopefully! Here goes, the William Lawton you say is your grandfather is the one born in 1854, he was a very well known Military Band leader, he married Mary Ann Pickering and had several children, including your grandmother. He died in 1940. The 'Ellis' listed with them on the 1911 census is Walter Ellis Lawton Glover his second oldest son. The rumour about the family running a theatre is true, but it is William Lawton Glover's family (William Lawton Senior's oldest son and Ellis's brother)who ran it. It was the Theatre Royal in Hanley. William Lawton Glover ( Junior) was my great grandfather and he and his sons played in the theatre orchestra, his wife Charlotte Birkin ( know as Annie- just to confuse matters) ran a boarding house where all the visiting artists stayed, i can remember her telling me about them. I hope this clears a few things up. I do have a newspaper clipping of William Lawton ( senior's) obituary in 1940 - it has a very stern photo of him on it! I think he may have terrified quite a few small children in his time!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lisa astle 15 Jul 2006 8:28AM GMT 
BobMarciaTuck... 15 Oct 2006 9:17PM GMT 
lisaastle 16 Oct 2006 9:08AM GMT 
BobMarciaTuck... 29 Oct 2006 7:09AM GMT 
logorithm 18 Sep 2012 3:07PM GMT 
lisaastle 18 Sep 2012 3:45PM GMT 
logorithm 18 Sep 2012 3:56PM GMT 
lisaastle 21 Sep 2012 3:50PM GMT 
logorithm 21 Sep 2012 5:08PM GMT 
logorithm 18 Sep 2012 4:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions