Search for content in message boards

William B. Goff in Green Co., KY.

Replies: 9

Re: William B. Goff in Green Co., KY.(LONG reply)

Posted: 26 Mar 2009 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOFF
Here is what I have on my Goff's.. Descendants of GOFFE
1 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
GOFFE was born in-1530 in Essex, England, died
married Elizabeth BALCOM
They had one son: William.
William GOFFE was born in _____-_____-1550 in England, died in _____-_____-1627 in Dedham,
County Essex, England at age 77,
Another name for William was Wilyam.
General Notes: Will: 2 FEB 1626/27 Dedham, County Essex, England
The 1627 Will of Willyam Goff,
Dedham, Essex Co., England
In the Name of God, Amen the second day of February 1627 in the third year of the reigne of our Sovraigne
Lord King Charles. I Willyam Goff of Dedham in the County of Essex & Diocese of London being sick in body
but of good remembrance (thanks be to God) do make & ordayne this my last will & testament in manner &
forme following. First I commend my soul into the hands of my Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ; and my Bodie to
the Earth, to be decently buryed in assured hope of a Joyful resurrection into eternall life. And as for my
worldly goods I give & bequeath as follows, etc. FFirst I give & bequeath unto Alice my loving wife (if she lives
still a widdow) the sum of one hundred pounds of lawful money of England. But if she does marrye again, then
I will & ordayne that my wife shall have but three score pounds, And the other fourty pounds shall be to the
only use of my two sons Willyam & John, that is to say thirty pounds thereof to my sonne Willyam Goffe;
And tenne pounds thereof to my sonne John Goffe. And also I will that …?.... come my wife shall marry,
before their said marriage, shall ..?.. come until sufficient surety, enter bond of one hundred pounds, to pay to
my said sonnes Willm & John Goffe their said legacies of thirty pounds & tenne pounds respectively, when
they shall accomplish their..?.. age of one and twenty years. Item: I give to my sonne Willyam Goffe thirty four
pounds of lawful English money to be payed him at his age of one & twentie years. And I will that mv
soninlaw Robert Web, or some other honest man whom my sonne Willm shall choose for his Guardian, shall
house & ?invest his said portion until he attaynes his said age, putting in good securities for the families to such
person or persons as my sonne Willm shall appoint. Item: I give to John Goffe my sonne fourty pounds of like
money, to be payed at his full age of one & twentie years, And I will that my sonne John shall chose his
Guardian who shall house sale & ?invest the same during his minority, putting in good security for the
repayment the..?.. such person or persons my sonne John shall nominate & appoint. And I will that the profitt
& benefit arising of the sale of each of my sonnes said portions shall be to the only use & benefit of my sonnes
both Wiffyam and John respectively. And if either of my sonnes die before their said age of XXI years, then I
will that either of them shall be heir to the other. Provided that if my goods should fall short of my reckoning,
so if that there be not sufficient to pay my debts, and legatees, Then I will that my said wife and two sonnes
shall be ?out & allow each of them an original part & share the ?sum. Item: I give to my soninlaw Robert Web &
Susan his wife five pounds of lawful money to be payed to them one year after my demise. Item: I give to my
two sisters Margaret Chamberien and Katherin Marchant to each of them twenty shillings apeece. And: I give
to my sister Elizabeth E. Hall ten shillings. Item: I give to my nephew Willyam Chamberlen thirty shillings. 2 #
to my niece Margaret Chamberien (children of my sister Margaret Chamberien) two shillings and eight pence of
lawful English money. All my legatees I will shall be payed within one year next after my demise. All the
surplus of my will (If any be) my debts and legatees being payed and my funerall discharged) I give unto
Willyam Goffe my sonne. And I make & ordayne Alice my wife and Willyam Goffe my sonne Executors of
this my last will & testament. And my soninlaw Robert Web Supervisor of the same. Item: I give to my brother
Edward Goffe thirty shillings to be payed within one year after my demise. Renouncing all former wins by me
made, In witness thereof I have hereinto put my hand and seal this day and year above written.
The Mark and Seal
in presence of these witnesses of the Said
Lyonell ?Ebente Willyam Goffe
his mark
Edward Goffe ....date 29 February 1627

The 1627 Will of Willyam Goff,
Dedham, Essex Co., England
In the Name of God, Amen the second day of February 1627 in the third year of the reigne of our Sovraigne
Lord King Charles. I Willyam Goff of Dedham in the County of Essex & Diocese of London being sick in body
but of good remembrance (thanks be to God) do make & ordayne this my last will & testament in manner &
forme following. First I commend my soul into the hands of my Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ; and my Bodie to
the Earth, to be decently buryed in assured hope of a Joyful resurrection into eternall life. And as for my
worldly goods I give & bequeath as follows, etc. FFirst I give & bequeath unto Alice my loving wife (if she lives
still a widdow) the sum of one hundred pounds of lawful money of England. But if she does marrye again, then
I will & ordayne that my wife shall have but three score pounds, And the other fourty pounds shall be to the
only use of my two sons Willyam & John, that is to say thirty pounds thereof to my sonne Willyam Goffe;
And tenne pounds thereof to my sonne John Goffe. And also I will that …?.... come my wife shall marry,
before their said marriage, shall ..?.. come until sufficient surety, enter bond of one hundred pounds, to pay to
my said sonnes Willm & John Goffe their said legacies of thirty pounds & tenne pounds respectively, when
they shall accomplish their..?.. age of one and twenty years. Item: I give to my sonne Willyam Goffe thirty four
pounds of lawful English money to be payed him at his age of one & twentie years. And I will that mv
soninlaw Robert Web, or some other honest man whom my sonne Willm shall choose for his Guardian, shall
house & ?invest his said portion until he attaynes his said age, putting in good securities for the families to such
person or persons as my sonne Willm shall appoint. Item: I give to John Goffe my sonne fourty pounds of like
money, to be payed at his full age of one & twentie years, And I will that my sonne John shall chose his
Guardian who shall house sale & ?invest the same during his minority, putting in good security for the
repayment the..?.. such person or persons my sonne John shall nominate & appoint. And I will that the profitt
& benefit arising of the sale of each of my sonnes said portions shall be to the only use & benefit of my sonnes
both Wiffyam and John respectively. And if either of my sonnes die before their said age of XXI years, then I
will that either of them shall be heir to the other. Provided that if my goods should fall short of my reckoning,
so if that there be not sufficient to pay my debts, and legatees, Then I will that my said wife and two sonnes
shall be ?out & allow each of them an original part & share the ?sum. Item: I give to my soninlaw Robert Web &
Susan his wife five pounds of lawful money to be payed to them one year after my demise. Item: I give to my
two sisters Margaret Chamberien and Katherin Marchant to each of them twenty shillings apeece. And: I give
to my sister Elizabeth E. Hall ten shillings. Item: I give to my nephew Willyam Chamberlen thirty shillings. 2 #
to my niece Margaret Chamberien (children of my sister Margaret Chamberien) two shillings and eight pence of
lawful English money. All my legatees I will shall be payed within one year next after my demise. All the
surplus of my will (If any be) my debts and legatees being payed and my funerall discharged) I give unto
Willyam Goffe my sonne. And I make & ordayne Alice my wife and Willyam Goffe my sonne Executors of
this my last will & testament. And my soninlaw Robert Web Supervisor of the same. Item: I give to my brother
Edward Goffe thirty shillings to be payed within one year after my demise. Renouncing all former wins by me
made, In witness thereof I have hereinto put my hand and seal this day and year above written.
The Mark and Seal
in presence of these witnesses of the Said
Lyonell ?Ebente Willyam Goffe
his mark
Edward Goffe ....date 29 February 1627

William married Alice WILKINSON _-1602 in Little Bromley, Essex, __________, England. Alice was
born in -1575 in 1630 at age 55, and was buried

They had one son: William "Big Man".
William "Big Man" GOFF [167] was born in -1605 in Dedham, Essex, England,
died -1662 in Virginia Colonies, New Kent County, Virginia at age 57, He was usually called Big Man.

General Notes: William Gough/Goff/Goffe, b. 1605, sailed for the States on the Amity out of London in 1635
http://english-america.com/spls/635stc02.html
William Goff, aged 30, was on the list of passengers bound to America on the Amity (or Amitie) bound for St.
Christopher's Island, 13 Oct 1635.
American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI)
Name: William Goffe
Birth Date: 1604
Birthplace: Eng, D.Connecticut, Lt. Gen.
Volume: 64
Page Number: 117
Reference: Addenda to gen. rec. of des. of Richard Blood-Baptist Hicks and allied fams. by Grace
Cabot Blood Toler. Mounds, Il, 1912. (14, 31p.):6
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Year: 1658
Place: Virginia
Source Publication Code: 6264
Primary Immigrant: Goffe, William
Annotation: Names mostly of Irish origin, 1628-1878. Also in nos. 6276 and 6280, O'Brien's The Irish
in America, pp. 48-53 and Irish Settlers in America, pp. 163-168.
Source Bibliography: O'BRIEN, MICHAEL J. "Grantees of Land in the Colony and State of Virginia,
Copied from the County Records of Virginia." In The Journal of the American Irish Historical Society, vol. 13
(1913-1914), pp. 214-219.
Page: 215
Year: 1600-1675
Place: New Haven, Connecticut
Family Members: With father-in-law
Source Publication Code: 3230.10
Primary Immigrant: Goffe, William
Annotation: Date and port of arrival or date and place of will administration or other mention in the New
World. Extracted from four series of abstracted English records appearing in the The New York Genealogical
and Biographical Record between 1903 and 1916. Much
Source Bibliography: HOFF, HENRY B. English Origins of American Colonists, From The New York
Genealogical and Biographical Record. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1991. 287p.
Page: 31
Descendants of GOFFE
4 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Name: William Goff
Year: 1635
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1605
Place: St. Christopher
Source Publication Code: 1219.4
Primary Immigrant: Goff, William
Source Bibliography: COLDHAM, PETER WILSON. The Complete Book of Emigrants: A
Comprehensive Listing Compiled from English Public Records of Those Who Took Ship to the Americas for
Political, Religious, and Economic Reasons; of Those Who Were Deported for Vagrancy, Roguery, or Non-
Conformity; and of Those Who Were Sold to Labour in the New Colonies. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing
Co. 1607-1660. 1988. 600p.
Page: 169
William Goffe 1605-1679
Added by Donald_Gough on 8 Feb 2009
ID: I02161
Sex: M
Birth: 1605 in England
Death: 1660 in King and Queen County, Colony of Virginia
Note: William came to America on the "Amity" out of London in 1635.
Father: Wilyam Goff
Marriage 1 Martha Baxter b: 1610 in Kent Island,Colony of Virginia
Children
Thomas Goff b: 1645 in Virginia
1. William Goffe was born in Sussex, England in 1605, son of a rector of Stamner, England, a Purtanical
Minister. William Goffe died in 1679 in U.S.A.
2. William Gough was born in England in 1605. He was married to Martha Baxter (1610-1670) and had four
children: William Gough Jr. born 1630; Martha Gough, born 1640; and twins Robert and Thomas Goffe, born
1645. Thomas Goffe married Margaret Arnold in 1670 and had four children. William Gough and his family are
believed to have sailed to America on the ship Amitee in 1635.
3. 7 Oct 1658, William Gough patented 1,000 acres of land in New Kent Co. VA for transporting 20 persons.
Ref "Goff/Gough, Their Ancestors & Descendants" Martha Goffe patented 650 acres land formerly granted to
Wm. Gough by patent 22 July 1659 and by Wm. Assigned to John Maddison and assigned by Maddison to
Martha Goffe, 8 Feb 1663. William Goffe and Martha had the folllowing children. Thomas Goffe/Gough,
William Goffe/Gough, Martha Goffe/Gough. Robert Goffe/Gough.
4. William Goffe, Jr., born 1650 - New Kent, Virginia, Spouse Alice Thacker, Parents William Goffe Sr. birth
abt 1605-England, spouse: Martha Baxter.
5. March 26, 1677 - William Gough was granted 500 acres of land in Calvert Co. Md. (Liber 19,433). When
William Gough died 5/18/1679, he willed an estate of 800 acres to his wife Hester. 500 of these acres had been
given to William 3/26/1677, in Calvert Co. Md.
ID: I554
Name: William GOFFE
NSFX: Sr
Title: Sr
Birth: Abt 1605 in England
Death: Bef 22 JUL 1659 in King & Queens County,Colony Of Va
Event: MARRIAGE Abt 1644 Virginia
Note:
Descendants of GOFFE
5 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
1 _UID 173568B1502CD51184AB98540805B043E29A
Ray Family Tree
Entries: 11868 Updated: Thu Jul 6 19:54:56 2000 Contact: Jean Ray Marshalek
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ID: I10179
Name: William Goffe 1
Birth: ABT. 1605 in Probably England
Death: BEF. 22 Jul 1659 in New Kent Co., VA
Fact 6: Immigrant
Fact 7: 7 Oct 1658 Pat. 1000 acs. New Kent Co., VA 2
Fact 8: 22 Jul 1659 Martha pat. 650 acrs of above.
Fact 9: 13 Oct 1635 age 30 to St. Christophers Amitie 3
Reference Number: 748
Marriage 1 Martha b: ABT. 1626
Married: ABT. 1647
Children
Thomas Goffe b: ABT. 1656 in Richmond City, VA
Robert Goffe b: ABT. 1652
William Goffe b: ABT. 1650
Martha Goffe b: 1648 in Essex Co., VA
Sources:
Title: Marriages of Some VA Residents, 1607-1800, Series I. Vol. 2, Dorothy Ford Wulfeck 1963
Repository:
Call Number:
Media: Book
Title: Cavaliers and Pioneers, Nell Marion Nugent
Repository:
Call Number:
Page: 380
Title: Original Lists of Persons of Quality 1600-1700, John Camden Hotten 1974
Repository:
Call Number:
Page: 136
_RIN: 1 1
Change Date: 22 DEC 2002 at 23:10:58
Father: Wilyam GOFFE
Marriage 1 Martha BAXTER b: 1625? in Kent Island,Colony Of Va
Note: 1 _UID 183568B1502CD51184AB98540805B043E3AA 1
Children
William GOFFE b: Abt 1650 in Virginia
Thomas GOFFE b: 1645 in King George County,Colony Of Va
Sources:
Title: GEDCOM File : nolance1.ged
Author: William K. Nolan
Abbrev: William K. Nolan
Abbrev: GEDCOM File : nolance1.ged
Descendants of GOFFE
6 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Note:
551 Goat Creek Cutoff Road
Kerrville, Texas 78028-9418
830-367-7217
oldgoat36@hctc.net
Date: 28 APR 2001
Big married Margaret/Martha BAXTER [168] [MRIN: 68], daughter of Roger BAXTER [171] and
Alice PARKER [172], in _____-_____-1641 in Essex, VA. Margaret/Martha was born in _____-_____-1620
in Old Rappahannock County, Virginia Colonies, died in _____-_____-1670 in Rappanhannock, Essex, Virginia,
USA at age 50, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Another name
for Margaret/Martha was Martha. They had four children: Thomas, William, Robert, and Martha.
Thomas GOFF [165] was born in _____-_____-1645 in Old, Rappahannock, Virginia, USA, died on Sep 28,
1727 in Hanover Parish, King George, Virginia, USA at age 82, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________.
Thomas married Margaret ARNOLD [166] [MRIN: 67], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Margaret was
born in _____-_____-1671 in __________, __________, __________, died in _____-_____-1758 in King
George County, Colony of Virginia at age 87, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________. They had two children: John and Margaret "Mary".
John GOFF [163] was born about _____-_____-1684 in __________, __________, __________, died about
_____-_____-1762 in Amherst Co., VA. about age 78, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
General Notes:
John married Ann TINSLEY [164] [MRIN: 66], daughter of Thomas TINSLEY II [169] and Sarah
JACKSON [170], in _____-_____-1716 in __________, __________, __________. Ann was born in _____-
_____-1687 in Essex County, VA, died in _____-_____-1763 in South Carolina, USA at age 76, and was buried
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had seven children: Leonard Edward,
Margaret, Joseph, Elizabeth, Ambrose, Martha, and John.
Leonard Edward GOFF [161] was born in _____-_____-1722 in Bedford/Amherst Co., VA., died on Jan 11,
1773 in Bedford/Amherst Co., VA. at age 51, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Leonard married Ann ____________ [162] [MRIN: 65], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Ann was born
in _____-_____-1734 in Southampton, Virginia, USA, died in _____-_____-1791 in Lincoln, Kentucky, USA at
age 57, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had two children:
William and Ambrose.
William GOFF Sr [159] was born about _____-_____-1765 in Virginia, died in _____-_____-1830 in Hart Co.,
KY about age 65, and was buried _____-_____-_____ on family plot Green Co., KY.
General Notes: Hart County Kentucky Historical Society Quarterly, published by the Hart COunty Historical
Society Munfordville, KY 72675
Volume II, number 1, Winter 1970
1819 Tax List (first tax list taken in the county after it was created from Hardin, Barren and possibly parts of
Green and Christian)
GOFF, Wm. Sr. - 150 acres Green River
GOFF, Wm. Jr. - 150 acres Barren River
Volume II, #4 Fall 1970 Tax List 1836-1838 page 11
Goff, Elijah W. 106 acres, Barrens, $200 horse, etc. Total Value $290
Descendants of GOFFE
7 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Golf, Eliza, 221 acres, $553, 3 children, crops and stock Total Value $613
Golf, Leonard, horse, etc. Total Value $250
Volume IV, #4, October 1971 - Hart County Death Statistics, copied from May 1929 KHS Journal. (p.7 in
Quarterly)
Goff, Leonard 30 Male born Green County. Parents: Elijah and Eunity. died 0726/1852
(this differs from information from Hester Garrett, also year of birth. And the tombstone inscription agrees as to
month and year with this)
Volume IV, July 1972 #3, the Maxey Family, p. 15.
This family formerly of Powhatan and Buckingham Counties, VA had a daughter Mary (Polly) Obedience
Maxey, who married Edward Lewis in 1829. (Possibly a brother of Lucy Lewis who married Lewis Goff in
1830)
Migrated to the Green river/Brush Creek area of Grenn /Hart/Barren about 1792. The first three children came
with him and another eight were born in Ky.
Reported to have a will in Hart County Will Book A. 1819 - 1850
8 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
William married Betsey/Betsy Elizabeth WHITTON/WHITTEN/WITTEN [160] [MRIN: 64], daughter of
Jeremiah WHITTEN [3108] and Ann BARROW [3109], on Jan 1, 1784 in Amhearst Co, VA.
Betsey/Betsy was born about _____-_____-1765 in __________, __________, __________, died in _____-
_____-1860 in Green, Hart, Kentucky, USA about age 95, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. They had 11 children: Jemima, Whetton, Elijah W., Ann, Leonard, William,
Rebecca "Betsy," Edward, James R., Lewis Edward, and Lucy.
Jemima GOFF [2929] was born in _____-_____-1796 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Jemima married Samuel WHITTIER [2961] [MRIN: 1269], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________.
Whetton GOFF [2938]
Elijah W. GOFF [102] was born on Feb 27, 1785 in Bedford County, Amherst, VA, died on Nov 3, 1875 in
Osceola, Green County, KY at age 90, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Macedonia Ch Cem, Donansburg,
Green Co, KY.
General Notes: Kentucky Marriages to 1850 Goff, Elijah to Rogers, Unity
Marriage date verified by Ky Marriage Index as June 8, 1804
Goff, Elijah
Rogers, Unity 08 Jul 1804 Kentucky
Green County
BURIAL: Buried in Macedonia Church Cemetery, Green County, KY
1810 United States Federal Census (?)
Name: Goff, Elijah
Township: Chatham
County: Middlesex
State: Connecticut
Year: 1810
Roll: M252_2
Page: 293
Image: 299
The 1840 Hart Co., KY Census Film#007827
Page 205
Goff, Elijah 2 males age 20-30
1 male age 50-60 (Elijah)
1 female 15-20
1 female 60-70
1 female 70
Buried Macesonia Cemetary Donnasburg,Green,Ky.
Could not read or write
Land sale 2/23/1830 Elijah & Mary
Land Sale 10 /29/1830 Elijah & Unity
Elijah, son of William, spent his entire life in the Hart/Green/Barren area. From 1840 until his death he was in
Hart County. His father William spent 40 years in the same area. Elijah had 11 children.
1850 Hart County Census states he was married to a Mary, 66 yrs old, a cooper, owned $400 in property. Mary
was age 50 at this time.
Descendants of GOFFE
9 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Kentucky Land Grants
about Goff, Elijah
Grantee: Goff, Elijah
Acres: 7
Book: I
Survey Date: 5- 7-1821
County: Green
WaterCourse: Little Barren R
Reference: THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 1
CHAPTER VI KENTUCKY LAND WARRANTS (1816-1873)
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 570
More Info: Grantee: Goff, Elijah
Acres: 7
Book: I
Page: 5
Date Survey: 5- 7-1821
Watercourse: Little Barren R
10 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Elijah married Unity/Eunity ROGERS [103] [MRIN: 35], daughter of Isaiah ROGERS [104] and
Unknown, on Jun 7, 1804 in Green County, KY. Unity/Eunity was born on Jan 1, 1777 in VA, died about
_____-_____-1821 in Green, Kentucky about age 44, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. They had seven children: Edward, Elizabeth, William(Uncle Billy), John Rogers,
Elijah Whitten, Leonard, and Jamima/Jemina Whitten.
Edward GOFF [2933] was born in _____-_____-1805 in Green Co, KY, died in _____-_____-1838 in
__________, __________, __________ at age 33, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Edward married Elizabeth BUNNELL [2967] [MRIN: 1275], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Elizabeth GOFF [2965] was born in _____-_____-1806 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Elizabeth married Henry KESSLER [339] [MRIN: 1273], son of Daniel KESSLER [96] and Eve/Phoebe
KOONTZ [97], on Sep 8, 1827 in Green Co, KY. Henry was born in _____-_____-1804 in Ashe County, North
Carolina, died in _____-_____-1875 in Hart Co., KY at age 71, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
General Notes: possible burial of this couple.
Gibson Cemetery on Highway 569 between Powder Mills and Hudgins
William(Uncle Billy) GOFF [100] was born on May 14, 1808 in Osceola, Green County, KY, died on Jun 9,
1881 in Osceola, Green County, KY at age 73, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Macedonia Church
Cemetery, Donansburg, ky, usa.
General Notes: 1830 United States Federal Census
Name: Goff, William
Township: Unknown Townships 2
County: Calloway
State: Kentucky
Year: 1830
Roll: M19_34
Page: 205
Image: 414
1860 United States Federal Census
William Goff District 2, Green, KY 52 1807 Kentucky Male
Leonard Goff District 2, Green, KY 18 1841 Kentucky Male
Thos Goff District 2, Green, KY 16 1843 Kentucky Male
Elijah W Goff District 2, Green, KY 27 1832 Kentucky Male
Mary A Goff District 2, Green, KY 27 1832 Kentucky Female (Strader, nee Hind)
Matilda E Goff District 2, Green, KY 1 1858 Kentucky Female
Emily J Strader District 2, Green, KY 8 1851 Kentucky Female
Richard T Strader District 2, Green, KY 6 1853 Kentucky Male
another source
Children
Polly Ann GOFF b: 1 FEB 1829
Julius Ceasar GOFF b: 1 NOV 1831
Elijah Whitton GOFF b: SEP 1832
Uriah Gillum GOFF b: 7 JUL 1835
Jesse Miles GOFF b: 7 SEP 1837 in Summersville, Green Co. KY.
Sarah Emily GOFF b: 22 JUN 1839
Descendants of GOFFE
11 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Elizabeth Ermine GOFF b: 22 MAR 1840
William Leonard GOFF b: 10 FEB 1843
Emily Davis GOFF
John GOFF
Jusioul C. GOFF
Nancy Tolley GOFF
Whitney GOFF
Thomas GOFF
Edward Harvey. GOFF b: 20 JAN 1839
James Thomas GOFF b: 27 OCT 1844
William(Uncle married Nancy Jane A?S? HANDY [101] [MRIN: 34], daughter of Caleb W HANDY
[105] and Unknown, on Dec 6, 1827 in Greensburg, Green County, KY. Nancy was born on Jun 25, 1808 in
Center, Green County, KY, died on Sep 9, 1882 in Osceola, Green County, KY at age 74, and was buried _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had seven children: Julius Christopher,
Elijah/Elza/EligiaWhitten, William Leonard (Lenn), James Thomas, Jesse Miles, Polly Ann, and Sarah
Emily.
General Notes: 1850 U.S. Census • Kentucky • Clark • District 1
nancy Goff age 51
Thomas age 2
William Tracey
Julius Christopher GOFF [2893] was born on Nov 1, 1831 in Osceola, Green, Kentucky, USA, died on Feb 27,
1920 in Barren, Kentucky, USA at age 88, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Julius married Kate C ____________ [3012] [MRIN: 1296], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1896 in __________, __________, __________. Kate was born
in Sep-_____-1847 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had two children: Evie and Murtie.
Evie GOFF [3013] was born in Sep-_____-1870 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Murtie GOFF [3014] was born in Feb-_____-1883 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Julius next married Isaphina D HATCHER [3016] [MRIN: 1297], daughter of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________, on Nov 15, 1854 in Barren Co., KY. Isaphina was born on Jan 30, 1839 in
Kentucky, died on Oct 4, 1895 in __________, __________, __________ at age 56, and was buried _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had 12 children: Mary, William, Luther, Jessie
T, James, Maud Elizabeth "Lizzie," Charles G, Eva May, Walter E, Doctor, Malcolm, and Mittie Ermine.
Mary GOFF [3017] was born in _____-_____-1857 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
William GOFF [3018] was born in _____-_____-1860 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Luther GOFF [3023] was born in _____-_____-1860 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Descendants of GOFFE
12 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Jessie T GOFF [3019] was born about _____-_____-1862 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
James GOFF [3020] was born about _____-_____-1864 in __________, __________, __________, died
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Maud Elizabeth "Lizzie" GOFF [3021] was born on Jul 24, 1865 in __________, __________, __________,
died on Jun 29, 1944 in Barren, Kentucky, USA at age 78, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. She was usually called Lizzie.
General Notes: #
Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953 Record
Birth, Marriage & Death
#
Name:
Maud Ellizebeth Goff Maggard
Spouse:
James B Maggard
Father:
J C Gapp
Birth:
24 Jul 1865 in Kentucky
Death:
29 Jun 1944 in Barren, Kentucky
Residence:
Kentucky
Lizzie married someone James B MAGGARD [3070] [MRIN: 1306], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one daughter: Katie Jewell.
Katie Jewell MAGGARD [3071]
Charles G GOFF [3022] was born in _____-_____-1867 in __________, __________, __________, died
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Eva May GOFF [3024] was born in _____-_____-1870 in __________, __________, __________, died
Walter E GOFF [3025] was born in _____-_____-1874 in __________, __________, __________, died
Doctor GOFF [3026] was born in _____-_____-1876 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Malcolm GOFF [3027] was born in _____-_____-1878 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Mittie Ermine GOFF [3405] was born on Dec 15, 1857 in Barrenco, __________, Kentucky, USA, died on
Descendants of GOFFE
13 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Dec 25, 1954 in Legrande, Hart, Kentucky, USA at age 97, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Mittie married Eli Michael BRANSTETTER [3406] [MRIN: 1425], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Eli was born on
May 15, 1847 in Kentucky, USA, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was
buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had one son: Daniel Boone.
Daniel Boone BRANSTETTER [3431] was born on May 29, 1892 in Kentucky, USA, died on May 5, 1956 in
Horse Cave, Hart, Kentucky, USA at age 63, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Elijah/Elza/EligiaWhitten GOFF [89] was born on Sep 1, 1832 in Green County, Greensburg KY, died on Aug
15, 1915 in Munfordville, Hart County, KY at age 82, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Old Family Farm
Cemetery near Greensburg, Green, Kentucky.
General Notes: 1860 U.S. Census • Kentucky • Green • Unknown Townships
Name: Elijah W Goff Age in 1860: 27
Birthplace: Kentucky
Home in 1860: District 2, Green, Kentucky Gender: Male
Value of real estate: Post Office: Monroe
Roll: M653_370 Page: 0 Year: 1860
Head of Household: William Goff
census shows Mary A same age at Elijah in the household. His wife I assume.
Under their names are Matilda F age 1, Emily Strader F, age 8 and Richard T Strader age 6. This must be the half
brother and sister referred to in Edd's death book.
Census Kentucky 1900 Hart County
Repository:
Call Number:
Media: Census
Page: 14A Munfordville Dist
Text: Enumeration done June 20, 1900 by George W Marion Film T623_526
Goff, Elijah head W M Sept 1832 age 67 married 50 years, born KY Fa: Ky Mo: KY Occ:Farm labor can read
and write Home not farm
Goff, Mary A wife W F Feb 1832 age 68 married 50 years no children born KY Fa: Ky Mo: KY Occ:none can
read and write
(on the census on the line above Elijah is a Daniel Goff born Apr 1874 wife Alma born June 1877)
Marriage records
Elijah Goff and Mary Ann Strader
Bond 6/14/1858 Married 6/14/1858
Married by L. Sidebottom at T. Hinds
Wit: T. Hinds and M. Hinds
Elijah/Elza/EligiaWhitten married Mary Ann HINDS [2913] [MRIN: 29], daughter of Thomas S.
HINDS [92] and Mary Elizabeth(Betsy) KESSLER [93], on Jun 14, 1858 in Greensburg, Green
County, Kentucky. Mary was born on Feb 2, 1832 in Green Co, KY, died on Apr 29, 1908 in Munfordville,
Hart Co, KY, __________ at age 76, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________. They had seven children: Matilda Ellen, Daniel Edward "Edd," Sarah Ann, Nannie S, William
Louis"Texas," James Robert, and Viola Katherine "Kattie".
General Notes: Just a note on Black Dutch... This also included Indian heritage. Many, mostly Cherokee were
Indians who wanted to remain in the standard population after the trail of tears when the Indian Tribes were
forced to move to reservation. They would tell the Census takers they were ei: Black Dutch, Black Irish, Black
German, & therefore, if they were fair skinned enough to pass, would be aloud to stay at their place of
residence. Later it was also picked up by lite skinned blacks or those of mixed heritage ( as if all Americans are
Descendants of GOFFE
14 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
not of mixed heritage, of course).
** One of the stories I have heard of in Kentucky was a family for which Mom that never allowed her children
outdoors. She was Indian and she feared that if they got into the sun, they would be recognized for their
ancestry and the family would be sent away.
Matilda Ellen GOFF [158] was born on Apr 4, 1859 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
_____-_____ in Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Daniel Edward "Edd" GOFF [67] was born on Apr 23, 1874 in Greensburg, Green County, KY, died on Mar
14, 1960 in Elizabethtown, Hardin County, KY at age 85, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Hardin
Memorial Park in Elizabethtown, Hardin Co., Kentucky. He was usually called Edd.
General Notes: Daniel and Alma had 5 children
Minnie Lela
Benjamin Shelby
Mary Grace
Edna Gertrude
Jessie Orlie
It was the custom in this family to use middle names as the common name. Edna was known as Gertrude.
Alma's death book also states a death of an infant son.
1900 Hart County, KY Census shows Edd, and Alma.
Name: Daniel E Goff Home in 1900: Munfordville, Hart, Kentucky Age: 26 Estimated birth year: 1874
Birthplace: Kentucky Race: White Relationship to head-of-house: Head Occupation: Image source: Year: 1900;
Census Place: Munfordville, Hart, Kentucky; Roll: T623 526; Page: 14A; Enumeration District: 52.
1910 Census Kentucky – HART County
Name: Edward Goff
Age in 1910: 35
Estimated Birth Year: 1874
Home in 1910: 1-DIST, HART, Kentucky
Race: White
Series: T624 Roll: 479 Part: 2 Page: 33B Year: 1910
1920 Hart County, KY Census, Munfordville area (includes Kessinger area) page 256 Lists Daniel Edward as
Edd and Orlie as Arlie.
Based on info from Munfordville Historical, they are believed to have lived in Kessinger. see map in file. Copy
of Census page also in file.
DEATH: Death book notes a M H Starks, Bea Harlow, and E L Carter as a family members attending.
Death book also states:
lists one half brother and a half sister, so which parent?
1920 U.S. Census • Kentucky • Hart • Munfordville • ED# 71
Name: Edd Goff Age: 46 years Estimated birth year: 1873 Birthplace: Kentucky Race: White Home in 1920:
Munfordville, Hart, Kentucky
Home owned: View Image
Sex: View Image
Marital status: View Image
Descendants of GOFFE
15 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Year of immigration: View Image
Able to read & write: View Image
Roll: T625_574 Page: 5A ED: 71 Image: 0734
Death certificate states fathers name Elijah W. Goff, and mother as Mary Hines. Cause of death was carcinoma
of the bladder. (bladder cancer)
Birth from Kentucky birth Records 1852-1910
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, David Edward Goff 23 Apr 1873 White Not Stated, Hart,
KY
16 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Edd married Alma Eris MYERS [68] [MRIN: 20], daughter of Silas S. MYERS [107] and Jemima
BAKER [108], on Sep 7, 1899 in Kessinger, Hart County, KY. Alma was born on Jul 1, 1877 in Joplin,
Missouri, died on Apr 12, 1974 in Meadows, Illinois at age 96, and was buried on Apr 13, 1974 in Hardin
Memorial Park in Elizabethtown, Hardin Co., Kentucky. They had six children: Jessie Orlie, Minnie Lela,
Benjamin Shelby, Mary Grace, Edna Gertrude, and Infant.
General Notes: Alma's daughter told of Alma coming to Kentucky in a covered wagon?
Last will and testament of Alma Eris Goff
I, Alma Eris Goff, Elizabethtown, KY, being of sound mind do hereby make this my last will and testmanent,
hereby revoking any wills or codicils heretofore by me made.
First, I will that ll my just debts and funeral expenses shall be paid.
Second, I give, divese and bequeath all the remainder of my estate, real, personal or mixed, wheresoever situated
to my five children to be diveded equally among my five children.
1. Jessie Orlie Goff, Prophetstown, Illinois
2. Lela Decker, Lexington, Illinois
3. Shelby Goff, Atkinson, Illinois
4. Mary Cave, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
5. Gertrude Jackson, Princeton, Minnesota
share and share alike, to them and their heirs forever.
Third, I nominate and appoint my daughter, Mary Cave, Elizabethtown, KY as the Executrix of my will and
direct that no bond be required of my Executrix. As an alternate, I appoint my son-in-law, Clemmie G. Cave, as
Executor of my estate and direct that no bond be requited of my Executor.
In witness whereof, I have here unto set my hand at Elizabethtown, KY, this 29th day of March, 1962.
Alma Eris Goff
This instrument was signed, acknowledged and published by the said Alma Eris Goff as and for her last will and
testament in our joint presence and by us signed as attesting witnesses at her request in her presence and in the
presence of each other, on this 29th day of March, 1962. W.
Burton Cowley, Elizabethtown, KY and Wyla M. Long, Elizabethtown, KY
Filed April 1974. See attached certificate in file.
In her own handwriting, in file, a paper with her info on it as follows:
Alma Eris (Myers) Goff SSN 405-54-7939
DOB 07/01/1877 Joplin, MO
Father: Silas Myers, Seymour, Ind.
Mother: Jemima Baker, Seymour, Ind.
Spouse: Daniel Edward Goff , died 03/15/1960
Jessie Orlie GOFF [72] was born on Feb 12, 1901 in __________, __________, __________, died on Dec 12,
1980 in __________, __________, __________ at age 79, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Jessie married someone _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. ____________
____________ They had one daughter: Irene.
Irene GOFF [77]
Irene married ____________ CLARK [78] [MRIN: 24], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one daughter: Joyce Ann.
Joyce Ann CLARK [79]
Minnie Lela GOFF [69] was born on Sep 14, 1902 in __________, __________, __________, died on Jun 7,
1984 in __________, __________, __________ at age 81, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Descendants of GOFFE
17 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Minnie married Jimmy DECKER [73] [MRIN: 21], son of ____________ ____________ and ____________
____________. They had two children: Lola and William "Bill".
Lola DECKER [74]
William "Bill" DECKER [75]
Benjamin Shelby GOFF [70] was born on Dec 16, 1905 in Hart County, KY, died on Apr 12, 1975 in
__________, __________, __________ at age 69, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Benjamin married Mary Lissia WALTERS [80] [MRIN: 25], daughter of Anderson WALTERS [87] and
Blanche HORTON [88], on Jan 1, 1925 in __________, __________, __________. Mary was born on Mar
18, 1907 in __________, __________, __________, died on Dec 14, 1994 in __________, __________,
__________ at age 87, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They
had three children: Baby Boy, Edna Katherine, and Linda Carolyn.
Baby Boy GOFF [81] was born on Nov 25, 1925 in __________, __________, __________, died on Nov 25,
1925 in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Edna Katherine GOFF [82]
Edna married George Irwin ____________ [84] [MRIN: 26], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one son: Kenneth Lee.
Kenneth Lee ROMIG [85]
Edna next married Ralph Vernon ROMIG [86] [MRIN: 27], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. Ralph was born on Sep 28, 1911 in __________, __________, __________,
died on Nov 1, 1988 in __________, __________, __________ at age 77, and was buried _____-_____-_____
in __________, __________, __________.
Linda Carolyn GOFF [83]
Linda married Billy Carroll DUNN [244] [MRIN: 99], son of Benjamin Carl DUNN [245] and Georgia Nell
STEVENS [246]. They had two children: Mark Jeffrey and Mary Ellen.
Mark Jeffrey DUNN [247]
Mark married Deborah Lynn WILSON [250] [MRIN: 101], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one daughter: Kailea Lynn.
Kailea Lynn DUNN [249]
Mary Ellen DUNN [248]
Mary married Karl Joseph HERDER [251] [MRIN: 102], son of George HERDER [252] and Rachel
ANDERSON [253]. They had two children: Amber Lynn Herder and Michael Joseph.
Amber Lynn Herder HERDER [254]
Michael Joseph HERDER [255]
Mary Grace GOFF [71] was born on Feb 23, 1908 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Descendants of GOFFE
18 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
General Notes: Attended Neboe School in 1913. See Newspaper clipping in file.
Mary married Clemmie CAVE [76] [MRIN: 22], son of ____________ ____________ and ____________
____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Clemmie was born on Oct 31,
1906 in __________, __________, __________, died on Dec 24, 1980 in __________, __________,
__________ at age 74, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Edna Gertrude GOFF [6] was born on Feb 18, 1910 in Munfordville, Hart Co, KY, Kessinger area, died on Jan
14, 2000 in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN at age 89, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Oak Knoll
Cemetery, Princeton, Mille Lacs County, MN.
General Notes: Edna (was called Gertrude)
Gertrude had uterine cancer when she was about 30 and had a hysterectomy. She also had a kidney removed at
one point. She then had some skin cancers on her face removed and survived breast cancer as well. Having only
one breast removed.
She was known well for her quilts and cooking.
Edna married Leonard Thomas JACKSON [5] [MRIN: 2], son of Shirley Monroe JACKSON [9] and
Annie Bell DONES [10], on Feb 1, 1933 in Munfordville, Hart Co, KY, __________. Leonard was born on Jan
16, 1908 in Bardstown, Nelson county, KY, usa, died on Nov 21, 1981 in Princeton, Sherburne County, MN, usa
at age 73, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Oak Knoll Cemetery, Princeton, Mille Lacs County, MN. They
had three children: Edward Lee, Arvin Thomas, and Richard Wayne(Dick).
General Notes: Leonard was born in Nelson County, KY
When Leonard was three months old, he became ill with pnuemonia. He recovered.
He was baptised in the river below the Rolling Fork Christian Church.
1930 census shows Leonard as a Lodger in the Goldsborough household in Allin, McLean, Illinois. Photos of
this family are in their photo album as well.
this fits with the family story of being a sharecropper in Illinois.
In the 1960's Leonard underwent a fairly new procedure for the time and had a hip replaced.
Social Security Number: 357-30-6549
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois
MN Death Certificate
JACKSON, LEONARD THOMAS
CertID# 1981-MN-029453
Date of Birth:01/16/1908
Place of Birth:OUT OF STATE
Mother Maiden Name: DANAS
Date of Death: 11/21/1981
County of Death: SHERBURNE
Odd typo on Mothers Maiden name I think.
Edward Lee JACKSON [2]
Edward married Helen Jane FROST [3] [MRIN: 1], daughter of Beryl Walter FROST [138] and Elizabeth
Jane OWENS [137]. They had two children: Rebecca Jane and Colleen Lee.
Rebecca Jane JACKSON [1]
Rebecca had a relationship with Daniel Robert BERGQUIST [2863] [MRIN: 1204], son of Larry Lane
BERGQUIST [2864] and Yvonne Jane SCHMIT [2865]. They had one son: Thomas Robert.
Thomas Robert JACKSON [60]
Descendants of GOFFE
19 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas had a relationship with Shantelle STATELY [2704] [MRIN: 1203], daughter of Anthony Wayne
FASTHORSE [3857] and Connie Joyce STATELY [3856]. They had one daughter: Aurora Rhianna.
Aurora Rhianna STATELY [2705]
Rebecca next had a relationship with Wayne Dennis LINDBERG [2860] [MRIN: 17], son of Dennis Dale
LINDBERG [2861] and Phyllis Jean MYERS [2862]. They had one son: William Lee.
William Lee JACKSON [61]
Rebecca next had a relationship with Russell Scott MAGNEY [2868] [MRIN: 1241], son of Carol Herbert
MAGNEY [2890] and Marjorie Anne HAUSER [2889]. Russell was born in _____-_____-1966 in
__________, __________, __________, died in _____-_____-2004 in St. Cloud, Stearns County, MN USA at
age 38, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had one daughter:
Christina Elizabeth.
Christina Elizabeth JACKSON [62]
Christina married someone Jason GOURLIE [2706] [MRIN: 1205], son of ____________ ____________ and
Colleen Lee JACKSON [4]
Colleen married Robert "Butser" GREGORY [64] [MRIN: 18], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one son: Lucas James Jackson.
Lucas James Jackson GREGORY [63]
Colleen next married Raymond "Chip" BARTZ [65] [MRIN: 19], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one daughter: Lydia Lee.
Lydia Lee BARTZ [66]
Arvin Thomas JACKSON [7] was born on Feb 9, 1934 in Prophetstown, Whiteside County, Illinois, died on
May 6, 1988 in Missoula, Missoula County, Montana at age 54, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Oak
Knoll Cemetery, Princeton, Mille Lacs County, MN.
General Notes: Graduated from Annawan High School in Illinois in 1952. See program in file.
Arvin JACKSON Birth Date: 9 Feb 1934 Death Date: 6 May 1988 Social Security Number: 341-30-6875 State
or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois Death Residence Localities ZIP Code: 59634 Localities:
Clancy, Jefferson, Montana Montana City, Jefferson, Montana
Richard Wayne(Dick) JACKSON [8]
Richard married Dorothy Ann MOE [57] [MRIN: 16], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had two children: Jennifer Ann and Amy Lynn.
Jennifer Ann JACKSON [58]
Amy Lynn JACKSON [59]
Infant GOFF [2914] was born about _____-_____-1907 in __________, __________, __________, died about
_____-_____-1907 in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Sarah Ann GOFF [284] was born on Oct 8, 1860 in Greensburg, Green, Ky., died on Jul 14, 1939 in Hubbard,
Hill, Texas, USA at age 78, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Descendants of GOFFE
20 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Nannie S GOFF [285] was born on Jun 1, 1863 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-
_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Nannie married George A BISHOP [2921] [MRIN: 1254], son of ____________ BISHOP [2922] and
Unknown ____________ [2923], on Jan 1, 1882 in EW Goff Residence, Green Co, KY. George was born in
_____-_____-1859 in Green Co, KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
William Louis"Texas" GOFF [91] was born on Jan 6, 1865 in Greensburg, Green, Kentucky, USA, died on
Oct 5, 1925 in Rogers, Bell, Texas, USA at age 60, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. He was usually called Texas.
Texas married Adella Mary SMITH [3007] [MRIN: 1295], daughter of John N SMITH [4071] and
Unknown, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Adella was born in _____-_____-
1882 in Mississippi, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had four children: Mary E, Rosie B,
Celia Eloise, and Willie Ola.
Mary E GOFF [3008] was born about _____-_____-1908 in Texas, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Rosie B GOFF [3009] was born in _____-_____-1912 in Texas, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Celia Eloise GOFF [3010] was born in _____-_____-1914 in Texas, died on Feb 18, 1979 in __________,
__________, __________ at age 65, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Willie Ola GOFF [3011] was born in _____-_____-1919 in Texas, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
James Robert GOFF [286] was born on Apr 12, 1867 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Viola Katherine "Kattie" GOFF [287] was born on Jan 3, 1870 in Greensburg, Green, Kentucky, USA, died
on Oct 15, 1953 in Hardyville, Hart, Kentucky, USA at age 83, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________. She was usually called Kattie.
Kattie married W Frank CARTER [2848] [MRIN: 1237], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1889 in __________, __________, __________. W was born in
Dec-_____-1869 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
They had four children: Annie F, Malinda Bell, Joseph E, and Eddie Lee.
Annie F CARTER [2850] was born in May-_____-1890 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Malinda Bell CARTER [2851] was born in May-_____-1892 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Joseph E CARTER [2852] was born in Nov-_____-1893 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Eddie Lee CARTER [2853] was born in May-_____-1898 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Descendants of GOFFE
21 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
William Leonard (Lenn) GOFF [156] was born on Feb 10, 1842 in Green, Kentucky, USA, died on Apr 13,
1924 in Green, Kentucky, USA at age 82, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
William married B. Ernestine CHAUDOIN [2924] [MRIN: 1256], daughter of ____________
____________ and ____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________. B. was born on Jan 9, 1855 in __________, __________, __________, died on Apr 13, 1924 in
__________, __________, __________ at age 69, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
James Thomas GOFF [157] was born on Oct 27, 1844 in Adair County, Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Jesse Miles GOFF [2894] was born on Sep 7, 1837 in Summersville, Green, Kentucky, USA, died on Jul 9,
1916 in Summersville, Green, Kentucky, USA at age 78, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
General Notes: Looking like a couple sets of twins were born here. Following the Goff tradition of using middle
names instead of first names makes this research difficult.
Kentucky 1910 Miracode Index
about Jesse M Goff
Name: Jesse M Goff
Relatives: Wife Mattie L 61, Kentucky
1 non-relative
Enumeration District: 0039
Visit: 0189
Color: W
Jesse married Martha "Mattie" L. MONTGOMERY [3028] [MRIN: 1298], daughter of James
MONTGOMERY [3090] and Narcissa Sis GUMM [3091], in _____-_____-1867 in Green Co, KY ? first
child born 1865. Mattie was born on Jul 24, 1849 in Summersville, Green, Kentucky, USA, died on Jun 16,
1910 in Summersville, Green, Kentucky, USA at age 60, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. She was usually called Mattie. They had 12 children: James B, William B.
"Willie," David Lee, Otis L. (Oder), Minnie B., Nancy S, Nancy F., Ellis C., Malinda N, Icyphine Davidson
(Isophene), Etha W. (Effie)(Ella), and Steven Owen.
James B GOFF [3033] was born on Nov 14, 1865 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
William B. "Willie" GOFF [3034] was born on Nov 14, 1865 in Greensburg, Green, Kentucky, USA, died on
Aug 1, 1942 in Louisville, Jefferson, Kentucky, USA at age 76, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________. He was usually called Willie.
Willie married Ella (Luella) CLARK [3052] [MRIN: 1300], daughter of Edward Belvey CLARK [3072]
and Mary Adeline Moulton ____________ [3073], on Feb 1, 1894 in Green Co, KY. Ella was born on Nov
9, 1872 in __________, __________, __________, died on Aug 30, 1953 in Jefferson, Kentucky at age 80, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had nine children: Bessie
Lora, William J Bryant, Malcolm e., Leslie Elmer, Curtis "Curlie" Albert, Guy Homer, Paul, Richard, and
Mary.
Descendants of GOFFE
22 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Bessie Lora GOFF [3053] was born in _____-_____-1896 in __________, __________, __________, died in
_____-_____-1987 in __________, __________, __________ at age 91, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Bessie married someone Thomas CHASTAIN [3063] [MRIN: 1302], son of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Thomas
was born in _____-_____-1878 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
William J Bryant GOFF [3054] was born in _____-_____-1897 in __________, __________, __________,
died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
William married Janie ____________ [3408] [MRIN: 1427], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Janie was born
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Malcolm e. GOFF [3055] was born on Aug 9, 1899 in __________, __________, __________, died on Dec 21,
1974 in __________, __________, __________ at age 75, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Leslie Elmer GOFF [3056] was born in _____-_____-1902 in __________, __________, __________, died in
_____-_____-1991 in __________, __________, __________ at age 89, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Curtis "Curlie" Albert GOFF [3057] was born in _____-_____-1905 in __________, __________,
__________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. He was usually called Curlie.
Guy Homer GOFF [3058] was born on Apr 16, 1906 in __________, __________, __________, died on Sep
16, 1994 in __________, __________, __________ at age 88, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Guy married Lillie ____________ [3068] [MRIN: 1305], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Lillie was born
about _____-_____-1910 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
They had one daughter: Lois.
Lois GOFF [3069] was born about _____-_____-1928 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Paul GOFF [3059] was born on Oct 20, 1909 in __________, __________, __________, died on Jul 11, 1986
in __________, __________, __________ at age 76, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Richard GOFF [3060] was born in _____-_____-1912 in __________, __________, __________, died in
_____-_____-1971 in __________, __________, __________ at age 59, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
Mary GOFF [3061] was born in _____-_____-1916 in __________, __________, __________, died in _____-
_____-1988 in __________, __________, __________ at age 72, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
David Lee GOFF [3035] was born on Apr 21, 1871 in Green Co, KY, died on Aug 12, 1946 in Taylor,
Descendants of GOFFE
23 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Kentucky, USA at age 75, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
David married Ella D. ____________ [3043] [MRIN: 1299], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Ella was born
about _____-_____-1876 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
They had eight children: Cecil, Mattie E., Mary N., Mamie W., Jessie T. or C., Beatrice, Lucja or Ivy, and
Marie Evinell.
Cecil GOFF [3044] was born about _____-_____-1912 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Mattie E. GOFF [3045] was born about _____-_____-1897 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Mary N. GOFF [3046] was born about _____-_____-1898 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Mamie W. GOFF [3047] was born about _____-_____-1898 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Jessie T. or C. GOFF [3048] was born in _____-_____-1902 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Beatrice GOFF [3049] was born about _____-_____-1905 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Lucja or Ivy GOFF [3050] was born in _____-_____-1907 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Marie Evinell GOFF [3051] was born in _____-_____-1909 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Otis L. (Oder) GOFF [3036] was born in _____-_____-1874 in Green Co, KY, died on Dec 20, 1923 in Taylor,
Kentucky, USA at age 49, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Minnie B. GOFF [3037] was born in _____-_____-1875 in Green Co, KY, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Nancy S GOFF [3038] was born in _____-_____-1877 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Nancy F. GOFF [3039] was born in _____-_____-1877 in Green Co, KY, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Ellis C. GOFF [3040] was born in _____-_____-1879 in Green Co, KY, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Ellis married Lillian V ____________ [3066] [MRIN: 1304], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Lillian was
born in _____-_____-1890 in Texas, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had one son: Earl E.
Descendants of GOFFE
24 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Earl E GOFF [3067]
Malinda N GOFF [3029] was born on Dec 10, 1881 in Green Co, KY, died on Jul 13, 1968 in Green Co, KY at
age 86, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Icyphine Davidson (Isophene) GOFF [3030] was born on Aug 7, 1884 in Green Co, KY, died on Oct 31, 1959
in Bowling Green, Warren, Kentucky, USA at age 75, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Etha W. (Effie)(Ella) GOFF [3031] was born in Feb-_____-1887 in Green Co, KY, died on Aug 28, 1961 in
Green Co, KY at age 74, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Steven Owen GOFF [3032] was born on Mar 21, 1889 in Green Co, KY, died on Aug 28, 1961 in Green Co,
KY at age 72, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Steven married Una L. ____________ [3407] [MRIN: 1426], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. Una was born
in _____-_____-1897 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Polly Ann GOFF [3041] was born on Feb 1, 1829 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Sarah Emily GOFF [3042] was born on Jun 22, 1839 in Green County, Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
John Rogers GOFF [2934] was born on Mar 26, 1812 in Green Co., KY, died on Jun 2, 1890 in Logan County,
IL at age 78, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Carlysle Cem. near Cornland, Logan Co. IL, USA.
John married Sarah "Sally" M. EDWARDS [2937] [MRIN: 1259], daughter of Alexander EDWARDS
[333] and Melissa Mildred "Milly" MOORE [335], on Nov 26, 1835 in Mt Tabor Bapt Church, Barren Co.,
KY. Sally was born on Sep 1, 1816 in Barren Co., KY, died on Jan 29, 1885 in Logan County, IL at age 68, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in Carlysle Cem. near Cornland, Logan Co. IL, USA. She was usually called
Sally. They had one son: John.
John GOFF [3224] was born in _____-_____-1845 in Illinois, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Elijah Whitten GOFF [2935] was born in _____-_____-1816 in canmer, hart county, KY, USA, died in _____-
_____-1842 in Hart Co., KY at age 26, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
General Notes: 1850 Larue County Census
#167 EW Goff 26 Cooper Born in Kentucky
Martha W. 22 Born in Virginia
William Epson 23 Born in Tennessee
John W. Goff 2 Born in KY
J S T 1 Born in KY
Larue County Deeds
1853 Elijah W. and Martha W. Goff Deed Book 3, page 175
Elijah married Martha Williams SHELTON [2952] [MRIN: 1262], daughter of ____________
____________ and ____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1843 in __________, __________,
__________. Martha was born in _____-_____-1828 in Virgina, USA, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Descendants of GOFFE
25 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
They had five children: John W, James S T, Mary E, Joe Ann, and Alice N.
John W GOFF [2953] was born on Jul 3, 1843 in Kentucky, USA, died on Apr 1, 1883 in __________,
__________, __________ at age 39, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Ash Bush Miller Cem. KY.
James S T GOFF [2954] was born in _____-_____-1849 in Kentucky, USA, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Mary E GOFF [3215] was born in _____-_____-1851 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Joe Ann GOFF [3216] was born in _____-_____-1861 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Alice N GOFF [3217] was born in _____-_____-1863 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Leonard GOFF [2925] was born on Oct 16, 1817 in Green Co., KY, died on Jul 13, 1853 in KY at age 35, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in Gilead Methodist Cemetery, KY.
General Notes: KY historical Register lists his parents as Elijah and Emily Goff. His tombstone dates death
07/13/1852
Leonard married Mary Ann ____________ [2964] [MRIN: 1272], daughter of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1843 in __________, __________, __________. Mary was
born in _____-_____-1813 in __________, __________, __________, died in _____-_____-1848 in
__________, __________, __________ at age 35, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
Jamima/Jemina Whitten GOFF [2936] was born in _____-_____-1819 in __________, __________,
__________, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-
_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Jamima/Jemina married William N. ALKIRE [2966] [MRIN: 1274], son of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1859 in Menard County, IL. William was born in _____-_____-
1801 in Kentucky, died _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________, and was buried _____-
Jamima/Jemina married someone ____________ CREEL [2968] [MRIN: 1276], son of ____________
____________ and ____________ ____________.
Elijah next married Emily?Mary PUCKETT [2941] [MRIN: 1260], daughter of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________.
Ann GOFF [2931] was born in _____-_____-1786 in Virginia, died _____-_____-_____ in hart county,
Kentuck on Family farm near Davis Bend, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Green Co, KY.
Ann married George Washington DAVIS Jr [2957] [MRIN: 1265], son of ____________ ____________ and
Leonard GOFF [2939] was born in _____-_____-1787 in Virgina, died in _____-_____-1861 in __________,
__________, __________ at age 74, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
Leonard married Elizabeth "Betsy" SKAGGS [2958] [MRIN: 1266], daughter of ____________
____________ and ____________ ____________.
Descendants of GOFFE
26 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
William GOFF Jr [2926] was born about _____-_____-1790 in VA or KY, died in _____-_____-1827 in IL
about age 37, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Goff/Trent Burying Ground Near New Salem.
General Notes: Query from Kentucky Ancestors, mentions that William Goff that married Sally Trent in 1813 in
Green County, KY moved to Logan County, Illinois. 1820 Census of Green County lists William Goff as coming
from Williamson County, Tennessee. On a private collection marriage record he is the Groom listed as a "son of
William"
William married Sally TRENT [2927] [MRIN: 1257], daughter of Williamson TRENT [2928] and
Nancy POTTER [2993], on Jun 30, 1813 in KY. Sally was born on Oct 10, 1792 in VA, died in _____-_____-
1826 in Sangamon Co., IL at age 34, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________. They had five children: Caroline, Eli Murray, Paulina Ann, William, and James L.
Caroline GOFF [2994] was born in _____-_____-1814 in Green Co, KY, died in _____-_____-1838 in
Sangamon Co., IL at age 24, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Goff/Trent Burying Ground Near New
Salem.
Caroline married Cason PEMBERTON [2995] [MRIN: 1288], son of ____________ ____________ and
Eli Murray GOFF [2996] was born on Sep 9, 1817 in Green Co, KY, died on Mar 12, 1904 in Petersburg,
Menard Co. IL at age 86, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Sugar Grove Cem, Greenview, Menard Co. IL.
Eli married Sina Greenwood CLARK [2997] [MRIN: 1289], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Eli next married Elizabeth Irene IRWIN [2998] [MRIN: 1290], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Paulina Ann GOFF [2999] was born on Jul 26, 1819 in Green Co, KY, died in _____-_____-1848 in Menard
County, IL at age 29, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Paulina married William HORNBUCKLE [3000] [MRIN: 1291], son of ____________ ____________ and
William GOFF III [3001] was born on Aug 19, 1822 in Green Co, KY, died on Jan 14, 1914 in Athens, Menard
Co, IL at age 91, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Sugar Grove Cem, Greenview, Menard Co. IL.
William married Mary Decker WESTFALL [3002] [MRIN: 1292], daughter of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________.
James L GOFF [3003] was born on Apr 10, 1825 in Green Co, KY, died in _____-_____-1854 in Menard
County, IL at age 29, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Goff/Trent Burying Ground Near New Salem.
James married Sara Jane WESTFALL [3004] [MRIN: 1293], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
William next married Amy TRENT [2969] [MRIN: 1277], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Rebecca "Betsy" GOFF [2942] was born in _____-_____-1794 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________. She was usually called Betsy.
Betsy married Andrew DUNCAN [2959] [MRIN: 1267], son of ____________ ____________ and
Edward GOFF [2940] was born about _____-_____-1798 in KY, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
General Notes: Married by William Downs. Surety Charles A. Middleton, 04/01/1815
Descendants of GOFFE
27 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
1850 Larue County Census
#137 Edward Goff 57 Farmer Born in KY
Elizabeth 54 Housekeeping Born in KY
Sara 22 Born in KY
Larue County Deeds 1859 Edward and Elizabeth Goff Deed Book 4, page 348
Edward married Elizabeth THURMAN [2945] [MRIN: 1261], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________. They had one daughter: Sarah.
Sarah GOFF [2951] was born in _____-_____-1822 in Kentucky, USA, died _____-_____-_____ in
__________.
Sarah married Nathaniel W. BROWN [2955] [MRIN: 1263], son of N R BROWN [2956] and Unknown.
James R. GOFF [2943] was born in _____-_____-1804 in Green Co., KY, died in _____-_____-1858 in Green
Co, KY at age 54, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
General Notes: Hart County, KY Census, 1830 Roll 37 Page 212
Lewis Goff -one male- 20-30 one female 15-20
James married Martha COOK [2970] [MRIN: 1278], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Lewis Edward GOFF [2944] was born in _____-_____-1810 in Green County, Kentucky, died before Dec-
_____-1846 in Green Co, KY, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Green Co, KY.
Lewis married Lucy LEWIS [2960] [MRIN: 1268], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
Lucy GOFF [2962] was born in _____-_____-1798 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-
__________, __________.
Lucy married James TRENT [2963] [MRIN: 1270], son of ____________ ____________ and ____________
____________.
Ambrose GOFF [4064] was born in _____-_____-1766 in Bedford, Virginia, USA, died in Dec-_____-1854 in
Bledsoe, Tennessee, USA at age 88, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
General Notes:
War of 1812 Service Records
Name: Ambrose Goff
COMPANY: 5 REG'T (BOOTH'S) EAST TENNESSEE MILITIA.
Rank - Induction: PRIVATE
Rank - Discharge: PRIVATE
Roll Box: 82
Roll Exct: 602
Ambrose married Martha RICHARDS [4065] [MRIN: 1710], daughter of ____________ ____________
and ____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1797 in __________, __________, __________. Martha
was born in _____-_____-1766 in __________, __________, __________, died _____-_____-_____ in
Bledsoe, Tennessee, USA, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Margaret GOFF [2946]
Joseph GOFF [2947]
Descendants of GOFFE
28 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Elizabeth GOFF [2948]
Ambrose GOFF [2949]
Martha GOFF [2950]
John GOFF [4066] was born in _____-_____-1740 in Bedford County, Amherst, VA, died on Mar 31, 1831 in
Bedford County, Amherst, VA at age 91, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
General Notes:
about John Goff
Name: John Goff
Birth Date: 1750
Birthplace: Virginia
Volume: 64
Page Number: 100
Reference: Heads of Fams. at the first U.S. census. Va. By U.S. Bureau of the Census. Washington, 1908.
(189p.): 109
Margaret "Mary" GOFF/GOFFE [310] was born about _____-_____-1687 in Richmond, VA, died about
_____-_____-1719 in Richmond, VA about age 32, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________. She was usually called Mary.
General Notes: Either Margaret’s nickname was “Mary” or Isaac Sr. married his first wife’s sister, Mary Goffe.
Mary Goffe Arnold signed her will in King George County, VA on March 4, 1775. Her husband was already
dead. Executors of the will are friends John Thornby Sr. and Baldwin BERRY. The Goffe family was a neighbor
of Anthony Arnold in New Kent Co., VA.
SOURCE: THE ARNOLD FAMILY ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTH
Fall Quarterly - Volume II - 1971 - 1972 - Number 1
Mary Arnold of Hanover Parish. Will Book #1 page 349. Written 4 March 1775.
Daughter - Elizabeth "a lot of land lying on Maple Branch of adjoining the land of Mr. Francis Conway"
Daughter - Jemimah and "her heirs forever a lot of land includig the land where Samuel Wharton now lives after
the death of my daughter Dinah Wharton"
Rest equally divided between my daughters Elizabeth and Jemimah except Jemimah is to pay Elizabeth 10 £.
1 shilling left to all the rest of the children.
Signed by mark.
Witnesses: Horatio Dade, Mary Dade, Elizabeth Alexander, Behethland Dade
Date proved, probated and recorded - 1775.
End of 'THE ARNOLD FAMILY ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTH" notes
Thomas Goff( Goss) Deeded 40 acres to Isaac Arnold and Wife Margaret Goff being in the Parish of St Mary's ,
in Richmond County, VA. D B 4 pg 126 February 28 1707, Rochmond County ,VA
Mary married Isaac Senior ARNOLD [309] [MRIN: 125], son of Thomas ARNOLD I [311] and
Grace DOYLE [312], on May 5, 1707 in St. Mary's Parish, Richmond, Virginia. Isaac was born about
_____-_____-1685 in Old Rappahanock County, Hanover Parish, Virginia, died on May 4, 1758 in King George
County, Colony of Virginia about age 73, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________. They had one son: Thomas.
General Notes: Isaac Arnold, [first] child of Thomas and Grace Arnold, was born in Old Rappahannock
County circa 1685 and married in Richmond County to Margaret Goffe in 1707. He died in 1758 in King
George County, Virginia. Apparently he led a very active life; was prominent in many County Councils and
Descendants of GOFFE
29 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
was Vestryman of the Hanover Parish Church for many years. He was appointed Church Warden in 1743. His
wife, Margaret Goffe, presumably died about 1719, as he is recorded selling land about that date which deed his
wife did not sign. This couple had nine children. In his will he mentions his second wife, Mary. This later
marriage produced four more children.
Note that since Richmond County, VA was formed in 1692 from Old Rappahannock County, Isaac did not
necessarily move before getting married in 1707. Likewise in 1729, part of Richmond County became King
George County, thirty-eight years before Isaac died. In Isaac Arnold's will, dated Sept. 15 1757, he states he is
from Parish of Hanover in King George County, VA. He mentions Isaac as eldest son, Thomas Goff,
grandfather of his son Isaac, daughter Dianah Wharton and Samuel Wharton her now husband, son William
Arnold, son Benjamin Arnold, youngest son Mark Arnold, daughter Sarah Moran, daughter Isabell Rogers,
daughter Elizabeth Arnold, daughter Mary Arnold and daughter Susanna Arnold.
Provided by Newman Arnold Hall
Children
Sarah ARNOLD
Susanna ARNOLD
Jemimah ARNOLD
Mary ARNOLD
Elizabeth ARNOLD
Dianah ARNOLD
Isabell ARNOLD
Name: Isaac ARNOLD, JR.Born: 1708 at: Richmond County, Virginia Married: 1730 at: Died: at: Spouses:
Sarah (--?--)
Thomas ARNOLD, III "????" Born: 1710 at: Hanover Parish, Richmond Co., Va. Married: BEF. 30 AUG
1727 at: King George Co., Va Died: ABT. 1743 at: King George Co., Va. Spouses: Mary (--?--)
James ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1712
William ARNOLD Born: 1714
Benjamin ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1716
SOURCE: THE ARNOLD FAMILY ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTH
Volume IV - Spring and Summer - Numbers 3 and 4 - 1974
Isaac Arnold I, the fourth and last child of Thomas and Grace Arnold, was born in Old Rappahannock County
circa 1685 and married in Richmond County to Margaret Goffe in 1707. He died in 1758 in King George
County, Virginia. Apparently he led a very active life; was prominent in many County Councils and was
Vestryman of the Hanover Parish Church for many years. He was appointed Church Warden in 1743. He made
an effort once or twice to establish his land in his blood line by creating an "entail" on his land, but in each case
after his death the heirs broke the agreement and sold the land. His wife, Margaret Goffe, presumably died
about 1719, as he is recorded selling land about that date which deed his wife did not sign. This couple had nine
children. In his will he mentions his second wife, Mary. This later marriage produced four more children.
Known Children - Arnold Ancestors
Isaac Arnold I and Margaret Goffe:
Isaac Jr, married Sarah __________
Thomas married Mary_________
James married Sarah __________
William married Lydia Bell
Benjamin married Bathsheba Bell
Mark (to Kentucky 1780)
Dinah married Samuel Wharton
Isabel married ________ Rogers
Sarah married ________ Moran,
Isaac Arnold I by second wife, Mary:
Elizabeth married William Boon
Mary
Jemima
Susanna married _________ Goode
Notes on Known Children
Descendants of GOFFE
30 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
The children of Issac Arnold I and Margaret Goffe were also born on this same land bat after the new county of
Richmond was formed and the youngest ones in the still later formed county of King George. Most of these
children moved on westward with the opening up of new frontiers. The new frontiers of these early days only
moved about one or two hundred miles for a generation, and only explorers went into the unknown beyond.
Isaac II, the oldest son, as well as William and Benjamin, moved southwest into Spotsylvania County and
James into Fauquier County. One son, Mark, was in Kentucky as early as 1780 before the close of the
Revolutionary War. Some of the daughters married local county men but most of them moved on with their
husbands.
End of "THE ARNOLD FAMILY ASSOCIATION OF THE SOUTH" notes
Will for Isaac Arnold
September 15, 1757
Source: King George County, Virginia, Will Book 1, p. 89
In the name of God Amen. Septembr the 15th 1757.
I, Isaac Arnold of the Parish of Hanover in King George County, being sick and weak at this time in body but
of good & perfect sense & memory do make this my last will in the manner & form following.
First I bequeath my soul & spirit into the hands of Almighty God by whom of his mercy & only ____ grace
through the death & merits of my Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ I set the sole & only hope of my salvation. My
body I commit to the earth to be buryed as my ____ hereafter named shall think fit.
My will is that my eldest son Isaac Arnold do immediately enter into possession of all that tract or parcel of
land whereon I formerly did live & inhabit situate in the Parish of Hanover and bounded with the land of Capt.
Joseph Murdock & the land of Moses Pittman & others & was given to the sd. Isaac Arnold my sd. son by
Thomas Goff grand-father to the sd. Issac Arnold & that the sd. Isaac & his heirs hold & enjoy the sd. land
forever.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my sd. eldest son Isaac Arnold one shilling sterling as all his part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Dianah Wharton and Samuel Wharton her now husband all that
piece or parcel of land whereon they now live during the whole term of the sd. Dianah her life to live thereon &
no further nor otherwise which land is bounded with the road which leads from Duff's Ordinary to King George
Courthouse beginning at a marked red oak standing in Capt. Joseph Strother's line on or near the said road
thence with the sd. road ____ dividing this land from some other of my land crossing a branch to the line of the
land or Mr. John Moor thence with the line of the sd. Moor to three red oaks ____ to this land & in the line of
the land of the sd. Strothers thence with the sd. Strother's line to the first station the sd. Samuel not to sell nor
waste any timber from ____ the sd. land & that in case the sd. Samuel & Dianah should remove from the sd.
land to any other place to live & inhabit before the death of the sd. Dianah the sd. land immediately to return to
my wife & her heirs & assigns forever.
Item I give & bequeath unto my son William Arnold one shilling sterling as his part of my estate.
Item I give & bequeath unto my son Benjamin Arnold one shilling sterling as his part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my youngest son Mark Arnold one shilling sterling as his part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Sarah Moran one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Isabell Rogers one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth Arnold one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Mary Arnold one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Jemima Arnold one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give & bequeath unto my daughter Susanna Arnold one shilling sterling as her part of my estate.
Item I do give and bequeath unto my well beloved wife Mary Arnold my now dwelling, house & plantation
together also with all the land I now have or lay any claim unto also with that other piece or parcel after my
daughter Dianah's death which is only to the sd. Dianah for her life all which aforesaid land I do hereby give
unto my sd. wife & her heirs & assigns forever & I do so give the premises unto my sd. wife that she my sd.
wife may have full power & lawful authority may have full power & lawful authority to lease or sell any part
or the whole of the aforesaid land in a full & ample manner & to make a good right thereto as I might or could
do were I alive to sell the same myself.
Item I do also give unto my sd. wife all & every part of my personal estate, beds & furniture, household goods
of every kind together with all my whole stock of horses, mares, cattle, sheep, hogs with every other thing that
belongs to me on or about the sd. plantation.
And my will is that my youngest son Mark Arnold be ____ ____ all services due to me who was eighteen
years old the twenty sixth day of July last.
Item And I do make & appoint my loving wife Mary my whole & sole executrix of this my last will revoking &
Descendants of GOFFE
31 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
____ all former & other wills by me heretofore satisfying & declaring this & no other to be my last will &
testament & in confirmation thereof I have hereunto set my hand & ____ my seal this thirtieth day of
September in the year of our Lord 1737 - Sealed & delivered in presence of - I desire thay my estate may not be
brought to an appraisement.
Isaac Arnold
Robt. Walker
Robt. Walker Junr
Wm. ____
At a court held for King George County the 4th day of May 1738.
The written last will & testament of Isaac Arnold deceas'd was presented into court by Mary Arnold the
executrix therein named who made oath thereto according to law & the same being further proved by the oaths
of two of the witnesses thereto subscribed was ordered to be recorded & is truly recorded.
Lease - John Doyle Jr. to Isaac Arnold Sr.
July 28, 1732
SOURCE: King George County, Virginia, Deed Book 1-A, p. 214-215
This indenture, made the twenty eight day of July in the fifth year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord George
the Second of Great Britain and Ireland, King Defender of the Faith, and in the year of our Lord God one
thousand seven hundred thirty & two, between John Doyle of North Carolina of the one part and Isaac Arnold
Senr. of the parish of Hanover in King George County within the Dominion of Virginia of the other.
Witnesseth that the sd. John Doyle, for and in consideration of the sum of five shillings current money of
Virginia, to him in hand paid by the said Isaac Arnold at and before the ensealing and delivery of these presents,
the receipt whereof the said John Doyle doth acknowledge, hath bargained and sold and by these presents doth
bargain & sell unto the said Isaac Arnold a certain tract or dividend of land situate, lying and being in the parish
of Hanover in King George, containing two hundred twenty and six acres, granted by the proprietors of the
Northern Neck of Virginia unto John Doyle Senr., late of the county of Richmond, decsd., father to this said
John Doyle, party of these presents, as may and will appear by the said grant or pattent for the same bearing
date the twenty third day of January 1716/7, which land aforesaid being bounded as followeth.
Beginning at three red oakes standing in the fork of a small branch of Gengoteague Creek, being corner to a
patent of land formerly granted to Prosser and Chettwood, thence south forty degrees east crossing a branch
sixteen poles to a ____ white oak in the line of John Berry, thence with the same south twenty degrees east one
hundred and sixty three poles to another white oak standing by Thomas Arnold's clear'd ground, being corner
tree to the said Arnold & Berry, thence crossing the old field or clear ground south seventy one degrees east
near the head of a valley, thence east thirty poles to a large white oak standing in a swamp being another corner
tree to the said Thomas Arnold, thence down the said swamp south forth degrees west twenty poles south
seven degrees east fifty two poles then leaving the swamp and running south sixty eight degrees west twenty
poles south eighty four degrees west fifty four poles to Cornelius Reynolds, his line a corner white oak, thence
with the same south four degrees west two hundred sixty & six poles to a white oak, thence leaving the said line
and running fifty four poles west to the line of Prosser and Chettwood, thence with the same to the first
station.
Together with all houses, fences, gardens, orchards, woods and underwoods, ways, water and watercourses,
priviledges and comodities to the land & premises aforesaid belonging or in any wise appertaining, and the
reversion and reversions, remainder and remainders, rents, issues and profitts thereof, with all deeds, indents
and writings whatsoever touching or concerning the same and all the estate, right, title, interest, benefit,
property, possession, claim and demands whatsoever of him, the said John Doyle, of, in and to the same, to
have and to hold all and singular the premises aforesaid and every part and parcell thereof unto the said Isaac
Arnold, his heirs & assigns, from the day of the date hereof, for and during and unto the full end and term of
one whole year thence next ensuing the date hereof, and fully to be compleate and ended yeilding therefore &
paying the rent of one peppercorn feast day of St. Michael the Archangel if the same shall be lawfully
demanded to the end, intent and purpose that by virtue of these presents and of the statute for transferring uses
into possession, the said Isaac Arnold may be in the actual and sole possession of premises aforesaid and may
be thereby the better enabled to accept, receive and take a grant release or any other conveyance of the freehold
reversion and inheritance to him and his heirs forever.
In witness whereof, the partys aforesaid have either to other to these presents set their hands and seales the
day, month and year above written.
John Doyle
Sealed and delivered in the presents of us -
Descendants of GOFFE
32 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas Pittman
Thomas Goff
John Hawkins (by his mark)
John Willis
At a court held for King George County the 4 August Anno. Dom. 1732.
This lease from John Doyle to Isaac Arnold Senr. was presented into court by the said Isaac and proved by the
oath of Thomas Pittman, Thomas Goff, John Hawkins and John Willis and on the motion of the said Isaac is
admitted to record.
Release - John Doyle Jr. to Isaac Arnold Sr.
July 29, 1732
SOURCE: King George County, Virginia, Deed Book 1-A, p. 215-216
This indenture, made the twenty ninth day of July in the fifth year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord George
the Second of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King Defender of the Faith &c., and in the year of our Lord
God one thousand seven hundred thirty and two, between John Doyle of North Carolina of the one part and
Isaac Arnold of the parish of Hanover in King George County within the Dominion of Virginia of the other
part.
Witnesseth that the said John Doyle, for and in consideration of the sum of 22 pounds 10 shillings current
money of Virginia, to him in hand paid by the said Isaac Arnold, at and before the ensealing and delivery of
these presents, the receipt whereof and of every part and parcell he the said John Doyle doth hereby confess
and acknowledge, and himself therewith fully contented, satisfied and paid and thereof do acquit and forever
discharge the said Isaac Arnold, his heirs, executors, administrators and every of them by these presents, as also
for severall other good causes and considerations, him the said John Doyle thereunto at this time especially
moving, hath granted, bargained, sold, aliened, remised, released and confirmed and in and by these presents
doth fully, freely, clearly and absolutely grant, bargain, sell, alien, remise, release and forever confirm unto the
said Isaac Arnold and his heirs, the said Isaac Arnold being in actual possession of all and singular the premises
hereafter mentioned and expressed by virtue of a lease thereof made, bearing date the day before the date of
these presents and of the statute for transferring uses into possession, a certain tract or dividend of land,
containing two hundred twenty and six acres, granted by the proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia unto
John Doyle Senr., late of the County of Richmond, deceas'd father to this said John Doyle, party to these
presents, as may and apear by the said grant or patent for the same, bearing date the twenty third day of
January 1716/7, all which land is situate, lying and being in the aforesaid Parish of Hanover in King George
County and bounded as followeth.
Beginning at three red oakes, standing in the fork of one of the small western branches of Gengoteague Creek,
being corner to a patent of land formerly granted to Prosser and Chettwood, thence south forty degrees east,
crossing a branch sixteen pole to a ____ white oak in the line of John Berry, thence with the same south twenty
degrees east one hundred and sixty three poles to another white oak standing by Thomas Arnold's Senr.'s
cleared ground being corner tree to the said Arnold and Berry, thence crossing the old field or clear'd south
seventy one degrees east eighty poles near the head of a valley, thence east thirty poles to a large white oak
standing in a swamp being another corner to the said Thomas Arnold, thence down the said swamp south forty
degrees west twenty poles south seven degrees east fifty two poles then leaving the swamp and running south
sixty eight degrees west twenty poles south eighty four degrees west fifty four poles to Cornelius Reynolds
former corner tree being a white oak, then leaving the said line and running west fifty four poles to the line of
Prosser and Chettwood, thence with the same to the first station.
With all houses, fences, building, gardens, orchards, woods and underwoods, ways, water and watercourses,
priviledges and comodities whatsoever to the said land and premises aforesaid, belonging or in any wise
appertaining and the reversion and reversions, remainder & remainders, rents, issues and profits thereof, with
all deeds, indents and writings whatsoever touching or concerning the same and all the estate, right, title,
interest, benifit, property, possession, claim and demands whatsoever of him, the said John Doyle, of, in and to
the same to have and to hold all and singular the premises aforesaid free and clear, freed and cleared of and from
all former and other bargains, sales, leases, judgments, rents, dowers and titles of dowers unto the said Isaac
Arnold and his heirs and assigns forever to the only sole proper use, benifit and behoof of him the said Isaac
Arnold, his heirs and assigns forever and to and for none other use, intent or purpose whatsoever and the
aforesaid two hundred twenty & six acres of land the said John Doyle doth fully warrant and every part and
parcell thereof unto the said Isaac Arnold and his heirs forever as aforesaid against him the said John Doyle, his
heirs, executors, administrators and all manner of persons whatsoever claiming from, by or under him, the said
John Doyle, his heirs, &c., and that the said John Doyle shall and will at the motion or request of the said Isaac
Descendants of GOFFE
33 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Arnold, his heirs, &c., acknowledge these presents in the open court of King George County to the end the
same may be recorded and that the said John Doyle, his heirs, &c., shall and will at all times hereafter make,
doe, suffer & execute or cause to be made, done, suffered and executed all and every such act and acts, thing &
things, device & devices, conveyances and assurance in the law whatsoever for the further better & more
perfect assureing, suremaking and establishing the above bargained and sold land unto Isaac Arnold & his heirs
forever.
In witness whereof, the parties aforesaid have either to other to these presents set their hand and seales the
day, month & year above written.
John Doyle
Sealed & delivered in presents of -
Thomas Pittman
Thomas Goff
John Willis
At a court held for King George County the 4th August Anno. Dom. 1732.
This release from John Doyle to Isaac Arnold Senr. was presented into court by the said Isaac and proved by
the oath of Thomas Pittman, Thomas Goff, John Hawkins and John Willis and on the motion of the said Isaac
is admitted to record.
Bond - John Doyle Jr. to Isaac Arnold Sr.
July 29, 1732
SOURCE: King George County, Virginia, Deed Book 1-A, p. 216-217
Know all men by these presents that I, John Doyle of North Carolina, am holden and by these presents doe
stand firmly bound unto Isaac Arnold of Hanover Parish in King George County, his heirs, executors,
administrators and every of them in the just and full sum of forty and five pounds current money of Virginia
unto the which payment well and truly to be made, I doe bind myself, my heirs, executors and every of us
firmly by these presents, sealed with my seale and dated this 29th day of July 1732.
The condition of the above written obligation is such that whereas the ____ bound on John Doyle for the
consideration of twenty & two pounds ten shillings current money as aforesaid, paid to him in hand by the said
Isaac Arnold before the ensealing of these presents, hath bargained, sold and lawfully conveyed unto the said
Isaac Arnold a certain tract or dividend of land containing two hundred and twenty acres situate, lying and being
in King George County on the western small branches of Gengotegue Creek as in and by one deed of lease and
release for the same land, duely executes under the hand and seale of the said John Doyle, bearing date the 28th
and 29th days of July in the year of our Lord 1732.
Now if the said John Doyle, his heirs, &c., shall from time to time and at all times forever hereafter observe,
perform, fulfill and keep all and every the articles, provisions and agreements contained in the said deeds and
also defend the said land unto the said Isaac Arnold and his heirs against the claim or claims of the said John
Doyle, his heirs, executors, administrators and all persons whatsoever claiming from, by or under him, the said
John Doyle, and also acknowledge or cause to be acknowledged the said deeds when ____ requested by the said
Isaac Arnold in the open court of King George County, then this present obligation to be voide and of none
effect, otherwise to remaine in full force, power and virtue.
John Doyle
Signed, sealed and delivered in presents of -
Thomas Pittman
Thomas Goff
John Willis
At a court held for King George County the 4th August Anno. Dom. 1732.
This bond from John Doyle to Isaac Arnold Senr. was presented into court by the said Isaac and proved by the
oath of Thomas Pittman, Thomas Goff, John Hawkins and John Willis and on the motion of the said Isaac is
admitted to record.
Gift - Land from Thomas Goffe to Isaac Arnold Sr.
February 28, 1707
SOURCE: Richmond County, Virginia, Deed Book 4, p. 126-127a
This indenture, made the eight and twentyeth day of Feb. in the fifth yeare of the reigne of our Sovereigne Lady
Anne, by the grace of God, of England, Scottland, France and Ireland, queene defender of the faith &c., and in
the yeare of our Lord God one thousand seven hundred and seven, between Thomas Goffe of the Parish of St.
Descendants of GOFFE
34 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Maryes in the County of Richmond within the Dominion of Virginia planter of the one part, and Isaac Arnold
of the parish and county aforesd. within the Dominion of Virginia planter of the other part.
Witnesseth that the said Thomas Goffe as well for and in consideration of a marryage already held and
solemnized betweene him the said Isaac Arnold, party to these presents, and Margarett his now wife, daughter
of the aforesaid Thomas Goffe, and also for the naturall love and affection which the said Thomas Goffe now
hath and beareth to and towards his said daughter, and for her advancement and settlement by the way of
marryage and ____ the settling and establishing the premises hereinafter mentioned in the blood and posterity
of the said Isaac Arnold and Margarett his said wife as long as it shall please to continue the same and for other
good causes and considerations, him the said Thomas Goffe, thereunto att this time especially moving, hath
given, granted, bargained, sold, alyened, ____ and confirmed & by these presents doth full and freely give,
grant, bargaine, sell, alien, ____ and absolutely confirme unto the said Isaac Arnold and his heires forever all
that messuage or tenement wherein the said Isaac Arnold now liveth and inhabiteth, together also is the forty
acres of land or thereabouts to the same, belonging and appertaining, situate, lying and being in the sd. Parish of
St. Mary's in the County of Richmond aforesaid.
Beginning att a walnutt being the dividing line betweene John Willis Junr. and the said Thomas Goffe, party to
these presents, running thence to a locus tree dividing the land betweene the said John Willis and the said
Thomas Goffe, thence to a red oake in Gunstocker's line, thence to a small red oake in Gunstocker's line, thence
north 4-1/2d. east one hundred fifty eight poles to the first beginning.
With all houses, outhouses, tobbacco houses, barnes, buildings, gardens, orchards and edifices whatsoever,
together also with all woods, underwoods, timber trees and trees likely to make timber, with and all the estate,
right, title, interest, property, possession, clayme & domain whatsoever of him the said Thomas Goffe, of, in
and to the same and every part and parcell thereof and the reversion and reversions, remainder and remainders,
rents, issues and profitts of all and singular the premises aforesd., being part of a pattent granted by the agents
of the proprietors of the Northern Neck of Virginia for one hundred and five acres of land or thereabouts to the
said Thomas Goffe, party to these presents, which beares date the nineteenth day of March 1696 as in and by
the same now remaineing in the proprietor's office amongst other thing, rotation thereunto being held it doth
and may more fully and att large appeare.
To have and to hold all and singular the premises aforesaid with theire and every of theire respective rights,
members & appurtenances, unto the said Isaac Arnold, his heires and assigns forever to the onely sole proper
use, benefitt and behoofe of him the said Isaac Arnold, his heires and assigns forever more, to the severall uses,
intents and purposes herein after mentioned and ____ (that is to say) to the use and behoofe of the said Isaac
Arnold for and during the terme of his naturall life and from and after his decease to the use and behoof of the
said Margarett his now wife as aforesaid for and during the terme of her naturall life, and from and after her
decease and the death of the survivour and longest liver of them, to the use and behoof of Isaac Arnold Junr.,
son of the said Isaac, party to these presents, and Margarett his said wife, and to the only and sole proper use
of the said Isaac Arnold Junr., his heires and assignes forever and in default of such issue to the right and next
heires of the said Isaac Arnold, party to these presents, forever and to and for none other use, intent or purpose
whatsoever.
And the said Thomas Goffe for himself, his heires, executors, administrators and assignes, and for every of
them doth full and absolutely warrant & forever defend the said land and premises and every part and parcell
thereof, with all & singular the appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining unto the said
Isaac Arnold, his heires and assignes forever to the use aforesaid against the clayme or claymes of all and all
manner of person or persons whatsoever to be holden of the Cheife Lord or Lords of the fee or fees thereof by
and under the ____ for the same due and accustomed to be paid.
And further the said Thomas Goffe, his heires or assignes shall and will att any court held for the said county
within six months after the date of these presents, upon the reasonable request of the said Isaac Arnold, his
heires or assign, duely and personally or by power of attorney acknowledge these presents in court to the end
the same may be recorded and that the said Thomas Goffe, his heires and assignes, shall and will from time to
time & att all times hereafter, upon the reasonable request or requests of the said Isaac Arnold, his heires or
assignes, within the space of seven yeares next ensueing, make, do, suffer and execute or cause to be made,
done, suffered and executed, all and every such act or acts, thing and things, devise and devises, conveyances
and assureances, in the laws whatsoever for the further better and more perfect assureing ____ makeing and
conveying of the said bargained and sold premises unto the said Isaac Arnold, his heires and assigns, forever as
by the ____ learned in the law of the said Isaac Arnold, his heires or assigns, shall reasonably devise, endorse or
require so as the same be done att the ____ and changes of the said Isaac Arnold, his heires or assigns, and that
the said Thomas Goffe, his heires or assigns be not compelled to travell above thirty miles to ____ the same.
Descendants of GOFFE
35 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
In witnesse whereof the parties aforesaid have to these presents interchangeably sett their hands and seales the
day, month and yeare first above written.
Thomas Goffe (by his mark)
Sealed and delivered in the presence of
John Hoaxford
William Duffe (by his mark)
E. Turbervile
John Hoaxford, by virtue of a power of attorney from Thomas Goffe and Margarett his wife, acknowledged
this deed in Richmond County Court ye 7th day of Aprill an. Dom. 1708 and by order of the sd. court ____ it
recorded amongst ye records of ye sd. county.
Thomas Goffe of the parish of St. Mary's in the county of Richmond plantor, and Margarett his wife, do putt
in theire place John Hoaxford, theire attorney in Richmond County Court, to acknowledge a certaine deed made
by him, the said Thomas Goffe, to Isaac Arnold, for forty acres of land beareing even date with these presents
and I, the aforesaid Margarett, the wife of the said Thomas, do hereby also impower the said John Hoaxford to
relinquish my right of dower and thirds att the just law of, in and to the same and for so doeing, this shall be
____ ____ ____ or power of attorney.
In witness whereof, we have hereunto sett our severall and respective hands this 28th February an. Dom. 1707.
Thomas Goffe (the marke of)
Margarett Goffe (her marke)
Recorded amongst the records of Richmond County Court.
36 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas ARNOLD III? [307] was born in _____-_____-1710 in Hanover Parish, Richmond Co., Va., died
about _____-_____-1743 in King George County, Colony of Virginia about age 33, and was buried _____-
General Notes: CHILDREN
John ARNOLD
James ARNOLD
Humphrey ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1730 at: King George Co., Va. Married: ABT. 1750 Died: BET. 4 JUL
1789 - 10 JUL at: Fauquier Co., Virginia Spouses: Harriet Ann SMITH
Nicholas A. ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1734 Died: ABT. 1808 at: Bourbon, Ky Spouses: Sarah CHAMP
Margaret WILLIS
“Thomas Arnold, Isaac (f) db-4 74 3 may 1733 7 Feb 1754 (lease & release 60 mb han par Gingoteague Creek –
see Arnold to Turner —reference) Humphrey Arnold of the parish of Hamilton, County of prince William, to
Thomas turner, lease of land whereon my father Thomas Arnold formerly lived and was given and conveyed
him by his father Isaac Arnold deed of gift bearing day 3 may 1733. land whereon Edward Jones containing by
estimation 60 a. in King George”.
“Thomas Arnold, Isaac (f) db-4 74 3 may 1733 7 Feb 1754 (lease & release 60 mb han par Gingoteague Creek –
see Arnold to Turner —reference) Humphrey Arnold of the parish of Hamilton, County of prince William, to
Thomas turner, lease of land whereon my father Thomas Arnold formerly lived and was given and conveyed
him by his father Isaac Arnold deed of gift bearing day 3 may 1733. land whereon Edward Jones containing by
estimation 60 a. in King George”.
Thomas Arnold was born around 1705 in Richmond. Co., Va. (1) He died around 1743 in King George Co., Va..
Thomas was born in Hanover Parish, Richmond Co., Va the first son of Isaac and Margaret (Goff) Arnold.
There is no record of his birth which can only be estimated from the first record in which he appears. Shortly
after the birth of the first son of Thomas, Humphery, on 30 August 1727, Thomas' father, Isaac, gave a deed of
gift of 60 acres of land being a part of a 226 acre grant which Isaac had obtained earlier. This gift specifically
refers to his son, Humphery, and was evidently also a gift to the recently married couple-Thomas and Mary,
On this account the date of marriage of Thomas and the date of birth of Humphery can be estimated.
On 3 May 1733 having cleared up a question of title to the same property, Isaac again provided a deed of gift
for the same 60 acres to Thomas Arnold in which it was again specified that this land should be for "Humphery
Arnold eldest son of Thomas".
No additional records exhist for Thomas Arnold until 1743 when he died intestate at his home in King George
Co. His widow, Mary, was named as administratrix 6 May 1743 and the inventory of his estate was recorded 3
June 1743.
There is no further record of this family in King George Co. other than the sale of the 60 acres by Humphery in
1753 (9). It would appear that until the sons were grown and probably as long as the widow, Mary, lived the
family remained at the homeplace. It would seem Mary may have died soon after 1749 and by 1753, about the
time Humphery married and soon moved to Prince William Co. Also about the same time, Isaac first shows up
in Orange Co. If there were other children any daughters may have married by that time or sons or daughters
may have joined Isaac in Orange Co.
The evidence regarding there being a second son, Isaac, is altogether circumstantial. This Isaac is believed to
have been the Arnold whose son Humphery, of Culpeper Co. was later of Garrard Co. Ky. where he died. The
name Humphery is a key inference in this presumed relationship.The given name, Isaac, also occurs among the
grandchildren of this Isaac in Garrard Co., Ky. Furthermore no other parentage for this Isaac of Orange Co. can
be found among all the Arnold families in Virginia at this time. Finally, the deed of gift of 60 acres of land
strongly implies that there was at least one younger son.
Parents: Isaac ARNOLD and Margaret GOFF.
Gift - Land from Isaac Arnold Sr. to Thomas Arnold
August 30, 1727
Source: King George County, Virginia, Deed Book 1, p. 452-3
This indenture, made the thirtyeth day of August in the fourteenth year of the reign of our Sovereign Lord
George of Great Brittain & Ireland, King Defender of the faith & in the year of our Lord God one thousand
seven hundred twenty & seven, between Isaac Arnold of the parish of Hanover in King George County within
the dominion of Virginia planter of the one part & Thomas Arnold, son of sd. Isaac of the aforesd. parish and
county within the dominion of Virginia aforesaid planter of the other part.
Witnesseth that the said Isaac Arnold, for and in consideration of the natural love, good will & affection that he
Descendants of GOFFE
37 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
the sd. Isaac Arnold hath and now beareth to and towards his loving son the sd. Thomas Arnold and Mary his
now wife and for their advancement & settlement by the way of marriage & for the setting & establishing the
premises herein after mentioned & expressed in the blood & posterity of the sd. Thomas Arnold & Mary his
sd. wife so long as it shall please God to continue the same, hath given, granted, bargained, made over and
lawfully conveyed and in and by these presents hath fully, freely, clearly & absolutely given, granted,
bargained, made over & lawfully conveyed unto the said Thomas Arnold and his heirs forever all that ____,
tenement, plantation & parcell of land whereon the sd. Thomas Arnold, party to these presents, now liveth and
inhabiteth together also with sixty acres of land or thereaboutes be the same more or less to the same belonging
and appertaining situate, lying and being in the parish of Hanover in King George County and bounded as
followeth:
Beginning at three maple trees standing in or near the line of Robert Elliston in a small branch which leads into
the western main branch of Gingoteague and from thence down the said branch to the line of Henry Long
dividing this land from the land of Isaac Arnold, party to these presents, thence along the said Henry Long's line
to another branch northardly to the line of the land of James Arnold thence up the said branch dividing this land
from the land of the said James Arnold to the line of the land of Robert Elistone, thence southwardly along the
said Eliston's line to the place where it first began together with all houses, buildings, gardens, orchards, fences,
woods & underwoods, ways, water & watercourses, priviledges & comodities whatsoever to the land and
premises aforesaid belonging or in any wise appertaining & the reversion & reversions, remainder & remainders,
rents, issues & profitts, thereof with all goods, indents and writtings whatsoever, ____ or concerning the same
to the only sole proper use, benefit and behoof of Mary Arnold his now wife for & during her natural life and
from & after her decease the death of the survivor and longest liver of them to Humphrey Arnold, son of the sd.
Thomas & Mary, to him & his heirs forever more & to and for none other use, intent or purpose whatsoever.
In witness whereof the said Isaac Arnold hath to these presents set his hand & seale the day, month & year
first above written.
Isaac Arnold
Ralph Saise
William Harvey
At a court held for King George County on Friday the 1st day of September Anno Dom 1727.
Then came Isaac Arnold and acknowledged this deed of gift to Thomas Arnold to be his proper act and deed
which at the instance of him the sd. Thomas Arnold is admitted to record.
Gift - Land from Isaac Arnold Sr. to Thomas Arnold
May 3, 1733
Source: King George County, Virginia, Deed Book 1A, p. 259-60
This indenture made the third day of May in the fifth year of the reign of our sovereign Lord George the Second
of Great Brittain, France & Ireland, King defender of the faith &c., & in the year of our Lord God one thousand
seven hundred & thirty three between Isaac Arnold Senr. of the parish of Hannover in King George County
withing the Dominion of Virginia of the one part & Thomas Arnold, son of the said Isaac Arnold, of the aforsd
parish & county within the dominion of Virginia aforesd planter of the other part.
Witnesseth that the said Isaac Arnold Senr. for in consideration of the natural love, goodwill & affection which
he the said Isaac Arnold hath & now beareth to & towards his sd. son Thomas Arnold & for severall other good
causes & considerations him the said Isaac Arnold thereunto at this time especially moving hath given, granted,
bargained, sold, aliened, ____ & confirmed & in & by these presents doth fully, freely, clearly & absolutely
give, grant, bargain, sell, alien & forever confirm unto his said son Thomas Arnold & Mary his now wife to the
severall uses herein after mentioned & expressed all that plantation & parcall of land whereon the said Thomas
Arnold now liveth & inhabiteth together also with sixty acres of land or thereabout be the same more or less
that is to say to the said Thomas & Mary Arnold for & during the whole term of their natural lives & from &
after the death of the said Thomas Arnold & Mary his now wife & the survivor & longest liver of them the said
land & premises & every part & parcell thereof wholy to belong to Humphrey Arnold, eldest son of the before
named Thomas & Mary Arnold which said land is bounded as followeth:
Beginning at the upper corner of the said Thomas Arnold's plantation in a brach which leads into Gingeteague
Creek at a red oak standing in or near the line of the land formerly belonging to Mr. Jonathan Gibson running
thence with the said line & the line of the land of Mr. Thomas Turner to a small brach which branch divides this
said land from the land of the said Isaac Arnold Senr. thence eastwardly down the said branch to the line of
Henry Long to the first mentioned branch thence up the said branch to the beginning red oak & being part of a
pattent for two hundred twenty five acres of land granted to John Doyle Senr. & sold by John Doyle Junr. to
the said Isaac Arnold part to these presents ____ in & by the same relation thereto being had may & will more
Descendants of GOFFE
38 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
fully & at large appear with all buildings, gardens, orchards, fences, woods & underwoods, timber & timber
trees, ways, water & watercourses, priviledges & comodities whatsoever to land & premises aforesd. belonging
or in any wise appertaining & the said land & premises & parcell thereof the said Isaac Arnold Senr. doth
warrant to the uses aforesd. against the claim or claims of any manner of persons whatsoever claiming from, by
or under him the said Isaac Arnold, his heirs & every of his heirs.
In witness whereof the said Isaac Arnold Senr. hath to these presents set his hand & fixt his seals the day,
month & year first within written.
Sealed & delivered in presence of
Thomas Bartlett
James Boddington (by his mark)
Isaac Arnold
At a court held for King George County the 4th day of May 1733, then came Isaac Arnold & acknowledged
this deed of gift unto Thomas Arnold & Mary wife of the sd. Isaac relinquished her right of dower thirds which
on the motion of the sd. Thomas is admitted to record.
39 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas married Mary ____________ [308] [MRIN: 124], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, before Aug 30, 1727 in King George County, Colony of Virginia. Mary was born
_____-_____-_____ in VA, died between 1749 and 1753 in VA, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________. They had one son: Nicholas.
Nicholas ARNOLD [303] was born about _____-_____-1734 in King George, Virginia, died about _____-
_____-1808 in Bourbon County, Kentucky about age 74, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________.
John ARNOLD Born: 10 JAN 1754 at: Culpepper Co., Va Died: 4 MAY 1818 at: Woodford Co., Ky
James ARNOLD Born: 1756 at: Culpepper Co., Va Died: at: Woodford Co., Ky
Lewis ARNOLD Born: 1757 at: Culpepper Co., Va Died: 1813 at: Woodford Co, Ky
Mary ARNOLD, "MOLLY" Born: ABT. 1759 at: Virginia Died: 1 NOV 1841 at: Garrard, Ky
Sarah ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1763 at: Virginia
Margaret "Peggy" Willis ARNOLD Born: BET. 1768 - 1769 at: Culpepper Co., Va Married: 29 OCT 1787 at:
Lincoln, Kentucky Died: ABT. 1810 at: Barren County, Kentucky Spouses: *Samuel HIND
Thomas ARNOLD Born: 3 JAN 1770 at: Virginia Died: 1840 at: Bourbon, KY
Name: Elisha ARNOLD Born: ABT. 1772 at: Virginia
One researcher has him "arriving in Pennsylvania in 1754 with brother, Phillip Arnold. Two years later
Nicholas was in Berks County, Pennsylvania (1756). He was indentured for three years..." Another researcher
has him tied to the Thomas Arnold (1649 - 1726) Lineage, being a brother of Humphrey Arnold and gives his
case for believing this. (See 2nd possibility at bottom of page.)
Note the marriage bond for Samuel Hind and Peggy Willis Arnold as folows:
Marriage Bond of Lincoln County Kentucky - Know all men by these ______ that we Samuel Hind and
Humphrey Arnold are held & firmly bound unto his Excellency Edmund Randolph Esquire Governor of
Virginia in the Sum of Fifty pounds Current Money to the payment whereof to be made to the said Governor
his Heirs & ______ we bind ourselves our Heirs & firmly by the presents Sealed with our Seals & dated this
29th day of Oct 1787 The Condition of the above oblegation is sent that whereas there is a Marriage shortly
intended to be Solemonized between the above bound Samuel Hind of Peggy Willis Arnold for which a License
has issued Now if there is no lawful cause to obstruct the Said Marriage then this obligation to be void order to
remain in full force. Signed Samuel Hind - Humphrey (his mark) Arnold. Sealed & Delivered in presence of
Willis Green.
Humphrey Arnold signs it giving a connection with that lineage and, to me, giving more weight to the second
possibility described below.
I think the statement of the last researcher made rings true. "In the case of Nicholas even though he and his
children prospered in Kentucky no information from any of their descendents have given any indication of his
origin. His date of birth has been reported as 1734 but is not supported by any specific evidence. It must be
recognized that this entire proposition is essentially speculative and any one of several bits of well supported
evidence could change the parentage identification completely. "
It is speculated with only tenuous circumstantial evidence that Nicholas Arnold was the third son of Thomas
Arnold. The only record of his children is that for Humphrey Arnold. Thomas died by 1743 at which time his
oldest child, Humphrey, was still only sixteen years old. Mary, the wife of Thomas died about ten years later.
During these ten years her three sons would have still been under her care and assisting in managing the farm
where they lived. When she died the older two sons would have been over twenty one and both were probably
married by that time. A youngest son born about 1732 would have just reached the age of twenty one. In his
case during these ten years it is possible that there might have been a guardian appointed for him.
It is to be noted that only one of the assumed three sons of Thomas, that is Isaac, had a family name. Both the
names Humphrey and Nicholas could easily have come from the family of the mother, Mary, which family
identity is unknown.
The circumstances of growing up without a father may have led the three sons to following very different
paths. The oldest son inherited all their father's land. The second son, Isaac, was very much on his own and
while he married and had a family, he never prospered.
It is possible that a third son, speculated to be Nicholas, might have benefitted from his mother's relatives or
from a guardian. In any case within two years after his mother's death he was able to secure a 400 acre land
Descendants of GOFFE
40 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
grand in western Culpeper County which provided a base for his future livelihood. At that time he was a
resident of Orange County where he appears in the Court Order records as early as 1754. From other records
mostly from 1774 on it appears that Nicholas lived in the eastern part of Orange County about at the middle
between the northern and southern boundary.
The circumstance of the marriage of the first son of Nicholas in Fauquier County also suggests that he may have
had a close association with his older brother, Humphrey, who as soon as possible when his mother died sold
the homestead in King George County and bought land in Fauquier where he lived and died. This brother,
Humphrey, served in the Revolution and it is almost certain that it was he who was a surety for his daughter,
Mary's, marriage in 1780. This particular evidence is the key item suggesting that Nicholas and Humphrey were
brothers.
Profiting from the 400 acres in Culpeper which he sold for five thousand pounds in 1780 and his 300 acre
holding on Terry's Run in Orange which he sold in 1784, he and many of his family joined the Travelling
Church to go to Kentucky.
In view of the very differing circumstances that existed from his brother, Isaac, and his family and association
between these two families was lost very early. The older brother, Humphrey, well settled in Fauquier had no
basis or reason for moving to Kentucky so he remained there where he died.
The fortunes of the family of Nicholas in Kentucky were not only favorable but were totally independent of
those of the families of Isaac and Humphrey. Thus almost immediately after the moves to Kentucky all
association and even recollection of the brothers and their families could have been lost. It is significant that in
none of these families has there been any tradition that carries back beyond or even to the particular brother.
The early death of the father, Thomas, and the relatively young death of the mother probably before she was
fifty also makes it reasonable that all tradition or recollection to the parents or all their children would have been
carried forward.
In the case of Nicholas even though he and his children prospered in Kentucky no information from any of their
descendants has given any indication of his origin. His date of birth has been reported as 1734 but this is not
supported by any specific evidence.
It must be recognized that this entire proposition is speculative and any one of several bits of well supported
evidence could change the parentage identification.
Footnotes
1. Northern Neck Grants: Nicholas Arnold of Orange Co., 400 a in Culpeper Co., in Fork of N and S Rush
Rivers by some called Thornton's River. North side of Thorofare Mt. Surv. Richard Young, 17 Mch 1755.
This property was sold by Nicholas and Margaret in 1780 for five thousand pounds. See Culpeper Co., Deed
BK K p 250-253 dated 21 Aug 1780.
10 October 1797 received a Grant from Kentucky for 400 Acres in Bourbon County, Kentucky.
Will: 1808 in Bpirbon County, Kentucky
Name: Nicholas Arnold
Birth Date: 1740
Birthplace: Virginia,
Volume: 04
Page Number: 535
Biographical Info: mil.
Reference: Historical reg. Of Virginians in the Rev., soldiers, saliors and marines, 1775-1783. Ed. By
John H. Gwathmey. Richmond, Va. 1938. (13, 872p.):22
Nicholas married Margaret WILLIS [304] [MRIN: 121], daughter of ____________ ____________ and
____________ ____________, in _____-_____-1753 in Woodford, Ky. Margaret was born in _____-_____-
1735 in Culpepper, Virginia, died before _____-_____-1773 in __________, __________, __________, and
was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had one daughter:
(Margaret)Peggy.
General Notes: Children Sex Birth
John Arnold M 10 Jan 1754 in [city], Culpeper, Virginia, USA
Lewis Arnold M 1757 in [city], Culpeper, Virginia, USA
Descendants of GOFFE
41 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Mary Arnold F abt 1759 in Culpeper, [county], Virginia, USA
Sarah Arnold F abt 1763 in Fauquier, [county], Virginia, USA
Peggy Willis Arnold F 1765 in Culpepper, [county], Virginia, USA Thomas Arnold M 3
Jan 1770 in Basin Spring Place, Bourbon, Kentucky, USA Elisha Arnold M abt 1772 in Culpeper, [county],
Virginia, USA
(Margaret)Peggy ARNOLD/WILLIS [95] was born in _____-_____-1766 in Culpepper county, Virginia, died
about _____-_____-1810 in Barren County, Kentucky about age 44, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
General Notes: Bond by Humphrey Arnold, consent for bride by Nicholas Arnold, Wit by Robert Hamilton and
David McNelly. She was listed as Peggy Willis.
Research of Charles HIND, Frankfort, Kentucky:
" I think there can be little doubt that Peggy Willis ARNOLD HIND was a daughter of Nicholas ARNOLD. She
probably came to Kentucky before her father in the Traveling Church part with at least one sister and her three
brothers, John, James, and Lewis, or perhaps she came only with one or two of the brothers and met the other or
the other two out in Kentucky. Circumstantial evidence points to her being at Bryants Station in 1783 at the time
of the Indian attack, and she was probably one of the girls who followed the women of the fort down to the
spring to get water."
(Margaret)Peggy married Samuel HINDS [94] [MRIN: 31], son of James HINDS [294] and Marymiah DE
JARNETTE [302], on Mar 29, 1787 in Lincoln County, KY. Samuel was born in _____-_____-1766 in Culpepper
county, Virginia, died on Sep 19, 1825 in Green Co, KY at age 59, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in
__________, __________, __________. They had one son: Thomas S..
General Notes: 1850 United States Federal Census
Shows
Samuel age 24 Male Farmer, KY born
Elizabeth 23 Female, KY born
Martha W. 3 Female
Robert E. 1 Male
SOURCE: Kentucky Marriage Records, Lincoln County, 1781-1792, Page 322
States:
10-29 Hind, Samuel, Peggy Willis
Arnold, con. by Nicholas A.
Marriage Bond of Lincoln County Kentucky - Know all men by these ______ that we Samuel Hind and
Humphrey Arnold are held & firmly bound unto his Excellency Edmund Randolph Esquire Governor of
Virginia in the Sum of Fifty pounds Current Money to the payment whereof to be made to the said Governor
his Heirs & ______ we bind ourselves our Heirs & firmly by the presents Sealed with our Seals & dated this
29th day of Oct 1787 The Condition of the above oblegation is sent that whereas there is a Marriage shortly
intended to be Solemonized between the above bound Samuel Hind of Peggy Willis Arnold for which a License
has issued Now if there is no lawful cause to obstruct the Said Marriage then this obligation to be void order to
remain in full force.
Signed Samuel Hind - Humphrey (his mark) Arnold. Sealed & Delivered in presence of Willis Green.
SOURCE: Marriage Records of Lincoln, Barren, Green Counties Kentucky
CHILDREN
James HIND Born: ABT. 1788 at: Lincoln County, Kentucky
Nancy HIND Born: ABT. 1790 at: Lincoln County, Kentucky
William HIND Born: 19 DEC 1791 at: Garrard, Kentucky
Descendants of GOFFE
42 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Robert HIND Born: ABT. 1792 at: Garrard, Kentucky Died: APR 1817 at: Barren County, Kentucky
Name: John HIND Born: ABT. 1797 at: Garrard County, Kentucky
Martha HIND Born: 24 JUN 1799 at: Horse Cave, Green County, Kentucky Married: at: Died: 14 JUN 1880
at: Macon County, Missouri
Johnson HIND Born: ABT. 1800 at: Garrard County, Kentucky
Thomas S. HINDS, "HINES" Born: 27 DEC 1801 at: Garrard County, Kentucky Married: 19 JAN 1824 at:
Green County, Kentucky Died: 30 SEP 1876 at: Elk Lick Ford, Green County, Kentucky Spouses: *Elizabeth
KESSLER
Lewis A. HIND Born: ABT. 1802 at: Garrard County, Kentucky Died: 1825 at: Kentucky
Willis Arnold HIND Born: ABT. 1805 at: Garrard County, Kentucky Died: 1840 at: Barren County, Kentucky
Susanna HIND Born: ABT. 1807 at: Garrard County, Kentucky
43 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas S. HINDS [92] was born on Dec 27, 1801 in Garrard County, Kentucky, died on Sep 30, 1876 in Elk
Lick Ford, Green County, Kentucky at age 74, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Thomas Hind/John
Cemetery, Green County, KY.
General Notes: Susan Hines married Jacob G. David 25 January 1826. Thomas Hinds gives his consent.Susan is
too old to be his daughter. Wonder if it is a sister?
?1830 U.S. Census • Ohio • Champaign • Urbana
Name: Hind, Thomas S. Township: Urbana County: Champaign State: Ohio Year: 1830 Roll: M19_128 Page:
54 Image: 112
1850 United States Federal Census
Name: Thomas S Hind Age: 16 Estimated Birth Year: 1833 Birth Place: Kentucky Gender: Male Home in 1850
(City,County,State): Division 2, Barren, Kentucky Page: 485 Roll: M432_191
Shows him living in the household of John Clark. Either I have dates wrong or the wrong Thomas. Or He has a
son Thomas also.
Also in the Clark household is James R Hind, 14 Male, Joseph M, 10 Male, Paulina Clark 4 Female, John M.
Clark 1 male.
1850 Green Co., KY Census
#103 Thomas Hines 48 farmer, 1600, Garrard Co., KY
Elizabeth 43 Adair Co., KY
#104Samuel D. 24
Harriett 18
Mary A. 17
Robt E. 16
Nancy E. 12
Margaret A. 11
Sarah E. 6
Wm. L. 3
Martha F. 2
All born in Green Co., KY
1860 Green Co., KY Census
#400 P.O. Barrack
Thomas Hinds 59 farmer 1200 381 KY
Elizabeth 54
Sarah E. 17
William L. 15
James T. 11
Lucinda L. 8
Thomas J. Strader 6
Martha B. Strader 4
1870 Green Co., KY census
#55/58 Thomas Hines 68 farmer $1000 $1200 KY
Elizabeth 64 Keeps house KY
James T. 19 KY
Lucinda 16 KY
Mary Strader 21 KY
Thomas Strader 16 KY
Martha S. Strader 14 KY
The Strader children were the children of Susan and William L. Strader, where were Martha and Daniel in the
1860 Census?
1920 US Federal Census
Name: Thomas S Hind Age: 85 years Estimated birth year: 1834 Birthplace: Maine Race: White Home in 1920:
Descendants of GOFFE
44 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire Home owned: Sex: Marital status Year of immigration: Able to read &
write: Roll: T625_1008 Page: 7B ED: 159 Image: 0897
Household of Andrew?, Frank E 58 born in maine parents born in Maine also
Wife Martha? E. age 53 Maine all born
E. Vincent, son 12 b. NH
Thomas S. Hind, 85 Widowed Father in Law b. Maine, parents born in maine also.
He was a farmer.
Grantee: Hinds, Thos
Acres: 125
Book: 42
Survey Date: 6-19-1854
WaterCourse: Green R
Reference: THE KENTUCKY LAND GRANTS
Volume 1
Part 2
CHAPTER X. GRANTS IN THE COUNTY COURT ORDERS (1836-1924)
THE COUNTIES OF KENTUCKY
page 1346
Bibliography:
Jillson, Willard Rouse. The Kentucky Land Grants, - Vol. I-II (2). Louisville, KY: Filson Club Publications,
Per Green County Circuit Court case #94, 4 February 1858:
Thomas Hinds was guardian of children of Thomas Strader and Nathan Gooch guardian of children of William
L. Strader. Mary, Thomas and possibly Martha in the above census are the children of William L. Strader.
(Thomas and William both had a Martha). They were next door to Thomas and Elizabeth Hinds. Will Book 4,
page 25-26, Green Co., KY, 16 Sep 1876
Will of Thomas Hind: My wife, Elizabeth, gets 100 acres, the old homestead where now live, during her
lifetime. My son Samuel Hind, gets the 75 acres I alloted to him. My son-in-law, John Carter, and his wife,
Martha, get 50 acres, being a part of the tract where I now live and to be laid off parallel with R.C. Embry's line
next to my farm, for which Carter has advanced me $100 on it. The rest of my land not specified is to be sold
and divided equally among my heirs. My grand daughter, Susan Hardy, gets $10 above her interest in my estate
for a new saddle. After my wife's death, I wish the 100 acres that I have willed to her to be sold and pay my
executors or any of my sons for any expense in taking care of my wife, Elizabeth.
Exec. John W. Carter
Signed: Thomas Hind (X)
Wit: J.B. Montgomery, S.H. Hardy
Produced: 16 Oct, 1876 by J.B. Montomery and proven by J.B. Montgomery and S.H. Hardy
Recorded: 26 Oct, 1876 by John B. Hundley for J.S. Durham, clk.
GREEN CO. REVIEW, VOL. 1 NO. 2 JANUARY 1978
Page 251853 Green Co.,KY Births,copied by John Paul Grady
.__ July, female, Thomas Hind's res. on Little Barren, Trammell's Cr.,parents Thomas & Elizabeth (Kessler)
Hind,named Lucinda.
Marriage Notes for ELIZABETH KESSLER and THOMAS HIND:
Marriage Book B 47
Thomas Hind and Elizabeth Kepler (Kessler)
Bond: 19 Jan 1824
Thomas Hind and Daniel Kepler (Kessler)
M: 19 Jan 1824 by Thomas Skaggs
Marriage: 19 January 1824, Green Co., KY
Descendants of GOFFE
45 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Green Co., KY Circuit Court #1091 (Vol. 2, p. 29)
Land dispute between Wm. L. Mudd, admr for Thomas Hinds who departed this life in 1877. He made
administrator in 1878. James T. Hinds owes money, who owes notes for two tracts of land Deed date 16 Sept
1876. James T. denies that he bought land from his father...the land is on Little Barren River.
Nancy E. George, 5 Jul 1881, age 42 sister to J. T. Hinds...resides in Green Co.
J. W. Carter 6 Jul 1881, age 38 bro-in-law to J. T. Hines.
Lewis Hines son of Thomas Hines went to Kansas.
Martha F. Carter, wife of J. W. Carter, sister to J. T. Hinds, age 32, lives Green Co.
William Lewis Hinds 6 Jul 1881 35, lives in Hart Co., bro J. T. inds
James T. Hinds
Green Co., KY Marriages 1869-1873 p.2
R. V. Bale and Amanda E. Hinds
Bond 25 Dec 1873
William L. Hinds on bond.
Groom age 19, 1st marriage, farmer, born Green Co., Parents born Green Co.
Bride age 22,1st marriage, born Green Co., parents born Green Co.
Married 25 Dec 1873 at Thomas Hinds' by S. H. Hardy (Samuel Henry Hardy) Wit: J. M. Goff, J. M.
Vanarsdol and Thomas Handy
This wedding would have been for the granddaughter of Thomas Hinds.
The LDS Ancestral file shows Thomas S. Hinds as the son of Samuel Hind and Peggy Willis Arnold. Samuel
was the son of James.
Green Co Circuit Court Case #1091
30 Sept 1878W L MUDD, Admr of Thomas HINDS vs James T HINDS
William L MIDD state that Thomas HIND departed this life in Green Co in 1877. He was made administrator
in 1878. James T HINDS owes a note dated 16 Sept 1876 to Thomas HINDS for $116. The note was for two
tracts of land which Thomas HINDS sold and deeded to James T HINDS. The land is on Little Barren River.
DEED: 15 Sept 1876
Thomas HINDS and wife Elizabeth to James T HINDS…two tracts of land…Tract 1:..Beginning at HANDY's
tract of 25 acres then with a line of J T HINDS…COOK..8 ½ acres; Tract 2: Beginning at W T HINDS
line…SPILLERS 1000 Acre survey…edge of a small hollow and near a log way…18 ½ acres. There are 27 acres
in the small two tracts.
William L MUDD wants a sale of the land to settle the note and the estate.
James T HIND states that it is untrue that he purchased the 50 acres from Thomas HINDS. He denies that the
note to his father, Thomas HINDS, was made for the land mentioned in the petition. He bought from Louis
HINDS and paid him for it. Louis bought this tract from M GOFF and GOFF made the deed to James T
HINDS, the deed referred to in this petition. Thomas HINDS never owned the land or any part thereof, nor did
he ever hold a lien on it. J T HINDS further states that the land in the amended petition is a part of his
homestead and he is now living on it and occupying the land., and without the balance of the land now owned
by him is not worth as much as $1000 and he is entitled to and claims the 50 acres under the homestead law. He
asked for the suit to be dismissed.
DEED: 14 September, 1876 Jesse M. Goff and wife, Martha to James T. Hinds. .50 acres. .$200 ..Little Barren
River.. .Wm Spiller's upper corner standing on the clift of Little Barren River. .Mary Clemons. .Richard
Craddock...
Warren.. . AMENDED PETITION:
W. L. Mudd amends his petition and states that the note sued upon is for the purchase price of three tracts of
land instead of two tracts mentioned in the original petition.
Thomas Hines, sometime before his death, purchased of Jesse M. Goff a tract of 50 acres and paid him, and
Thomas Hines sold the tract to J. T. Hines at the same time that he sold the two small tracts mentioned in the
original petition. The note was filed for the three tracts of land. Goff made the deed to J. T. Hines. Therefore,
he has a lien on all three tracts.
REPLY: W. L. Mudd denies that J. T. Hines purchased the land from Lewis Hinds and paid him for it. Mudd
denies that Thomas Hinds ever owned the land.
Depo. of Mrs. Nancy E. George (5 July, 1881 at New Salem Baptist Church) Age about 42 years old; reside
Green County. I am a sister to James T. Hines. I am partially acquainted with the land in controversy. I don't
Descendants of GOFFE
46 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
know a thing about the note. I heard them speak about his giving a note, but I know nothing about it. I don't
know who he purchased all of the land from. I know he got some of it from Pa. I don't know that I ever heard
Pa speak of James T. owing him. I heard them speak something of having this trade up for land. I don't know of
James T. owning any other land. I don't recollect of ever hearing them say anything about the money. My
brother has never lived on any other farm except on the one where he now resides. I don't know how many
acres my brother purchased of my father. I don't know anything about the indebtedness of my brother.
Depo. of James B. Montgomery (5 July, 1881 at New Salem Baptist Church) Age 70; live Green County. I was
acquainted with Thomas Hines, dec'd. I wrote the note sued on. It was executed for land. It was for the land
that J. T. Hines now lives on. Mr. Hines told me a good deal, but I don't recollect it all. That note was what was
due Thomas Hines from his son, J. T. Hines, upon a final settlement. J. T. Hines had a claim against Thomas
Hines for perhaps a hundred dollars. I do not recollect what was said between them at the time. Old man Hines,
I think, had two claims against his son, J. T. Hines, to make the amount of the note. My impression was that
both claims were for land. I think the whole note was for the land. I don't know if the land was sold by decree
or not. I heard it was. I know that he owned another tract of land which was cut off from his father's land,
besides the land he got from Jesse Goff. He executed a note sued on, in part or all, for that piece of land. The
house that James lives on is on the land that Jesse Goff deeded to him. I think a fair value would be $8.00 per
acre.
Depo. of Jesse M. Goff (5 July, 1881 at New Salem Baptist Church) At 42 years old; I live in Green County. I
am acquainted with the 27 acres referred to. I would put it at about $7.00 or $8.00 per acre for a fair value. I
reckon it would be worth more than that if sold on time. I understood when the question was put to me, that it
was for a cash value. I am the Jesse Goff who deeded the land to the defendant. I sold the land to Bob Hines
and he paid me half of it down and gave me the note for the balance. I then traded the note to Capt. Thompson
and he and Hines both told me the note was paid. I bought the land from my father, William Goff. The
defendant's father, Thomas Hines, never had any lien on it that I know of.
Depo. of J. W. Carter (6 July, 1881, at New Salem Baptist Church) I am 38 years old and live in Green County.
I am a brother-in-law of J. T. Hines. I don't know if my father-in-law, Thomas Hines, had any interest in the 50
acres deeded by Jesse Goff or not. He listed it while Lewis Hines was gone to Kansas and he told me he
reckoned he would get the land. Lewis wrote to him for the money, and I went with him over to Ike Russell's to
borrow it, but didn't get it. I did not know that the note was given until after the old man's death. It was said
that it was given for land and that is all I know about the note. I don't know how J. T. Hines became indebted to
his father, without it was for that note. Bob Hines, they tell me, bought the land from Jesse Goff before the war
and I reckon he paid him for it. I don't know who furnished the money. I never hear the old man say anything
about the indebtedness of his son, James T., to him nor anything about furnishing any money to pay any
person for the land. I know nothing about how James T. made the payment of Goff. I've never heard how he
got the land, or where he got the money to pay for it. The note calls for two pieces of land, 7 acres and 17 acres,
I believe. I know nothing about the trade. Thomas Hinds listed the land of Louis Hinds while he was gone to
Kansas. This is the same land. I can't tell you if Thomas Hines listed that land as his own or as his son's, Lewis
Hinds. I don't think Thomas ever claimed the land in my presence. The only claiming he ever done was that he
just claimed the whole boundary after Lewis left here. He owned the land all around it, and that lay in the
middle and the old man just claimed the whole boundary. QUESTION: You have stated that Thomas Hines said
that he reckoned he would get the land of Louis Hinds. Now state if that was not on account of his son's wife
and two children dying and leaving his son without heirs.
ANSWER: No, not that I know of. He told me that he would get it from Lewis, that Lewis had gone off and left
it. I don't think Thomas ever paid his son anything for it. I don't know if J. T. Hinds paid his brother Louis
Hinds for the land.
Depo. of Mrs. Martha F. Carter (6 July, 1881, New Salem Baptist Church) I am 32 years old and reside in
Green County. I am a sister to J. T. Hines. I don't know if my brother was indebted to his father at the death of
the old man. I don't know anything about the debt, only that he said he would sell it to him. It was the land
where James T. Hinds now lives. Mr. Carter, my husband, and myself were living on the land at the time and he
was talking about us moving off, that he would have to give it up to Jim Tom Hinds as he was about to sell it to
him. This was the land deeded by Jesse Goff to J. T. Hines. This was not the 27 acre tract. This was a week or
two before we moved away from there, about four or five weeks ago. I don't know if my father ever paid Louis
Hinds for the land. My father was not hard run an aiming to sell off a portion of his land that I know of. He
was at that time unable to buy land and pay for it.
Depo. of William Lewis Hinds (6 July, 1881, New Salem Baptist Church) Age 35; live in Hart County, KY. I
am a brother to J. T. Hines. I owned the 50 acres of land deeded to James T. Hines by Jesse Goff. I got it from
Descendants of GOFFE
47 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
James Carter. I sold it to my brother, James T. Hines. He paid me for it. He paid me part money and part in
stock. I didn't make him a title bond. There was no writing of any kind between us. My father has no interest of
any sort in the land. He furnished no money. I do not know what the note was for from my brother to my
father. I did not know there was such a note until the day of the sale. I think my brother James paid me $325
for the land. He paid it all in money except one mule at $100. He paid me $125 and the mule at one time and
then in about a year, he paid the balance. I never heard my father say that he paid any part of it. I've never
heard my father mention that James owed him. My father never owned the 50 acres. My brother, James T.
Hinds, let Jack Carter move on it.
Depo. of James T. Hinds (6 July, 1881, New Salem Baptist Church) I am the defendant in this action. I was to
give my father $216 for the land, I believe. The deed shows it paid. He let me have the land and said he would
mark it paid and afterward concluded that I had better give him something to show, so they could not butt it up
against me in the settlement of the estate. I gave the note for $316 for the land and other little trading around.
When he let me have the land he said he would mark it paid and afterwards concluded that he might die and said
I had better give him something to show so that the children could see what lowed when the estate settled up
and that if my part didn't come to that much I could pay the balance over to the children. The deed was written
about the time or after he was taken down sick. James B. Montgomery wrote the deed. ---
JUDGMENT: To sell the land. The land was appraised by John E. Davenport and John T. Rhea in May, 1879
at $121.10. The land sold' on October 20, 1879. The highest bidder was James A. Carter for $75.00
gust, 1860 by W T Barnett, Ass't Marshall. Series: M653 Roll: 370 Page: 595
48 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Thomas married Mary Elizabeth(Betsy) KESSLER [93] [MRIN: 30], daughter of Daniel KESSLER [96] and
Eve/Phoebe KOONTZ [97], on Jan 19, 1824 in Green County, Greensburg KY. Mary was born about _____-
_____-1806 in Adair County, Kentucky, died on Jun 4, 1899 in Green County, Kentucky about age 93, and was
buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________. They had one daughter: Mary Ann.
General Notes:
Mary Ann HINDS [2913] was born on Feb 2, 1832 in Green Co, KY, died on Apr 29, 1908 in Munfordville,
Hart Co, KY, __________ at age 76, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
General Notes: Just a note on Black Dutch... This also included Indian heritage. Many, mostly Cherokee were
Indians who wanted to remain in the standard population after the trail of tears when the Indian Tribes were
forced to move to reservation. They would tell the Census takers they were ei: Black Dutch, Black Irish, Black
German, & therefore, if they were fair skinned enough to pass, would be aloud to stay at their place of
residence. Later it was also picked up by lite skinned blacks or those of mixed heritage ( as if all Americans are
not of mixed heritage, of course).
** One of the stories I have heard of in Kentucky was a family for which Mom that never allowed her children
outdoors. She was Indian and she feared that if they got into the sun, they would be recognized for their
ancestry and the family would be sent away.
Mary married Elijah/Elza/EligiaWhitten GOFF [89] [MRIN: 29], son of William(Uncle Billy) GOFF
[100] and Nancy Jane A?S? HANDY [101], on Jun 14, 1858 in Greensburg, Green County, Kentucky.
Elijah/Elza/EligiaWhitten was born on Sep 1, 1832 in Green County, Greensburg KY, died on Aug 15, 1915 in
Munfordville, Hart County, KY at age 82, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in Old Family Farm Cemetery
near Greensburg, Green, Kentucky. They had seven children: Matilda Ellen, Daniel Edward "Edd," Sarah
Ann, Nannie S, William Louis"Texas," James Robert, and Viola Katherine "Kattie".
General Notes: 1860 U.S. Census • Kentucky • Green • Unknown Townships
Name: Elijah W Goff Age in 1860: 27
Home in 1860: District 2, Green, Kentucky Gender: Male
Value of real estate: Post Office: Monroe
Roll: M653_370 Page: 0 Year: 1860
Head of Household: William Goff
census shows Mary A same age at Elijah in the household. His wife I assume.
Under their names are Matilda F age 1, Emily Strader F, age 8 and Richard T Strader age 6. This must be the half
brother and sister referred to in Edd's death book.
Census Kentucky 1900 Hart County
Repository:
Call Number:
Media: Census
Page: 14A Munfordville Dist
Text: Enumeration done June 20, 1900 by George W Marion Film T623_526
Goff, Elijah head W M Sept 1832 age 67 married 50 years, born KY Fa: Ky Mo: KY Occ:Farm labor can read
and write Home not farm
Goff, Mary A wife W F Feb 1832 age 68 married 50 years no children born KY Fa: Ky Mo: KY Occ:none can
read and write
(on the census on the line above Elijah is a Daniel Goff born Apr 1874 wife Alma born June 1877)
Marriage records
Elijah Goff and Mary Ann Strader
Bond 6/14/1858 Married 6/14/1858
Married by L. Sidebottom at T. Hinds
Descendants of GOFFE
49 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
Wit: T. Hinds and M. Hinds
(Duplicate line. See page 13)
Nicholas next married Sarah CHAMP [305] [MRIN: 122], daughter of Thomas CHAMP [306] and
Unknown, on May 24, 1795 in Bourbon, Ky. Sarah was born _____-_____-_____ in __________,
__________, __________, died on Nov 7, 1847 in __________, __________, __________, and was buried
_____-_____-_____ in __________, __________, __________.
Sina ARNOLD
Robert Champ ARNOLD
Gensey ARNOLD
Suppish ARNOLD
William GOFF [2730] was born in _____-_____-1640 in Virginia, died _____-_____-_____ in __________,
Robert GOFF [2731]
Martha GOFF [2732] was born in _____-_____-1648 in Old Rappahannock, VA, USA, died in _____-_____-
1708 in Family Farm, VA at age 60, and was buried _____-_____-_____ in __________, __________,
__________.
General Notes: Joseph W. Gough offered the following on the Goff GenForum April 16, 2001 (Message No.
1719):
"William Gough, head of my line of Gough's, was born in County Gloucester, England. Records disagree on the
year of his arrival in Maryland. The "Tercentenary History of Maryland" says that he arrived in 1673; a record
handed down by William Joseph Gough of Sacramento, California says that he arrived in 1664. No one has ever
been able to find who William Gough's Parents were.
"I found this on the internet that may interest you.
"William Gough was born in England in 1605. He was married to Martha Baxter (1610-1670) and had four
children: William Gough Jr. born 1630; Martha Gough, born 1640; and twins Robert and Thomas Goffe, born
1645. Thomas Goffe married Margaret Arnold in 1670 and had four children. William Gough and his family are
believed to have sailed to America on the ship Amitee in 1635".
Since there were four children born to this couple. Two were named Goffe and two were named Gough. I am
wondering if this was William Gough or William Goffe, or could they both be the same person.J.W.G."
And, from William & Mary Quarterly, Series I, Volume V, pp. 110-112, the following:
GOOCH FAMILY
"The name Gooch appears under the form of Gooch, Gouge, Gough, and Goffe.
"William Gooch lived near the present site of Yorktown. In November, 1654, Capt. William Gooch represented
York County in the House of Burgesses, and March 31, 1655, he was one of the councillors appointed by the
General Assembly. He died the following October, aged 29. Burks's "Peerage and Baronetage", edition of 1896,
gives a William Gooch, uncle of the Governor of Virginia of that name, as having died in 1655. He may have
been this William Gooch, who became a major after his appointment as councillor. William Gooch, of York
County, left a daughter Anne, who married Capt. Thomas Beale. He probably left a son William, as Henning
(Vol. II., p. 158) tells of a difference between martin Palmer and John Prosser, who "married the relict of
William Goffe," about 1,000 acres in New Kent, granted by patent to "Capt. Palmer, and by a later patent to
William Goffe, son of William Goffe, deceased."
=======================================================
Descendants of GOFFE
50 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
http://www.combs-fa milies.org/combs/families/c-j1662.htm
Thomas KENDALL and his wife, Martha GOFF, were the parents of William KENDALL who later married
John Combs' daughter, Elizabeth.
Martha Goff was the step-daughter of John PROSSER
http://www.combs-families.org/combs/records/va/rapp.htm
Be it known unto all men that I John PROSSER of the County of Rappa. ... the Memory of my Deceased
Martha and for severall services done me by Martha the only daughter of my said Wife...unto the said Martha
and her now Husband Thomas KENDALL and their heirs forever one parcell of land containing three hundred
acres of land being part of a devident of a greater quantitie lying and being in the Freshes of Rappahannock
River...
Although the following paragraph is rather long, it is important in showing the relationship between this family
and the supporters of William Claiborne and of Bacon.
"In the York county books Henry Gooch, called "brother" of Major James Goodwin, was supervisor of the
estate of Major William Gooch. On the death of Robert Kinsey, he married, about 1661, Millicent Kinsey, the
widow. Henry Gooch was justice of York county, and became lieutenant-colonel. He took sides with Bacon,
and Mrs. Ann Cotton tells of a severe retort made by the commander upon him. When Bacon met the men of
Gloucester County at the court-house, he got out of patience with their lukewarmness, and offered to go away.
"Col. Gouge" tried to compromise things by calling out to Bacon "he had only spoke to the Horss (meaning the
troopers) and not to the foote." Bacon testily replied, "he had spoke to the Men and not to the Horss, having
left that servis for him to do, because one beast best would understanding the meaning of another." When the
revolt died out, the last meeting of Lawrence and the rest was held at Col. Gooch's house in New Kent
(probably in that part now King William). In 1676-'77 he was fined 6,000 pounds of tobacco and pardoned, on
his bended knees, by Sir William Berkley. This is all that is known of him (See Force's "Tracts" and Henning's
"Statutes".) Rev. John Gough was minister at Jamestown during this time, and he died January 15, 1683/4. He
married at least twice, and had by first marriage Wiliam Gough (Gooch). He married, secondly, Jane, sister of
Rev. Rowland Jones of the neighboring parish of Bruton, and her issue mentioned in the latter's will were
"Henry, Rowland, Jane, and Elizabeth Gooch."
"There is a patent to William Gough for 1,225 acres in King and Queen on Papettico Swamp, formerly the land
of "Mr. John Gough," and since granted October 26, 1694, to William Gough, as "son and heir" to his father. In
the same neighborhood there is a grant to "Mrs. Jane Gouge." Her will is on record in King William under the
name of "Joane Gough," and bears date February, 1701/2. It mentions sons Henry and Rowland Gough,
daughter Joane Peake, and son-in-law William Gough. On July 17 following, Henry and Rowland Gough
qualified as executors. William Gough (Gooch, Gouge), the "son-in-law" (the term then meant 'stepson'),
married Ursula Claiborne, daughter of William Claiborne (grandson of Secretary Claiborne), and had issue
Claiborne Gooch, eldest son ("Virginia Magazine of History and Biography", Vol. II., p. 318).
There is a little more to the article, including information on Sir William Gooch, governor of Virginia from 1727
to 1749, who was born in 1681, but had no direct descendants. ELC 2002
Martha married Thomas KENDALL [3404] [MRIN: 1424], son of ____________ ____________ and
Name Index
51 Produced by Legacy on Mar 26, 2009
(No surname)
Ann [162], 6
Ella D. [3043], 23
George Irwin [84], 17
Janie [3408], 22
Kate C [3012], 11
Lillian V [3066], 23
Lillie [3068], 22
Mary [308], 39